First Match

Craig

Just been looking through the 'On this day in history' section on .COM and it occurred to me that it is 20 years ago to the day since I first went to a match at SJP.

Opening game of the 1986-87 season we played double winners Liverpool and got well and truly stuff 2-0, goals coming from a certain Ian Rush.

They had a young keeper making his debut that day going by the name of Mike Hooper who looked solid as a rock. All in all we were lucky it was only 2-0 tbh.

I was in the East Stand about level with the edge of the penalty area at the Leazes end.

When were other people's first match they attended and where were they in the ground?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was against Charlton in either 86 or 87 and we won 2-1. Cornwell scored and it was the first and last football match my dad ever went to - he's not much of a football fan and only took me because my mam made him.

It was against Charlton in either 86 or 87 and we won 2-1.  Cornwell scored and it was the first and last football match my dad ever went to - he's not much of a football fan and only took me because my mam made him.

183593[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that game was the first one I missed after becoming a season ticket holder.

Had been a little shit to my mam all that morning and as a result Dad refused to take me ;)

1999 I think, away at Tottenham, might have been Dyer's debut, but certainly one of his first games, and thankfully one of Gullits last !

I think we lost 2-1, I was sat in the Spurs section, hated every bloody minute of it !

All I can remeber is getting served in the farmers rest when I was underage.

Must've been '94.

183631[/snapback]

That'll have been around the time I first went in there. Didn't you have to be underage to get served? ;)

First game seen at SJP was

Newcastle Under 19's v Watford Under 19's in about 86 (ish). Think it was the semi-final of the Youth Cup. Gazza and Joe Allon both played.

First proper game was sometime in 89 I think. All I remember was John Anderson got a given a car, I was baffled why footballers who earn a lot of money were handed free cars...

All I remember was John Anderson got a given a car, I was baffled why footballers who earn a lot of money were handed free cars...

183635[/snapback]

One of those Rover 214's with 'John Anderson drives for Benfield Motors' tackily written down the side of it no doubt?

My parents were once looking at new houses in Hexham and there sitting on the driveway of one of the neighbouring houses was a car with 'Mick Quinn drives for Benfield Motors' written down the side of it...

If ever there was an advert for where players live ;)

All I can remeber is getting served in the farmers rest when I was underage.

Must've been '94.

183631[/snapback]

That'll have been around the time I first went in there. Didn't you have to be underage to get served? ;)

183634[/snapback]

:blush:

Pubs in toon are a disgrace these days, can't get any of the young uns started early.

All I remember was John Anderson got a given a car, I was baffled why footballers who earn a lot of money were handed free cars...

183635[/snapback]

One of those Rover 214's with 'John Anderson drives for Benfield Motors' tackily written down the side of it no doubt?

My parents were once looking at new houses in Hexham and there sitting on the driveway of one of the neighbouring houses was a car with 'Mick Quinn drives for Benfield Motors' written down the side of it...

If ever there was an advert for where players live ;)

183640[/snapback]

:blush: Craig knows the make and model.

When subjects like this come on, I'm just glad Rob W frequents this forum so I am not the oldest.

Aparrently Rob's words at the time were: 'Football? It'll never catch on, man.' ;)

183652[/snapback]

It was the he came up with the idea of replacing the bit of rope with a crossbar.

My first game that I can remember was at home against Man City. I know we won 2-1 but not sure what year it was, When I was a kid my father used to take me to watch sunday league footy. Though Id sit in tha car and entertain myself mostly ;) That was late 70's early 80's.

My first game that I can remember was at home against Man City.  I know we won 2-1 but not sure what year it was, When I was a kid my father used to take me to watch sunday league footy.  Though Id sit in tha car and entertain myself mostly :blush:  That was late 70's early 80's.

183656[/snapback]

On this board you should know better than to say stuff like the bit in bold. Especially with a big grin on the end. ;)

My first game that I can remember was at home against Man City.  I know we won 2-1 but not sure what year it was, When I was a kid my father used to take me to watch sunday league footy.  Though Id sit in tha car and entertain myself mostly :blush:  That was late 70's early 80's.

183656[/snapback]

On this board you should know better than to say stuff like the bit in bold. Especially with a big grin on the end. ;)

183660[/snapback]

I know just what he means.....

When subjects like this come on, I'm just glad Rob W frequents this forum so I am not the oldest.

Aparrently Rob's words at the time were: 'Football? It'll never catch on, man.' ;)

183652[/snapback]

Would Rob's first game have been in the 60s then? I've got a strange feeling I know him.

Edited by GafferTape

Againt West Brom when Jack Charlton was manager (85?).

We won 1-0 thanks to a Pedro freekick. The only player I knew in our team before the game was Waddle (I wasn't interested in football til after this game) and the useless fucker was injured. That was the only game I went to that season and we sold him in the summer before I got my first season ticket the next year so I never saw him play for us.

My first game that I can remember was at home against Man City.  I know we won 2-1 but not sure what year it was, When I was a kid my father used to take me to watch sunday league footy.  Though Id sit in tha car and entertain myself mostly :pray:  That was late 70's early 80's.

183656[/snapback]

183660[/snapback]

I know just what he means.....

183661[/snapback]

Hey, I was young and has an enquisitive mind :blush:

and yes .... I should know better....