First Match

Craig

Spurs, first game of the 88-89 season. Finished 2-2 I think, Andy Thorn scored, and it was welcome to the ugly side of football as my abiding memory of that day is Spurs black players getting goaded with monkey chants for 90 minutes.

184002[/snapback]

One of the things I remember about my first game is Howard Gayle getting that treatment. And he was playing for us!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs, first game of the 88-89 season. Finished 2-2 I think, Andy Thorn scored, and it was welcome to the ugly side of football as my abiding memory of that day is Spurs black players getting goaded with monkey chants for 90 minutes.

184002[/snapback]

One of the things I remember about my first game is Howard Gayle getting that treatment. And he was playing for us!

184040[/snapback]

Shocking to think that just over 15 years ago black players were still getting some shocking racist abuse up here. Another one that comes to mind is Danny Wallace for Man Utd in 1990.

I think the first one I went to was against West Ham, in the old wooden west stand with my dad and grandad. Some sort of a fire in one of the ends???

First one I can properly remember was in the early eighties against Rotherham. Their manager was Emlyn Hughes, I was impressed because he was on Question of Sport.

184002[/snapback]

Wasn't that Gazza's first game for Spurs after leaving us? I remember him being pelted with frozen mars bars from the gallowgate corner :blink:

I think the first one I went to was against West Ham, in the old wooden west stand with my dad and grandad. Some sort of a fire in one of the ends???

184649[/snapback]

I only went in that stand once - Boxing Day 1986, we lost 4-0 to Everton.

Abiding memory is everyone stamping their feet simulataneously and the whole fucking thing felt like it was gonna collapse! :blink:

Here's Craig to tell you what started the fire, the temperatures it reached, and the name of the fireman who put it out. :lol:

184656[/snapback]

:blink: