Sir Bobby "stable"

Craig

A statement released on Wednesday evening confirmed that Sir Bobby Robson's operation to remove a cancerous tumour from his brain tumour had gone according to plan earlier in the day.

The 73 year-old is said to be stable in hospital as he recovers from the op. A further bulletin is expected to be issued on Thursday.

Earlier in the day Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder spoke about his predecessor:

"I have spoken to Sir Bobby in the last couple of days, and I am glad I managed to get through to him.

"I left a message on his mobile and typically of Sir Bobby, he called me back and we had a chat.

"He asked me a few questions about having the brain operation, and hopefully I allayed any fears that concerned him about after the operation when you wake up.

"It's the only time in my life I have been able to give him a spot of advice because any other time, I was always ringing him up.

"I can particularly remember when I was at West Ham doing that a few times and coming off the phone and thinking, `I have not got any problems because there is this man is approaching his 70th birthday with such enthusiasm for life`.

"When I spoke to him, he sounded very enthusiastic, as always, and very positive, as he always is.

"Of course, everyone at Newcastle United - and that is not just the people in the club, it's all our supporters and everyone who has got anything to do with Newcastle United -has their fingers crossed that he has a successful operation and comes back into football.

"I do not see Sir Bobby Robson ever retiring from football. One of the questions he asked was `How quickly did you go back to work?`

"I know what he was implying, he was thinking of how quickly he will be able to go back to work for Ireland.

"It's fingers crossed and let's hope all is well at the end of it and he moves on into a fairly new football career working with Ireland."

His time had come at Newcastle, but the bloke is still solid gold in my opinion.

Love that bit on "Just call me Bobby" when he's giving the camera crew a tour or St James's:

"Just look at the architraves on these doors!"

I try and remain detached from Football and not get too emotionally involved (Bliddy hard but when you're a Newcastle fan it's got to be done) but i'll be completely knocked for six the day Bobby passes on. He's a true legend and gave me a few utterly great seasons as a Newcastle United fan.

EDIT: I know the tribute was a bit premature. He's still alive and kicking and will be for a while yet.

Edited by Ted Maul

I try and remain detached from Football and not get too emotionally involved (Bliddy hard but when you're a Newcastle fan it's got to be done) but i'll be completely knocked for six the day Bobby passes on. He's a true legend and gave me a few utterly great seasons as a Newcastle United fan.

EDIT: I know the tribute was a bit premature. He's still alive and kicking and will be for a while yet.

183964[/snapback]

Totally agree.