Channel 4

catmag

Thing on at the moment about parents trying to get their kids into schools of their choice. There's just been a 10 year old kid on saying she's desperately worried that she might have to go to the *screws up face* local comprehensive where "all the criminals go!" Apparently there's some who want to get their kid into the local Catholic comp cos it's sooo much better :blush:;)

I can see this programme is going to annoy me. Bratty little shits!

Edited by catmag

Thing on at the moment about parents trying to get their kids into schools of their choice.  There's just been a 10 year old kid on saying she's desperately worried that she might have to go to the *screws up face* local comprehensive where "all the criminals go!" Apparently there's some who want to get their kid into the local Catholic comp cos it's sooo much better  :pray:  ;)

I can see this programme is going to annoy me.  Bratty little shits!

183846[/snapback]

Turn it over then ??? :blush:

Thing on at the moment about parents trying to get their kids into schools of their choice.  There's just been a 10 year old kid on saying she's desperately worried that she might have to go to the *screws up face* local comprehensive where "all the criminals go!" Apparently there's some who want to get their kid into the local Catholic comp cos it's sooo much better  :pray:  ;)

183846[/snapback]

183853[/snapback]

Nah, it'll get some of my anger out :puke:

183846[/snapback]

183853[/snapback]

Nah, it'll get some of my anger out :cantlook:

183859[/snapback]

I would watch it so I could shout at the telly for a bit but the other half is busy scouring all the sports channels for news of "his teams" new manager.. :puke:

183846[/snapback]

183853[/snapback]

Nah, it'll get some of my anger out :cantlook:

183859[/snapback]

I would watch it so I could shout at the telly for a bit but the other half is busy scouring all the sports channels for news of "his teams" new manager.. :puke:

183862[/snapback]

Roy Keane? Probably a good catholic school madeth the man.

Thing on at the moment about parents trying to get their kids into schools of their choice.  There's just been a 10 year old kid on saying she's desperately worried that she might have to go to the *screws up face* local comprehensive where "all the criminals go!" Apparently there's some who want to get their kid into the local Catholic comp cos it's sooo much better  :puke:  ;)

183846[/snapback]

Turn it over then ??? :pray:

183853[/snapback]

Nah, it'll get some of my anger out :blush:

183859[/snapback]

I would watch it so I could shout at the telly for a bit but the other half is busy scouring all the sports channels for news of "his teams" new manager.. :cantlook:

183862[/snapback]

Oh. My. Word. He's a....... mack.... a one of them?! :blush:

Thing on at the moment about parents trying to get their kids into schools of their choice.  There's just been a 10 year old kid on saying she's desperately worried that she might have to go to the *screws up face* local comprehensive where "all the criminals go!" Apparently there's some who want to get their kid into the local Catholic comp cos it's sooo much better  :cantlook:  ;)

183846[/snapback]

Turn it over then ??? :pray:

183853[/snapback]

Nah, it'll get some of my anger out :icon_lol:

183859[/snapback]

I would watch it so I could shout at the telly for a bit but the other half is busy scouring all the sports channels for news of "his teams" new manager.. :blush:

183862[/snapback]

Oh. My. Word. He's a....... mack.... a one of them?! :blush:

183868[/snapback]

unfortunately yes... :blush: but he is certainly no Catholic !! It's the Mack.../ Rangers versus the Toon / Celtic in our abode... :puke:

183846[/snapback]

Hehe - we've just fought tooth and nail to get Charlotte into the school of our choice.

I'd have 'whored' myself and lived in a cardboard box for the rest of my days to try to avoid her going in the school we're in the catchment area for - it's the lowest ranked on in Hampshire.

Personally I don't see an issue in trying to get your child in the school of your choice, however I do see the problem some people have in non-Catholics sending their kids to Catholic schools just because of the quality.

Wasn't there an Indian family not long back who converted religions just to get to a school which was connected to a church? :blush:

Hehe - we've just fought tooth and nail to get Charlotte into the school of our choice.

I'd have 'whored' myself and lived in a cardboard box for the rest of my days to try to avoid her going in the school we're in the catchment area for - it's the lowest ranked on in Hampshire.

Personally I don't see an issue in trying to get your child in the school of your choice,  however I do see the problem some people have in non-Catholics sending their kids to Catholic schools just because of the quality.

Wasn't there an Indian family not long back who converted religions just to get to a school which was connected to a church? ;)

183906[/snapback]

I can completely understand parents wanting the absolute best education for their children, it's the 'pushy parents' thing that I have more of a problem with. There was a family on the programme where the father was making his son attend 2 lots of private evening tutorials per week as well as 3 hours of revision per evening, 7 days a week to ensure his kid passed the entrance exam for the school he wanted him to go to. At one point they were having a normal conversation, the child said something and his father barked at him "What have I told you about mixing up your tenses when you're speaking?!" This child was about 10 years old and hadn't once been asked what HE wanted to do with his life or where he wanted to go to school. His father was completely obsessed with the child spending every spare moment learning at the expense of any kind of social activity. He had done this for a year before the exam for his child's "own good"

Personally I don't see an issue in trying to get your child in the school of your choice,  however I do see the problem some people have in non-Catholics sending their kids to Catholic schools just because of the quality.

Wasn't there an Indian family not long back who converted religions just to get to a school which was connected to a church? ;)

183906[/snapback]

I can completely understand parents wanting the absolute best education for their children, it's the 'pushy parents' thing that I have more of a problem with. There was a family on the programme where the father was making his son attend 2 lots of private evening tutorials per week as well as 3 hours of revision per evening, 7 days a week to ensure his kid passed the entrance exam for the school he wanted him to go to. At one point they were having a normal conversation, the child said something and his father barked at him "What have I told you about mixing up your tenses when you're speaking?!" This child was about 10 years old and hadn't once been asked what HE wanted to do with his life or where he wanted to go to school. His father was completely obsessed with the child spending every spare moment learning at the expense of any kind of social activity. He had done this for a year before the exam for his child's "own good"

183911[/snapback]

Then the child will surely end up rebelling against it or, at best possible scenario, will be saturated with knowledge?

You should guide kids, but they should be the driving force, even at this age.

Bring back the 11+, it'd sort out a lot of the problems early on and is the reason why N. Ireland consistently achieves the best results in the UK.

183981[/snapback]

Is the punishment beating and bigotry A level, exam or course work based?

183983[/snapback]

Fantastic, intelligent and insightful.

Cunt.

The 11+ was no bad thing really. People complain about elitism but secondary education seems too geared towards getting kids to do A-levels and go onto University when many would clearly be better off doing a plumbing aprenticeship or something.

The 11+ was no bad thing really. People complain about elitism but secondary education seems too geared towards getting kids to do A-levels and go onto University when many would clearly be better off doing a plumbing aprenticeship or something.

184042[/snapback]

Aye, exactly. Whereas now you just get qualified Poles and Lithuanians coming over to take all the manual labour jobs that nobody here can actually do, and a bunch of debt-laden 21-year-olds with 2:2s from the University of South-East Shropshire. Whoopee.

Well, I'm a modest man, but my team is currently running a project that's teaching school leavers (actually, any age to 60) construction skills. Massive gap in the market, loads of kids wanting to do it but Newcastle College are selective in who they take on theirs for fear of losing ££££.

We raaack.

183846[/snapback]

Personally I don't see an issue in trying to get your child in the school of your choice, however I do see the problem some people have in non-Catholics sending their kids to Catholic schools just because of the quality.

Wasn't there an Indian family not long back who converted religions just to get to a school which was connected to a church? :blush:

183906[/snapback]

I sent my non catholic daughter to a catholic school because the education was better. I also had my kids christened even though I consider organised religion to be the cause of most evil in the planet. The system stinks

I sent my non catholic daughter to a catholic school because the education was better. I also had my kids christened even though I consider organised religion to be the cause of most evil in the planet. The system stinks

184071[/snapback]

It's the sensible thing to do nowadays though. Getting a child christened Catholic gives you more of a choice when it comes to schools, if the Catholic school in the area is the best then they've got a much better chance of getting in.

184071[/snapback]

It's the sensible thing to do nowadays though. Getting a child christened Catholic gives you more of a choice when it comes to schools, if the Catholic school in the area is the best then they've got a much better chance of getting in.

184073[/snapback]

We will see if the hypocrisy has been worthwhile in the next hour when the GCSE results arrive

184071[/snapback]

184073[/snapback]

We will see if the hypocrisy has been worthwhile in the next hour when the GCSE results arrive

184079[/snapback]

3xA*,6xA and one B. proud father moment

184071[/snapback]

184073[/snapback]

184079[/snapback]

184092[/snapback]

Now you can spend the rest of the day telling them how much harder they were in your day.

Well done to your daughter.

184071[/snapback]

184073[/snapback]

184079[/snapback]

184092[/snapback]

Congrats!

184071[/snapback]

184073[/snapback]

184079[/snapback]

184092[/snapback]

Nice one, now start saving for her university place!