English refs, what a bunch of pricks!

Papa Lazaru

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like Brazil, but he doesn't half talk a lot of shit.  When I say I like him, I just think it's quality the way he lives the life of Reilly, constantly leeching at big sporting events, not turning into work if he's had a bit too much to drink and that.  His craic can be funny at times too, although he takes some weird stances on a lot of things and is as tactless as it gets.

184030[/snapback]

Fairly tactless

Alan Brazil: It was sad to hear this morning of the death of John Shaw.

Mike Parry: John Thaw, Alan.

Alan Brazil: Do you know, I keep getting his name wrong. John, if you're listening, sorry mate.

Talk Sport No Nonsense Breakfast, February 22, 2002.

Aye, he's hopeless. :blink: I've mentioned this one before but the one where he followed up a news report on the Bali bombing immediately with "And now to the sport, and Wayne Rooney set off 3 bombs of his own last night" after Rooney scored a hat trick in the CL was Alan Partridge-tastic.

Aye, he's hopeless. :blink:  I've mentioned this one before but the one where he followed up a news report on the Bali bombing immediately with "And now to the sport, and Wayne Rooney set off 3 bombs of his own last night" after Rooney scored a hat trick in the CL was Alan Partridge-tastic.

184174[/snapback]

Oh dear. :lol:

Thatcher should be hung, drawn and quartered just for his surname but that 'tackle' was horrendous.

I agree with Alex, this rule is ridiculous, implying that if a ref saw it then he must have seen it correctly and is there for infallible, which is an equally ridiculous notion.

Thatcher faces FA & police probes

By John May

The Football Association and Greater Manchester Police are to launch investigations into Ben Thatcher's challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes.

Manchester City defender Thatcher was shown a yellow card after knocking Mendes out with his arm.

An FA spokesman said it will investigate whether they can take further action against Thatcher.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed it had received complaints which it is "duty bound" to investigate.

Mendes needed oxygen at the pitchside and was later taken to hospital after Thatcher's arm propelled the Portuguese midfielder into advertising hoardings.

Thatcher could escape punishment as referees are not allowed to retrospectively upgrade yellow cards.

An FA spokesman said: "We are looking at whether this may possibly be an exceptional case and what options may exist under our disciplinary regulations."

A Fifa spokesman confirmed to BBC sport: "It is one of the fundamental rules of the game that the referee's decision is final.

"Therefore, if it is his decision that an offence warrants a yellow card, that cannot be changed later."

Greater Manchester Police confirmed it had received a number of complaints about the incident and that they would be talking to both clubs, Mendes and Thatcher.

A GMP statement added: "From those talks, GMP will decide whether any further action will be taken.

"There is no official criminal investigaton but GMP is duty bound to investigate the complaints."

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp was incensed by the challenge and urged the FA to take retrospective action against Thatcher.

Redknapp said: "The FA have to do something, it is there for all to see.

"I do not want to see anyone suspended but how could that possibly not be a red card?

"What do you have to do to get a red, kill someone?"

Mendes travelled back to Portsmouth after overnight observation and a club statement said: "He will continue to be under medical and neurological supervision during the forthcoming week."

By the way, it looks like someone agrees with Brazil (from football365):

What a load of rubbish I've heard so far about this tackle!! Talk of getting the police involved, charging him with GBH etc, come on people get a grip!! The job of a defender is to stop the opposition from scoring - could Mendes have scored from the ambulance? No, therefore Thatcher has done his job. Okay, he got a yellow for a bit of argy-bargy and he had to be careful for the rest of the match, but all in all he did the business.

:blink:

By the way, it looks like someone agrees with Brazil (from football365):

What a load of rubbish I've heard so far about this tackle!! Talk of getting the police involved, charging him with GBH etc, come on people get a grip!! The job of a defender is to stop the opposition from scoring - could Mendes have scored from the ambulance? No, therefore Thatcher has done his job. Okay, he got a yellow for a bit of argy-bargy and he had to be careful for the rest of the match, but all in all he did the business.

:blink:

184379[/snapback]

:lol:

It was a bad challenge, but I didn't think it was that bad tbh. No need for the police to get involved. On a selfish note, I've got Mendez in my fantasy football team, so get well soon Pedro.

184184[/snapback]

Gemmill's tackle on Isegrim was far worse tbh :blink:

On a serious note, Thatcher is a dirty shite-bag and I hope they thow the book at him for this one - fucking disgraceful!

It was a bad challenge, but I didn't think it was that bad tbh. No need for the police to get involved. On a selfish note, I've got Mendez in my fantasy football team, so get well soon Pedro.

184184[/snapback]

184622[/snapback]

He tried to kill me IIRC, I definitely heard him shout 'Take this you penalty scoring Kraut bastard". I should report him to the police tbh.

184184[/snapback]

184622[/snapback]

He tried to kill me IIRC, I definitely heard him shout 'Take this you penalty scoring Kraut bastard". I should report him to the police tbh.

184638[/snapback]

Seeing as you and I were both on the exiles team, you have a willing, credible witness too! :lol: