Poor Pluto :'(

Meenzer

Pluto has been considered a planet since its discovery in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh.

Erm, no it hasn't. There has always been a debate about it. It was only officially declared as a planet in the last 20 years.

By the way - didn't they find that it had it's own moon? The problem being that neither the moon, or Pluto are actually visible to us through any telescope; it all looks like a big haze.

I learned all this stuff from that Bill Bryson book.  Astronomy was one of those things that just passed me by as a kid.

184296[/snapback]

:blink:

Reading it at the moment.

184298[/snapback]

Good innit? As potted histories on all the stuff you really didn't give a shit about at schools go. Is that what's spawned the interest in the telescope?

I learned all this stuff from that Bill Bryson book.  Astronomy was one of those things that just passed me by as a kid.

184296[/snapback]

:lol:

Reading it at the moment.

184298[/snapback]

Good innit? As potted histories on all the stuff you really didn't give a shit about at schools go. Is that what's spawned the interest in the telescope?

184309[/snapback]

:blush:

Maybe. :blink:

It's a fantastic book. Always been into the sciences anyway, but I'd have paid more attention at school if this book had been available back then.

The Eskimo Nebula is probably the most amasing thing in space like. I've got this canny astronomy book called 'Universe' which is canny technical and academical but it comes with a handy CD to pinpoint where you are and what you should be able to see.

Just seen on the news this morning that the way Pluto was downgraded was for lots of geeks in the astronomy world to put their hands up and vote yay or nay as to whether it should be so. Seems a bit unfair really! What would have been the harm in just leaving it as it was? :blink:

The Eskimo Nebula is probably the most amasing thing in space like. I've got this canny astronomy book called 'Universe' which is canny technical and academical but it comes with a handy CD to pinpoint where you are and what you should be able to see.

184319[/snapback]

You need a CD to tell you where you are?

Just seen on the news this morning that the way Pluto was downgraded was for lots of geeks in the astronomy world to put their hands up and vote yay or nay as to whether it should be so.  Seems a bit unfair really!  What would have been the harm in just leaving it as it was?  :lol:

184729[/snapback]

Maybe the fact that it's not "actually" a planet? :blink:

Just seen on the news this morning that the way Pluto was downgraded was for lots of geeks in the astronomy world to put their hands up and vote yay or nay as to whether it should be so.  Seems a bit unfair really!  What would have been the harm in just leaving it as it was?  :lol:

184729[/snapback]

Maybe the fact that it's not "actually" a planet? :blink:

184995[/snapback]

On the news they said if you include Pluto you have to include a load of other bits of rock/ice that are just as big, if not bigger, so it was simpler to just drop Pluto.