Confirmed: Martins is the new number nine

Jimbo

“I prefer No 9 and I was so happy when I learned the manager was willing to give it to me.

“I’m not trying to measure up myself with Shearer because he is a legend at Newcastle.

“But wearing his jersey will give me more motivation and hopefully I can enjoy the same success.”

“I’m looking forward to my first match and I think the confidence placed in me by everybody at the club will be turned into superb performances.

“I’m here to score goals. Playing well will be a plus, a kind of bonus.

“I’ve always wanted to play in the Premiership. It is a long dream that has been fulfilled.

“Back home in Nigeria, we are first introduced to the Premiership as teenagers playing street football. There are various fan clubs there, supporting one English club or another. I hope my coming here will make people back home form a fans club for Newcastle.

“I speak English back home in Nigeria. Therefore England is like playing at home. I have so many friends here and would not need to learn the language. If I’m bored I’ll call Daniel Shittu, Mikel Obi, Yobo or Kanu. They will look after me.”

“I speak English back home in Nigeria. Therefore England is like playing at home. I have so many friends here and would not need to learn the language. If I’m bored I’ll call Daniel Shittu, Mikel Obi, Yobo or Kanu. They will look after me.”

184708[/snapback]

But not Baba. :blink:

184708[/snapback]

184909[/snapback]

He wouldn't need to call him, would he? :lol: Anyway, he means if he gets bored of Baba and Shola :blush:

184708[/snapback]

184909[/snapback]

they fell out playing youth football together :lol:

martinsnr9ds4.png

Exclusive: Martins On Cloud 9!

By Ian Willis

OBAFEMI Martins says he has no problems wearing the number 9 shirt at St. James' Park - and insists he is ready for the challenge of replacing Alan Shearer.

Martins was handed the legendary shirt after completing his move from Inter Milan on Thursday, and says he can't wait to try and follow in the footsteps of the former skipper.

Martins told Newcastle World TV: "Alan Shearer was something else - he was a great player.

"I want to score goals at this club, and I have confidence in myself that I will do that.

"I hope, by the grace of God, that I can be a great replacement for Alan Shearer."

martinsnr9ds4.png
Exclusive: Martins On Cloud 9!

By Ian Willis

OBAFEMI Martins says he has no problems wearing the number 9 shirt at St. James' Park - and insists he is ready for the challenge of replacing Alan Shearer.

Martins was handed the legendary shirt after completing his move from Inter Milan on Thursday, and says he can't wait to try and follow in the footsteps of the former skipper.

Martins told Newcastle World TV: "Alan Shearer was something else - he was a great player.

"I want to score goals at this club, and I have confidence in myself that I will do that.

"I hope, by the grace of God, that I can be a great replacement for Alan Shearer."

184921[/snapback]

What a wanker. Still talking about Shearer! :lol:

:blink:

martinsnr9ds4.png

184921[/snapback]

Looks weird seeing our number nine shirt without the name 'SHEARER' on it. Probably doesn't help that it's the same shirt as last season though....

martinsnr9ds4.png

184921[/snapback]

Looks weird seeing our number nine shirt without the name 'SHEARER' on it. Probably doesn't help that it's the same shirt as last season though....

184940[/snapback]

Shearer's a legend and will never be forgotten, but its time to move on, I can only see the continued Shearer worship being detrimental to the current squad.

martinsnr9ds4.png

184921[/snapback]

184940[/snapback]

Shearer's a legend and will never be forgotten, but its time to move on, I can only see the continued Shearer worship being detrimental to the current squad.

184952[/snapback]

Oh I totally agree.

It's just visually it looks weird - guess that's what happens when you've had a player at the club for so long. Man Utd fans probably feel similar about Carrick wearing 16.

martinsnr9ds4.png

184921[/snapback]

184940[/snapback]

184952[/snapback]

Oh I totally agree.

It's just visually it looks weird - guess that's what happens when you've had a player at the club for so long. Man Utd fans probably feel similar about Carrick wearing 16.

184965[/snapback]

Agreed, I was refering to the chanting more than anything.

OBAFEMI Martins will be unveiled to the media at St. James' Park this afternoon at a 2pm press conference.

The striker, who penned a five-year deal on Thursday after agreeing to move from Inter MIlan, was given a rapturous welcome when he walked out onto the pitch ahead of last night's UEFA Cup qualifying game with FK Ventspils.

Martins confirmed on Friday that he will take over the number 9 shirt from Alan Shearer, and we will bring you more reaction from the new boy later on today.

martinsnr9ds4.png

184921[/snapback]

184940[/snapback]

184952[/snapback]

Oh I totally agree.

184965[/snapback]

It does look a bit.....odd.

Best thing too do tho, not lingering on the past n'all that.

He could have the 69 shirt for all I care, it's the player who's important; not his number.

185189[/snapback]

Is this still the bitter undertones of us not getting Kuyt? <_<