Alberto Luque

Tooj

A new name entered the frame on Friday as our striker search moved on to Spain - Albert Luque, a left-sided forward who has already faced us twice this season for his present club, Deportivo La Coruna.

From the Times, Friday:

NEWCASTLE UNITED were last night haggling over a price with Deportivo La Coruña for Albert Luque as they inched towards a breakthrough in the transfer market.

Having made a last-ditch attempt to scupper Frédéric Kanouté’s £4.4 million move from Tottenham Hotspur to Seville, they turned their attention to a forward who recently played against them in the Intertoto Cup.

Luque, 27, appeared in both legs of Deportivo’s semi-final victory over Newcastle and with an ability to play on the left of midfield or in attack, the Spain international replicates the qualities Graeme Souness identified in Luis Boa Morte, a longstanding target, who Fulham are now determined to keep.

Luque has previously been linked with Real Madrid and Barcelona, while Liverpool made an offer for him several months ago.

As has been the case with Boa Morte and Nicolas Anelka — for whom a second, undisclosed offer was rejected by Fenerbahçe on Wednesday —fees have been a thorny issue for Newcastle this summer and Deportivo value the forward at about £10 million.

Luque is enthusiastic. “English football is excellent and I have no doubt that I could play in the Premiership, ” he said*.

* That's a quote from June 2005 when the player was linked with Liverpool and said:

"English football is excellent and I have no doubt that I could play in the Premiership.

"My characteristics will suit English football and the supporters will be happy with my style and the goals I would score."

Marca in Spain is more specific, under the headline "El Newcastle llega a un acuerdo con Luque por cinco temporadas" ("Newcastle reaches agreement with Luque for five seasons")

The paper claims that Newcastle officials had spent Thursday in Coruna negotiating a five year deal for the player and offering €14m (£9.5m) - Deportivo's valuation being put at €15m by the paper, being the amount they paid for him in 2002.

Deportivo's coach Joaquín Caparrós was quoted last month as saying:

"I’m one of those who think there is no essential player and that a good selling means to take five steps ahead.”

However it appears that Liverpool before them, Newcastle could have the advantage over other rivals for Luque's signature that they aren't Primera Liga rivals of Deportivo.

Magpies scout David Mills watched Luque play against Koprivnica earlier this season, while compiling a report for Graeme Souness on our Intertoto opponents, returning from Spain talking about Deportivo having "some very talented individuals..."

If the deal goes through, Deportivo themselves would be looking to bring in a new striker, with the likes of Marc Viduka and Carlton Cole having been mentioned on Spanish websites recently.

Biog:

Born in Terrassa, Barcelona, joined Barca as a youngster but discarded by then -coach Louis van Gaal at the age of 19.

Signed for Mallorca in 1997, played for the B team and then first team in 1999 was

loaned to Málaga.

Played for Spain's side in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, winning a silver medal. 

Returned to Mallorca to become a first team regular in 2001.

Selected for Spanish side in June 2002 and made two appearances in the World Cup finals as a sub (v South Africa and the Republic of Ireland).

Moved to Deportivo a few months later and established himself in the first team for the 2003/04 season, making a sub appearance in Euro 2004 for Spain (v Portugal).

Barcelona then attempted to re-sign Luque but failed to match his valuation. He's also been linked with close season moves to Real Madrid, Liverpool, Seville and Atletico Madrid.

Luque featured for Spain as they won 2-0 on Wednesday in Gijon against Uruguay.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like that but obviously the chances would be quite slim, especially when you look at the standard of other teams linked to him and the strong Spanish connection Liverpool have.

14812[/snapback]

yeah but we can increase wages and offer him gaurenteed football still might not get him though!

call me blonde but...

i cant recall seeing him in the depotiva side that played us, he was maybe in both legs, but thtas the worrying part;  i didnt really notice him.

9m is alot for an anonymous plaayer!

14836[/snapback]

To be fair people said the same about Van Bommell when we played PSV with many going on to say he wasn`t good enough for us.

Since then hes moved onto Barcelona, not a bad move for someone not good enough to get a game for us.

The way things have gone this pre-season, and given the rapidly-receding transfer window, my philosophy is if they accept the bid and he agrees terms, then just sign the fucker. We'll worry about whether he's any good later.

Sky Sports website are saying we have agreed terms with him and are close to agreeing a fee.

This would be typical of us if it comes off. We spend half the summer haggling over a fee for LBM and then end up paying double for what you have to say is our second choice!

I really can't see why they'd sell him though.

EDIT: Although they must want to, if they're letting us talk to him. I bet we've only bid £3m :blink:

14936[/snapback]

Apparenly holding out for 10m...our bid...apparently...is only 7.5m......bleeding typical......we need a player of his type to play up front, left side of midfield and we are missing them about....pay the money and run....I personally think we will be getting a bargain!

I really can't see why they'd sell him though.

EDIT: Although they must want to, if they're letting us talk to him. I bet we've only bid £3m :blink:

14936[/snapback]

Apparenly holding out for 10m...our bid...apparently...is only 7.5m......bleeding typical......we need a player of his type to play up front, left side of midfield and we are missing them about....pay the money and run....I personally think we will be getting a bargain!

14941[/snapback]

£10m for Jenas to Spurs = £10m for Luque from us. Simple ain't it.

this is getting rediculus now,if he put an off in on july 1st of 7.5 million and tried to get a bargain thats fine b'cos you have got time to up it if need be,now it is august the 19th and theres no time tyo negotiate a deal,10 million onm the table and fuck off back to tyneside with a world class player,wat is wrong with this club,it's like when he puts the bid surely he knows its going to be rejected,i think its all a smokescreen,he put that bid in to excite us knowing it wasn't going to be accepted!

TOSSER!

:blink:;):rolleyes::(:(:stars::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::icon_lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::third::third:

..................AP G

2004 - 2005 37 11 Deportivo de La Coruña

2003 - 2004 32 8 Deportivo de La Coruña

2002 - 2003 31 8 Deportivo de La Coruña

2001 - 2002 36 14 RCD Mallorca

2000 - 2001 32 10 RCD Mallorca

1999 - 2000 23 4 Málaga CF

1998 - 1999 5 0 RCD Mallorca

Not bad. :blink: