France deliver Makelele warning

Bombadil

France deliver Makelele warning 

France coach Raymond Domenech has warned Chelsea's Claude Makelele he risks a two-game club ban if he fails to report for the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

The 33-year-old is in France's squad for games against Georgia and Italy, despite announcing his retirement after the World Cup final loss to Italy.

Domenech wants Makelele to play and any player who refuses an international call-up can be hit with a domestic ban.

And Domenech insisted: "We still have the law for us."

Domenech added: "We had a discussion with Makelele but I didn't ask for his opinion.

"For me it would be unthinkable to see a great player playing for a great club not playing for his national team.

"A player who refuses to accept a selection is liable to a two-match suspension.

"I had a discussion with Jose Mourinho, as I often do with the coaches of our international players, but it was not a matter of reaching an agreement over Makelele.

"I told him where I stood, he told me where he stood. We still have the law for us.

"I spoke a lot with Claude and told him that he was not obliged to come and play with us, but also that it would be better if he did feel obliged to."

How stupid is that?

Edited by Bombadil

International teams should have no rights or power over players full stop as clubs pay their tranfer fee, wages, insurance and the like and in any other walk of life they wouldn't have any rights.

To do it to a player who is retired is ludicrous even by football officialdom's usually moronic standards!