Lawro's predictions

Jimbo

SUNDAY

Aston Villa v Newcastle

(1400 BST)

Match preview

Prediction: 2-1

The force is with Villa and a lot of that is down to the Martin O'Neill factor - he has already improved the players' work rate and general performances.

Newcastle still seem like a work in progress, and they seem a bit disjointed. I felt they were fortunate to beat Wigan.

It would be fantastic to get three points, especially as Fulham at home is our next game. We could really get off to a great start this time, which would make for a nice change. Hopefully Shola will be fit for Sunday.

It would be fantastic to get three points, especially as Fulham at home is our next game. We could really get off to a great start this time, which would make for a nice change. Hopefully Shola will be fit for Sunday.

185190[/snapback]

Very true, if we can put in good effort and get a win at Villa it sets us up for what is as good a game as you can ask for in Fulham at home and you could be sitting there with 9 pts from 3 games, compared to normal when we'd have about 1 point!

The confidence a good start can give you is massive in football and its something we haven't had in a long while.

Inter-toto/Uefa qualifying rounds help for a good start I reckon. Far better than playing pre-season friendlies.

185206[/snapback]

Our best season under SBR came from playing intertoto (and also getting knocked out of it when he played 3-5-2) meaning we hit the premiership at full speed.

The difference this time round would be that we will have uefa games whereas that season we started well and didn't have the euro games midweek so got plenty of rest, but hopefully we'll juggle the two and make the most of both.

Inter-toto/Uefa qualifying rounds help for a good start I reckon. Far better than playing pre-season friendlies.

185206[/snapback]

Our best season under SBR came from playing intertoto (and also getting knocked out of it when he played 3-5-2) meaning we hit the premiership at full speed.

The difference this time round would be that we will have uefa games whereas that season we started well and didn't have the euro games midweek so got plenty of rest, but hopefully we'll juggle the two and make the most of both.

185211[/snapback]

I know. We came 4th that season didn't we? It was definitely helped by the good start we had. To be fair to SBR, I think Shearer being injured was the biggest factor in the InterToto. You hate that formation don't you? <_<

Edited by alex

who thinks we should give 3-5-2 a go this season?  <_<

185221[/snapback]

;)

I think we should try it, but cleverly change it slightly by playing one of the 5 further back, making it into a sort of 4-4-2 formation if you like! ;)