Woodgate to spend year in England

Craig

Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate is weighing up offers from three Premiership clubs.

The Sun says the England defender is mulling over offers from Liverpool, Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

But Kop boss Rafa Benitez is confident the lure of Champions League football will see Woody, 26, pick Anfield to revitalise his career. The Reds manager was talking with Real chiefs last night.

The £13.4million centre-back is back to full fitness after two years of back, thigh and hamstring injury hell, which limited him to just 14 Real games.

His chances in Spain have also not been helped by the arrival of Italy's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro this summer.

Madrid boss Fabio Capello wants Woodgate to prove his troubles are over by playing regularly in the Premiership.

The former Leeds and Newcastle star was told he can leave on a season-long loan in a meeting with Real bosses after training yesterday.

They are even prepared to continue paying a large slice of his £70,000 a week wages while he is in England.

Source: http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=9219

I can imagine that us, Pool and Smogs will definately be in for him and probably some other clubs as well.

Since Arse, manu and Chelski probably won't go for him it'll be between us and Liverpool and you wouldn't blame him for choosing CL football and a possible shot at the tilte.

He's one of those players, I wouldn't be surprised chose us or even Boro over Liverpool. It's a season to prove his fitness, not necessarily permanent.

He's one of those players, I wouldn't be surprised chose us or even Boro over Liverpool.  It's a season to prove his fitness, not necessarily permanent.

185208[/snapback]

Yeah, you can't rule that out, the smogs are his home team and he's played for us before and if you believe him wants to play for us again soemtime, so he could end up anywhere.

Personally i think unless one of the teams i mentioned come in for him then its us versus Pool for his signature.

Shepherd takes his number 6 shirt (which he didn't wear) to bed with him every night, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's happy to spunk away a couple of million quid to have him in the treatment room for a season.

RAFA DISMISSES WOODGATE LINK

Steve Hunter 25 August 2006

Rafael Benitez has dimissed speculation linking him with a move for Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Friday morning newspapers were linking the Liverpool boss with a swoop for the former Leeds United centre half but Benitez insists the rumours are wide of the mark.

"We are not talking with Woodgate," commented Benitez. "It is a rumour and the first I heard of it was in the newspapers. There is no interest in this player.

"It is true we have injuries to defenders. Carra is injured and can't play for England. It's not a serious injury and he could be back for the Merseyside derby.

"Riise and Warnock are out for 10 to 15 days and Gabriel Paletta is injured after he had a kick on his knee."

Link

Shepherd takes his number 6 shirt (which he didn't wear) to bed with him every night, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's happy to spunk away a couple of million quid to have him in the treatment room for a season.

185215[/snapback]

<_< Do you want him here or not then?

185215[/snapback]

<_< Do you want him here or not then?

185219[/snapback]

;)

I wish everyone would just get over him. We all know how good he is when he plays, that's not in dispute. But nor should it be in dispute that he never plays. So therefore it shouldn't be in dispute that we shouldn't waste any money of him.

I mean, what's to dispute here? ;)

We took a chance of him when we bought him, given his track record. The only reason the risk paid off in the end was because we got someone else to take an even bigger risk on him. We were laughing all the way to the bank. Let's not go back there.

He was fucking brilliant though  <_<

185301[/snapback]

When he was fit, which was about 1 in 3 of the games Newcastle played in the time he was here.

He was fucking brilliant though  ;)

185301[/snapback]

When he was fit, which was about 1 in 3 of the games Newcastle played in the time he was here.

185302[/snapback]

Yeah....I know.....but when he played it was....well...........ace <_<

I agree with Gemmill. There's no way we should waste our time and money on someone who is going to be injured all of the time anyway. No doubt Fat Fred is already using his 'special relationship' to try and get him in though.

185301[/snapback]

185302[/snapback]

I'd take him for 20 games a season, but as U said before, I still reckon we'd need another CB in.

185301[/snapback]

185302[/snapback]

I'd take him for 20 games a season, but as U said before, I still reckon we'd need another CB in.

185314[/snapback]

Woody, Taylor, Moore. Titus and Rambo (even Hunty) ?? Think we have a lot of cover in that area. Need to strenghten the full back positions me thinks first.

Benitez says no according to official site.

185313[/snapback]

Yep. On Skysports too

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+out+Woody+move

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has rejected reports linking him with a move for Real Madrid ace Jonathan Woodgate.

Reports on Friday suggested Liverpool were lining up a loan move for the former Leeds and Tottenham defender.

Real are thought to be willing to listen to offers for Woodgate as he does not figure in Fabio Capello's long-term plans.

Speculation had suggested that Benitez may move for Woodgate after Jamie Carragher, Gabriel Paletta, John Arne Riise and Stephen Warnock all picked up knocks

"We are not talking with Woodgate," said Benitez. "It is a rumour and the first I heard of it was in the newspapers. There is no interest in this player.

"It is true we have injuries to defenders. Carra is injured and can't play for England. It's not a serious injury and he could be back for the Merseyside derby.

"Riise and Warnock are out for 10 to 15 days and Gabriel Paletta is injured after he had a kick on his knee."

Turning his attentions to the UEFA Champions League draw, Benitez was fairly satisfied after Liverpool were pitted against PSV Eindhoven, Galatasaray and Bordeaux

"This isn't the worst group for us to be in but it isn't the best group either," added Benitez.

"It's never easy against Galatasaray; PSV have quality and European tradition and Bordeaux are a team with good players.

"But it will be better to have qualified before going to Galatasaray."

Well the rumour I've just heard is that we're offering a "pay as he plays" deal to Real Madrid with them paying his wages when he's injured.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'd be happy with that...

Well the rumour I've just heard is that we're offering a "pay as he plays" deal to Real Madrid with them paying his wages when he's injured.

185336[/snapback]

Aren't deals with mentally ill null and void in England?

185336[/snapback]

:o;)

185352[/snapback]

You heard it too? ;)

Fancy that! <_<