Woodgate to spend year in England

Craig

I just been reading that its Boro in for him on loan...

185451[/snapback]

Thats what i've just heard. I thought Roeder had already dismissed the possibility of us taking him back a few times already... Best defender ever not to have played!

Probably for the best we dont take him back, he would only bugger off back to madrid if he did ever find his fitness again and make me feel <_< again

Edited by JohnB

Real Madrid's central defender Jonathan Woodgate has agreed to a loan move back to the Premiership, with Middlesbrough expected to secure his services. Madrid officials have met Woodgate and informed him that they are looking to loan him out for a season so that he can prove his fitness after making only nine league appearances since joining from Newcastle United for £13.4m in August 2004.

Although Woodgate was expected to start Madrid's first game of the season against Villarreal tomorrow night, because of a suspension to Sergio Ramos, he has slipped down the pecking order at the Bernabéu on the arrival of Fabio Cannavaro from Juventus. Real's coach Fabio Capello is also keen to sign Roma's Christian Chivu as Cannavaro's partner, and that would mean the former Leeds player becoming Madrid's fourth choice for a centre-back role.

Rather than continue on the bench, Madrid are keen for him to play regular football in a bid to put his injury problems behind him. Although he is reluctant to leave, the England defender has accepted the proposal to seek a season-long loan in England. He believes that he owes Madrid a debt of gratitude for keeping faith with him for so long, but he is keen to return to Spain once the loan spell is over.

"I wanted to fight for my place at Real Madrid but the club have advised me that I need to be playing week in, week out," Woodgate said. "If I have to go to the Premiership to do that, then so be it."

Liverpool and Newcastle were also linked with a move for Woodgate, who is paid £70,000 a week at Real Madrid, but both clubs yesterday denied any interest. Having made four new signings, Madrid are now busy trying to offload players in order to reduce the size of their squad: during one pre-season game there was no room on the bench for all the substitutes.

The former Everton midfielder Thomas Gravesen, who has been training in Denmark rather than Madrid, is also set to depart, and Madrid are studying possibilities for Ronaldo and Julio Baptista. As well as Woodgate, Madrid are looking to move on fellow centre-backs Ivan Helguera, Alvaro Mejia and Paco Pavon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5288358.stm

Defender Jonathan Woodgate says he will play on loan in England this season.

The injury-plagued 26-year-old Real Madrid defender has played just 14 competitive games in two years.

"I'm going to go on loan for a year and I'll know which team I'm going to join in the next few days," said the England international central defender.

"I like all the English teams that want me and it would be a positive step to go back. I need to play games to show I'm strong and completely recovered."

But Woodgate insisted he wants to stay with Real in the long term.

"At Real Madrid it is difficult to have any continuity, but in a year I will come back to Madrid to prove that I am a good footballer."

Woodgate joined Real on a four-year deal from Newcastle United in August 2004 for £13.4m despite suffering from a serious thigh injury when he was signed.

He did not play his first league match for Real until September 2005.

His debut was the stuff of nightmares when he scored an own goal and was sent off against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.

Woodgate then picked up a series of injuries to his ankle and thigh.

He was on the verge of earning a return to the England squad in November when he suffered a hamstring tear in a league match against Real Zaragoza.

He failed to play again last season after suffering a recurrence of the injury in Real's 1-0 Champions League defeat by Arsenal in February.

The arrivals of new coach Fabio Capello and Italy's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro have reduced Woodgate's chances of getting regular games at the club.

He has played a total of 14 competitive games for Real since joining them two years ago, nine in the league, three in the Champions League and two in the King's Cup.

But why should he go on loan to Newcastle ?

I've heard rumours about he's not very welcome in Newcastle after all  <_<

185560[/snapback]

I disagree, I think most Newcastle fans would agree that Woodgate, when fit, is the best defender the club has ever had.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5288358.stm

Defender Jonathan Woodgate says he will play on loan in England this season.

The injury-plagued 26-year-old Real Madrid defender has played just 14 competitive games in two years.

"I'm going to go on loan for a year and I'll know which team I'm going to join in the next few days," said the England international central defender.

"I like all the English teams that want me and it would be a positive step to go back. I need to play games to show I'm strong and completely recovered."

But Woodgate insisted he wants to stay with Real in the long term.

"At Real Madrid it is difficult to have any continuity, but in a year I will come back to Madrid to prove that I am a good footballer."

Woodgate joined Real on a four-year deal from Newcastle United in August 2004 for £13.4m despite suffering from a serious thigh injury when he was signed.

He did not play his first league match for Real until September 2005.

His debut was the stuff of nightmares when he scored an own goal and was sent off against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.

Woodgate then picked up a series of injuries to his ankle and thigh.

He was on the verge of earning a return to the England squad in November when he suffered a hamstring tear in a league match against Real Zaragoza.

He failed to play again last season after suffering a recurrence of the injury in Real's 1-0 Champions League defeat by Arsenal in February.

The arrivals of new coach Fabio Capello and Italy's World Cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro have reduced Woodgate's chances of getting regular games at the club.

He has played a total of 14 competitive games for Real since joining them two years ago, nine in the league, three in the Champions League and two in the King's Cup.

185550[/snapback]

That to me suggests that it could be us.......

Or Leeds? <_<

Think you're reading too much into that, Craig, but I hope you're right! Taken in context I think he just means to England. Unless he's dropping hidden meanings into his interviews. <_<

Think you're reading too much into that, Craig, but I hope you're right! Taken in context I think he just means to England. Unless he's dropping hidden meanings into his interviews. <_<

185577[/snapback]

Yeah I know... ;)

I know he's injury prone but if we can get him on a pay-as-you-play deal I think it is one we need to pull out all the stops and make sure it happens.

Easily the best defender I've seen play for us and more than that, Bramble was a better player for playing alongside Woody ;)

Aye the way he was talking I thought it was a done deal so rushed on here to check.

185706[/snapback]

Stelling just saying that to boost audience figures! He knows that word would spread that Sky were tallking the deal up and us fools would all switch on to see for ourselves. Geordie mugs.

It doesnt matter if he is injured all the time really, getting 15-20 games out of him is ok as we already have enough centre backs. Woodgate would be used to give others a rest or as backup.

We took a chance of him when we bought him, given his track record. The only reason the risk paid off in the end was because we got someone else to take an even bigger risk on him. We were laughing all the way to the bank. Let's not go back there.

185225[/snapback]

I'd take him a pay-per-game basis - we've never looked as solid at the back since he left but the risk on his fitness is enormous

If he watched Boro last night, he'd need to be suffering from mental as well as muscle deficiencies to go there - only 25k there and they got humped off Portsmouth. We've got UEFA Cup football, fill our ground, and have the better chance of having a decent season IMO.

We'll see what he decides. I'm not too arsed either way, but would be disappointed if he went to Boro and they got a decent season out of him games-wise (probably not gonna happen)