'Political Correctness' gone nuts!

Craig

Madness! <_<

Celtic have asked for a meeting with police after goalkeeper Artur Boruc was cautioned for a breach of the peace during an Old Firm game at Ibrox. Buruc was accused of making gestures during a game with Rangers in February.

The Crown Office said the procurator fiscal had issued the caution as an alternative to prosecution.

A spokesman explained that Boruc's actions "included a combination of behaviour before a crowd in the charged atmosphere of an Old Firm match".

The Polish goalkeeper's behaviour had "provoked alarm and crowd trouble".

Criticism, led by the Catholic Church, who stated that Boruc had been cautioned for the act of blessing himself, has been directed at the police response.

But a fresh statement from the Crown Office stressed: "The decision to use an alternative to prosecution in this case was based on an assessment of behaviour, not one single act, which appeared to be directed towards the crowd, which was being incited by that behaviour and which caused the police to intervene and calm the crowd."

The incident took place at the start of the second half of the game on 12 February.

Police investigated the complaints and submitted a report to the procurator fiscal.

The Crown Office said Boruc's behaviour had taken place before a crowd in the charged atmosphere of a match between Celtic and rivals Rangers.

As such, it constituted a breach of the peace.

The goalkeeper, who played during this year's World Cup in Germany, signed for Celtic from Legia Warsaw in July last year.

Peter Kearney, spokesman for the Catholic Church, said the move to caution Boruc was "regrettable".

"It's a worrying and alarming development, especially since the sign of the cross is globally accepted as a gesture of religious reverence," he said.

"It's also very common in international football and was commonplace throughout the World Cup.

"It is extremely regrettable that Scotland seems to have made itself one of the few countries in the world where this simply religious gesture is considered an offence."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/5287664.stm

It's rediculous that. The guys a polish catholic, he does it in everygame. If he did it only in old firm games to wind up the rangers fans they might have a point, but he doesn't so they don't.

It sounds nuts, they were talking about this on Talksport this morning, a rangers fan rang in saying he was at the match in question and said that Boruc had done it facing the rangers fans behind his goal, and done it as theatrically as possible, gesturing "come on" to the fans before doing it with a huge grin on his face.

I've not time for the sectarian horseshit of the auld firm but lets face it, it could easily have been done to wind up the opposing fans.

It sounds nuts, they were talking about this on Talksport this morning, a rangers fan rang in saying he was at the match in question and said that Boruc had done it facing the rangers fans behind his goal, and done it as theatrically as possible, gesturing "come on" to the fans before doing it with a huge grin on his face.

I've not time for the sectarian horseshit of the auld firm but lets face it, it could easily have been done to wind up the opposing fans.

185646[/snapback]

Although that Rangers fan is hardly an impartial source, could just be talking bollocks to get a Celtic player into trouble.

185646[/snapback]

Although that Rangers fan is hardly an impartial source, could just be talking bollocks to get a Celtic player into trouble.

185649[/snapback]

Totally agree, but all I'm trying to say, don't just take it on face value.

185646[/snapback]

185649[/snapback]

Totally agree, but all I'm trying to say, don't just take it on face value.

185653[/snapback]

I know what you mean. The media love these kind of stories.

• 11 years later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44478064

The only people this policy benefits are the knuckle draggers who crow on about not being able to fly the St. George's flag in England any more. In this case they appear to be correct. Given that the Royal Mail have recently unveiled this lorry in NI I don't think it's too much to show a bit of English patriotism for the World Cup.

RoyalMailPride.jpg

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44478064

The only people this policy benefits are the knuckle draggers who crow on about not being able to fly the St. George's flag in England any more. In this case they appear to be correct. Given that the Royal Mail have recently unveiled this lorry in NI I don't think it's too much to show a bit of English patriotism for the World Cup.

RoyalMailPride.jpg

Totally agree. All it does is validated the opinions (in their eyes) of all the "Free-ee-ee-ee, Tom-meh Rob-in-saahn" mongs

The company added that live radio commentary would be playing on PA systems throughout their offices during matches.

That honestly sounds annoying as fuck. Radio commentary pumped into a room via a shitty tinny PA system that will have to be loud enough to be understood meaning you'll barely be able to discuss anything with anyone.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

Totally agree. All it does is validated the opinions (in their eyes) of all the "Free-ee-ee-ee, Tom-meh Rob-in-saahn" mongs

I dunno, I quite liked 2-4-6-8 motorway but I wouldnt go that far

;)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Andrew said:

That honestly sounds annoying as fuck. Radio commentary pumped into a room via a shitty tinny PA system that will have to be loud enough to be understood meaning you'll barely be able to discuss anything with anyone.

Which will be utterly pointless, as everyone will be wearing earplugs to comply with H&S hearing damage regs. 

I think they've made the right call personally. If they've done it before, and they're allowing people to have flags in actual post offices, then the right of the culture war won't be able to meaningfully make it stick.

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The Royal Mail isn't the Post Office though.

I forgot this admittedly, but I'm not sure what difference it makes..? Unless you're saying that their 'reason' is a lie and that they actually just want to show off their anti-racism credentials.

I'd be tempted to argue that this is more the fault of the far right than it is of the Royal Mail - they're the ones who poisoned the flag. Maybe the rest of us need to claim it back, but I feel like more non-racists are more aligned with the Union Jack than they are with St George's Cross.

44 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Cars flying flags during international tournaments.....

:jesuswept:

Oh aye, it's absolutely shit like :lol: Or a JJB Sports flag of St George hanging in the window

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, adios said:

Aye, I loved the specificity of that too.  Are they on commision?  

Just a desperate attempt to somehow eke 200 words out of the 'story' I think