Mum's the word for "Obagoal"

Scottish Mag

It's 4000 miles from Nigeria to Newcastle, but somewhere on Tyneside, Obafemi Martins has already found a little piece of Lagos . . .

Look out Aston Villa, United's new boy is running on rocket fuel today - otherwise known as Mother Martins' home cooking.

But "Obagoal" will be sampling similar delicacies in his homeland this week, when he reports for international duty alongside Middlesbrough striker Yakubu.

"My mum lived with me in Italy and has come with me to Newcastle," says the £10 million signing from Inter (left). "She will do my cooking and cleaning!

"When I left Lagos for Italy in 2000, I was just 16. It was difficult because there was nobody with me and I missed home badly for about two years.

"My mum being with me means I don't get homesick any more."

But the presence of Mrs Fausat Martins in the North East disguises the personal heartache which will drive "Obagoal" to succeed in the Premiership.

"Losing my dad in June 2003 was a bitter pill to swallow, but I have his spirit living in me and pushing me forward," he says.

"I dreamt I was going to bring him to one of Inter's games, but it was not to be.

"Now I will have him with me every time I play at St James's Park."

Martins will fly back to Lagos following his Premiership debut today to meet up with the Nigeria squad preparing for next Sunday's African Nations Cup qualifier against Niger.

"Oba's their main striker," says United boss Glenn Roeder. "He's going back there next week to play against Niger.

"I've been to Nigeria and you've got to go there to realise that they're fantatical about football; absolutely fanatical."

But it is Martins' decision to pass up the chance of Champions League football elsewhere to inherit the No 9 shirt at Newcastle (below) which will shock some.

"Valencia in Spain wanted me, but I didn't want to go there.," he says. "My dream was to play in the Premiership, and Newcastle are a big team.

"I believe I can achieve a lot at Newcastle - more than at Valencia."

And that has come as a massive relief to Roeder, who admits he gambled everything on persuading his top target to choose the Premiership over La Liga or Serie A.

"He's the man I wanted and he was the man I was going to get," the manager insists.

"But it's gone all the way until a week before the window closes and, I have to be honest, if Inter had said there was absolutely no chance of signing Oba there wouldn't have been any alternatives.

"Because I hadn't considered anybody else, we would have been in a difficult situation.

"However, I was determined to get the player I wanted - and I'm sure he will prove worth the wait."

But will Martins be thrown into the fray from the off at Villa?

"I'm not going to let Martin O'Neill know what I'm thinking.

"You and Oba will just have to wait and see."

"But it's gone all the way until a week before the window closes and, I have to be honest, if Inter had said there was absolutely no chance of signing Oba there wouldn't have been any alternatives.

"Because I hadn't considered anybody else, we would have been in a difficult situation.

185823[/snapback]

Well thats a fantastic transfer policy Glenn, the old "all the eggs in one basket" tactic.

185823[/snapback]

Well thats a fantastic transfer policy Glenn, the old "all the eggs in one basket" tactic.

185890[/snapback]

I don't buy that for a second.

185823[/snapback]

185890[/snapback]

185892[/snapback]

I don't think its too far from the truth as I reckon him and Kuyt were our top two targets, beyond that we would've been scraping the barrel.

185823[/snapback]

185890[/snapback]

185892[/snapback]

I don't think its too far from the truth as I reckon him and Kuyt were our top two targets, beyond that we would've been scraping the barrel.

185899[/snapback]

Roeder himself said that Darren Bent was his top target, so I'm not sure where he's coming from by saying this.

Meanwhile, Magpies boss Glenn Roeder has revealed Darren Bent was top of his summer shopping list.

"When the season finished we made an enquiry," said Roeder, who is under fierce pressure from fans to boost his attacking options.

"But we were told there was no chance - no chance at any price."

Didnt viana say he brought his mother over with to do his cooking and stuff?

Or am i thinking of someone totally different?

187037[/snapback]

Nope, spot on.

Let's hope it's not an omen.