Nobby: no regrets about leaving Villa

Scottish Mag

Nobby Solano today revisits a stage where he had top billing admitting he may be on the fringe at Newcastle at times this season.

But he still has no regrets about missing out on the Martin O'Neill era at Aston Villa.

Solano has accepted that, at almost 32, he will be rested regularly by Glenn Roeder in the coming nine months.

Yet the winger is considering using that extra recovery time to resurrect his dormant international career.

First things first though - and a Villa side and supporters transformed by O'Neill and the prospect of new owner Randy Lerner's millions from the no hopers Solano came to know during 18 months in Birmingham.

"I think the new manager has given the club a lift and everyone there is starting to believe," says the popular Peruvian.

"It's always going to be tough playing away from home and it will be tougher than normal at Villa this season."

Solano, however, is not a certainty to start against his former club.

"The manager rested me in midweek, which was fine," he says. "It's not like three or four years ago when I could play twice a week, every week and in every single game."

But he insists: "I don't regret leaving Villa. I have very happy memories but it was a difficult time in some ways because of all the speculation that always surrounds the club.

"There were too many rumours about what might happen to the chairman or the manager - but that's Villa for you.

"Martin O'Neill was talked about as a possible manager at Newcastle and with England and it was a surprise to everyone when he got the Villa job.

"There was a lot of speculation about where he would end up and who knows how he came to be at Villa? But he has made his decision and it is great for my old club.

"When I was there it also didn't seem as though there was a lot of money available, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of happy players at Villa Park now the money is coming.

"It's good for them but it's good for the league. It is important that the Premiership has another strong team. It makes the competition more exciting."

Meanwhile, Solano will consider coming out of international retirement if Peru retain their current coach.

Solano incurred the wrath of then Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson by jetting off to play for his country, but has not answered the call since rejoining United a year ago.

"At the moment I am still retired from international football," he says. "But the new manager of Peru, Franco Navarro, is a good friend of mine.

"I agree with him that we don't have enough world-class players and I will speak to him again in December. There might be a new coach by then but if Navarro stays then there is a chance I could play for my country again."

the Villains liked Nobby and thought it was crazy to let him go............

the man always is a true professional and there aren't that many around these days

the man always is a true professional and there aren't that many around these days

185833[/snapback]

Even when he's going back on his word after retiring from international football.

185833[/snapback]

Even when he's going back on his word after retiring from international football.

185853[/snapback]

I don't really see the problem with him having returned to play for Peru, hes entitled to represent his country IMO

I know he was meant to have said that he wouldn't play for them again, but he should never have been put under the pressure to make that decision in the first place. I'm sure we will be letting Martins play for Nigeria no questions asked...

If he's not involved today I think that could be true. At his age he wants to be starting most games so he could be tempted with Duff, Zoggy & Milner playing really well.

185873[/snapback]

I don't think Nobby is the player he was even a couple of years ago.

With the players you mentioned his chances are going to be limited and I think he knows that.

I've always thought we sold him at exactly the right time, just not for enough money, signing him back was an emotional one rather than a logical one.

I've always thought we sold him at exactly the right time, just not for enough money, signing him back was an emotional one rather than a logical one.

186364[/snapback]

I'm not too worried. He was the same last season when he started poorly and slowly, but was one of our best players in the second half of the season (after Roeder took over). He's obviously not the player he was though and N'Zogbia and Duff should be first choice on the wings. I still think that over the course of the whole season and in home games especially, he will prove to be a valuable player for us, provided we play with two strikers and a bit of movement up front.

186364[/snapback]

I'm not too worried. He was the same last season when he started poorly and slowly, but was one of our best players in the second half of the season (after Roeder took over). He's obviously not the player he was though and N'Zogbia and Duff should be first choice on the wings. I still think that over the course of the whole season and in home games especially, he will prove to be a valuable player for us, provided we play with two strikers and a bit of movement up front.

186367[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

I still think Nobby offers us something different. Poor article title because i cant see why Nobby should regret leaving. They finished below us last season and have a poor squad. Yeah, they beat us yesterday but i dont think they'll be above us come the end of the season. Martin ONeill might be a good manager, but who says GR isnt? Lets keep our players and have some options available when things dont quite go right.