Gravesen fears transfer deadlock

Sima

Gravesen fears transfer deadlock

By John Sinnott

Thomas Gravesen fears he will run out of time before a transfer from Real Madrid to one of the five British clubs chasing him can be completed.

Gravesen told BBC Sport that Celtic and four English Premiership sides - Newcastle, Bolton, Middlesbrough and his old club Everton - were in for him.

But the 30-year-old added: "It's in my mind there are five days left and I go into the Denmark camp on Sunday.

"I fear I'll be stuck in Madrid not playing and doing the thing I love."

Real have told Gravesen, who joined the Spanish team from Everton in a £2.5m deal in January 2005, that he can leave for any club willing to pay their £2m valuation.

"Maybe in five minutes there's a phone call and two clubs have agreed terms and I can be on my way there," Gravesen added.

"We're in contact with clubs and we're negotiating."

Denmark are due to play an international friendly against Portugal on Friday, before they start their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign away to Iceland on 6 September in a Group E game.

And Gravesen revealed he was hoping Denmark coach Morten Olsen would be sympathetic in trying to help the former Everton midfielder secure a transfer.

"I really hope the coach will understand my situation," said Gravesen.

"Imagine if he says I cannot go and I'm in Madrid for six months and I'm unable to play games.

"That wouldn't help my fitness and that might rebound on him if he wanted to use me as he has done for the last seven years.

"We will discuss it with him and seek his advice.

"I believe he will be there to help me if I need it."

£2m is an excellent price and we should be able to fend off all of the other teams interested. Although it just strengthens the fact that we will be playing more and more with a 5-man midfield.

From Skysports...

Thomas Gravesen has revealed he has agreed a deal with Celtic.

Celtic's move for Real Madrid ace Gravesen was cast in doubt on Tuesday when the player left Glasgow without signing a contract.

Gravesen left Scotland to return to Copenhagen on Tuesday to link up with his international team-mates ahead of this weekend's Euro 2008 qualifier.

Celtic agreed a £2 million deal with Real earlier this week and Gravesen held talks and underwent a medical at Parkhead.

Some reports had suggested that the deal was in the balance, but the former Everton star has admitted he has reached an agreement with Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan.

"I can only say Gordon Strachan, John Sivebaek (Gravesen's agent) and myself have come to an agreement and we are going to release a statement tomorrow," Gravesen told the Daily Record.

Gravesen is expected to sign a three-year deal at Celtic and his arrival could pave the way for Stilian Petrov to join Aston Villa

Another one bites the dust. :lol:  Newcastle's transfer plans IN MELTDOWN.

187189[/snapback]

This one doesn't make a lot of difference really, it's the lack of defenders and forwards that are the real problem. I.e. even if we'd got him we'd still be looking way short of cover.

Yeah, of all of the players we were in for he was the one I was least arsed about. It's just indicative again of what happens when you try to do all your business late on and things fall through - you've got no fallback.

Yeah, of all of the players we were in for he was the one I was least arsed about.  It's just indicative again of what happens when you try to do all your business late on and things fall through - you've got no fallback.

187198[/snapback]

Is it ok to panic yet?

I don't think Midfield is a key area we need strengthening especially when you consider the other area's where we are desperate i.e. LB RB CB and up front.

But 2m is a good price so if we can get him we should.

I don't think Midfield is a key area we need strengthening especially when you consider the other area's where we are desperate i.e. LB RB CB and up front.

But 2m is a good price so if we can get him we should.

187309[/snapback]

i agree. our midfield is fine. what we really need is a striker with a bit of physical presence and at least two new defenders.

Not that arsed, but seen as we were interested in him, it's another sign that our ability to compete on transfers is on the wane.  Stupid Danish slaphead.

187609[/snapback]

We backed out, so we can sign 2 strikers :lol:

Fucking hell, looking forward to seeing the back of all these "signing someone in 2 days" quotes which Roeder has used over the last few weeks.

Not that arsed, but seen as we were interested in him, it's another sign that our ability to compete on transfers is on the wane.  Stupid Danish slaphead.

187609[/snapback]

We backed out, so we can sign 2 strikers :lol:

Fucking hell, looking forward to seeing the back of all these "signing someone in 2 days" quotes which Roeder has used over the last few weeks.

187625[/snapback]

Nee fear of that, he'll be saying "signing someone in the next two hours, minutes, seconds", until the window shuts, trapping his little paw while he was fawning over Dirk Kuyt.