Martins

Holden McGroin

Good News On Martins

By Ian Willis

GLENN Roeder was happy to report that Obafemi Martins' injury in the 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa wasn't as bad as first feared.

Martins was stretchered off on the hour mark after landing awkwardly following an aerial challenge, and he looked to be in some discomfort as he was carried off down the tunnel.

But Roeder reckons the problem was a dead leg, and thinks the former Inter Milan pace ace will be ready for the next game against Fulham a week on Saturday.

Roeder told Newcastle World TV: "He has been in some discomfort, but we think it is just a nasty dead leg where he will have had a bleed in the muscle.

"He will be sore for a few days, but we don't think there will be any problems with regards to the next game against Fulham.

"When the stretcher came on it looked bad, he wasn't moving and I thought it was serious, but thankfully it isn't as bad as it first looked."

Wonder if he'll still play for Nigeria next week?

186044[/snapback]

I hope not, but he probably will, knowing us.

Early days he`s got to settle in but unimpressed so far.

Lets hope it is just a dead leg because on today`s performance we need a miracle.

186050[/snapback]

Based on the little I saw over t'intraweb, he blatantly needs a 'big man' to play alongside him.

It would have defied belief if he had injured himself seriously in his first game.

Having said this I think it will take some time until he settles in English football. I think he got a fair taste today what the Premiership is about. He looked a bit too leightweight, was lacking composure and had little understanding with his team mates. Hopefully he is a quick and good learner and is kept away from Alberta Luque as far as possible.

Conspiracy Theory Alert: the injury is a lot more serious than a dead leg. He's done his knee but we daren't admit to it with three days of the window left as we know we need another striker and can't give clubs the scoop on Martins or they'll take the piss with transfer fees.

I'm no physio but I've never heard of anyone getting a severe dead leg by jarring their knee badly. :lol:

To be fair to the lad, it's not his fault that the club fucked up and didn't bother bidding for him till the season had started. Could have done with having a pre-season with us, now has to play catch up to get used to his team mates and the system. Shit, I forgot, he was always Glenn's number one choice, we just decided it was GREAT footballing sense to not bid for him during the summer (despite the fact he wasn't at the WC) and wait for the season to start. Another season, another farce.

Conspiracy Theory Alert:  the injury is a lot more serious than a dead leg.  He's done his knee but we daren't admit to it with three days of the window left as we know we need another striker and can't give clubs the scoop on Martins or they'll take the piss with transfer fees.

I'm no physio but I've never heard of anyone getting a severe dead leg by jarring their knee badly. :lol:

186501[/snapback]

It can happen. Unlikely though, and I tend to agree with your theory.

To be fair to the lad, it's not his fault that the club fucked up and didn't bother bidding for him till the season had started. Could have done with having a pre-season with us, now has to play catch up to get used to his team mates and the system. Shit, I forgot, he was always Glenn's number one choice, we just decided it was GREAT footballing sense to not bid for him during the summer (despite the fact he wasn't at the WC) and wait for the season to start. Another season, another farce.

186508[/snapback]

Roeder said he was always the number one target, but they didn't think he was available. Circumstances changed in the last couple of weeks (with the new strikers Inter signed).