United at double for vital signings

Craig

Newcastle United have narrowed their targets to a central defender and a striker before the transfer window slams shut on Thursday.

I believe United have given up on midfielder Thomas Gravesen, leaving the way clear for Celtic to sign the tough-tackling Danish international.

The Wayne Bridge situation at Chelsea is completely out of their hands, and the attitude at United now seems to be that if it happens, it happens.

But Roeder is desperate to bring in a central defender and a striker and remained confident today - a day he said will be full of talks - that he will get both.

But reports saying United are in a tug-of-war with Spurs for Roma striker Mido are incorrect. United would have taken the Egyptian striker on loan, but Roma, who let Mido go to White Hart Lane on loan last season, want a permanent deal.

And Spurs are expected to sign Mido on what will eventually turn out to be a £4m deal which will delight the White Hart Lane supporters.

Roeder and Freddy Shepherd have just about exhausted their host of world-wide contacts in their search for a striker and it would not surprise me in the least if United have even asked Arsenal to let Theo Walcott come to St James' Park on loan.

Nor would it surprise me if United, like Middlesbrough, have talked to Jonathan Woodgate now that the England defender has said he is going to leave Real Madrid and come back to the Premiership on loan.

Woodgate only played 20 games for United before heading to Spain, but in those 20 games he was as good a central defender as I have seen in a black-and-white shirt in the past 26 seasons.

But Woodgate's injury record is awful, and the last thing United want is for another England international to join Michael Owen and Kieron Dyer.

Roeder has made it clear the central defender he still wants is Chelsea's German international Robert Huth, who ironically failed a medical on his ankle when he was about to join Middlesbrough in June.

Roeder could still get his man - providing Huth passes a medical at St James' Park.

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

So Oliver advocates us signing a player who failed a medical at Boro and could well prove to be an anti-climax when he's not playing for Chelsea ahead of Woodgate? :lol:

"....it would not surprise me in the least if United have even asked Arsenal to let Theo Walcott come to St James' Park on loan."

It would not surprise me in the least if you'd just made that up, you absolute knobhead.

So Oliver advocates us signing a player who failed a medical at Boro and could well prove to be an anti-climax when he's not playing for Chelsea ahead of Woodgate? :lol:

186679[/snapback]

My heart says Woodgate, my head says Huth. With Huth we get potential and no injury problems (assuming it's true he's recovered from whatever he failed the medical for), but without Woody I fear we just end up with another young player with wasted potential. I would hope the pair are being considered.

People seem to be imploding over on NO, Huth is worse than Boumsong apparently. I don't really understand what the fuss is about, if we get a striker and a defender in we're ok, with the exception of left back. If we don't we're shagged.

186679[/snapback]

My heart says Woodgate, my head says Huth. With Huth we get potential and no injury problems (assuming it's true he's recovered from whatever he failed the medical for), but without Woody I fear we just end up with another young player with wasted potential. I would hope the pair are being considered.

People seem to be imploding over on NO, Huth is worse than Boumsong apparently. I don't really understand what the fuss is about, if we get a striker and a defender in we're ok, with the exception of left back. If we don't we're shagged.

186691[/snapback]

Is Wullie devastated?

Huth is completely over-rated, I really don't get what people see in him.

Walcott :lol::D:rolleyes:

Oliver gets more ridiculous day by day

186700[/snapback]

Well, he is the big strong centre-forward type that Roeder has said he's chasing.

Huth is nothing more than potential, he's a big strong lad who seems comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong in the tackle, cliche, cliche etc. He is a footballer, and he's suited to the Premiership, which puts him head and shoulders above Boumsong. I thought you would have worshipped Huth after his treatment of Shearer.

Huth needs an experienced centre-half to get the best out of him I reckon. I like him but he's pretty raw. Don't think he'd be the answer alongside Taylor or Bramble.

So we're linked to a striker, with 2 days to go, and there is no news who it is?

186711[/snapback]

I gave him a call and told him I was handy enough at PES, we're in talks.

Huth is completely over-rated, I really don't get what people see in him.

Walcott :lol::D:rolleyes:

Oliver gets more ridiculous day by day

186700[/snapback]

Well, he is the big strong centre-forward type that Roeder has said he's chasing.

Huth is nothing more than potential, he's a big strong lad who seems comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong in the tackle, cliche, cliche etc. He is a footballer, and he's suited to the Premiership, which puts him head and shoulders above Boumsong. I thought you would have worshipped Huth after his treatment of Shearer.

186707[/snapback]

Errr....what?