Steven Taylor

Optimistic Nut

Guest Milburn

Yes, it's brilliant to see a young lad direct from the academy stepping in to the first team. And then today, one year and five mounts after he made his first team debut, signing a new 4-year contract.

I do have high expectations to Taylor. He is already a class-act imo!

Where's Mark with his "Taylor to Liverpool" rumour now? :blink:

15274[/snapback]

It was Man Utd, but Houillier was after him before he signed his pro-contract with us.

15285[/snapback]

Nope, it was Liverpool, and it was from last week.

Obviously he'll deny it now, but I've got it saved as an MSN conversation ;)

15274[/snapback]

It was Man Utd, but Houillier was after him before he signed his pro-contract with us.

15285[/snapback]

15288[/snapback]

Fairly do's, thought it was Man Utd when he posted it on the other board.

15274[/snapback]

15285[/snapback]

15288[/snapback]

Pot kettle :rolleyes:

15274[/snapback]

15285[/snapback]

15288[/snapback]

Fairly do's, thought it was Man Utd when he posted it on the other board.

15317[/snapback]

Orignally when he was first being mentioned and was due to step up from youth to full time player with us, the papers at the time said that Manu, Liverpool and i think others were all after him as he was so highly rated and fortunately he remained with us.

Can't remember if that was just local papers like the chronicle or national as well, but definitely he was wanted by Liverpool and Manu according to the articles i read.

He's going to be great but I wish he'd stop picking up so many yellow cards. Truly top-class defenders don't do that. He's got a dirty/cynical streak to his game he could do without.

15363[/snapback]

I totally disagree!

One of the great things about Taylor is he is totally professional and cynical and does anythign to win and has clearly been coached by Tony Adams when he was his boss.

He understands that cynical players and teams win the trophies, whether its by sneakilly fouling attackers before the ball arrives so they're off balance, pretending he was hit in the face to try and avoid a sending off for handball :blink: or whatever he knows you play to win.

Watch him whenever he is fouled, he ensures he gets his freekick, maybe even see if they get booked then he gets up and gets on with it, the way you should, Compared to some of pur players who do their utmost to help the opposition from being penalised and end up losing the ball and gettign nothing sometimes!

He's going to be great but I wish he'd stop picking up so many yellow cards. Truly top-class defenders don't do that. He's got a dirty/cynical streak to his game he could do without.

15363[/snapback]

I totally disagree!

One of the great things about Taylor is he is totally professional and cynical and does anythign to win and has clearly been coached by Tony Adams when he was his boss.

He understands that cynical players and teams win the trophies, whether its by sneakilly fouling attackers before the ball arrives so they're off balance, pretending he was hit in the face to try and avoid a sending off for handball :blink: or whatever he knows you play to win.

Watch him whenever he is fouled, he ensures he gets his freekick, maybe even see if they get booked then he gets up and gets on with it, the way you should, Compared to some of pur players who do their utmost to help the opposition from being penalised and end up losing the ball and gettign nothing sometimes!

15367[/snapback]

Hmmm, if you're right he needs to practice the sneaky part a bit more. Its only sneaky if the ref doesn't see it.

Spot on Papa, 100%. I only wish we had a few more proper players like him.

15369[/snapback]

Its the same with Shearer, he plays to win, not be nice. Also Bowyer is another who makes sure he gets every freekick he's entitled to and who plays cynically, he also can take it too far and be dirty, but the point is managers/players with the cynical, win at all cost attitude are the ones with the trophies!

You watch games vs manu, or arse, if you are outplaying them and looking like winning (and the ref hasn't yet helped them as he surely will!) they will start to kill the game, little fouls, break it up and try to break your rhythm, maybe even a couple of dirty tackles, they don't like people beating them and do anything to change it.

15363[/snapback]

I totally disagree!

15367[/snapback]

Hmmm, if you're right he needs to practice the sneaky part a bit more. Its only sneaky if the ref doesn't see it.

15371[/snapback]

Well i watch him and he's gotten away with it numerous times, which is the point, obviously the odd one gets seen but its worth it for the advantage you gain off all the unseen ones. I've also seen him do a few off the ball obstructions on players before they could get to whoever had the ball on our team.

On a seperate point he also stands up for himself and his team mates better than most of our team. I remember a game when Bowyer and another player were scuffling and whilst the rets of our team did their usual hiding act he strode straight in, grabbed their bloke and dumped him on the ground to help his team mate, we need more of them backing each other up.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I've also seen him do a few off the ball obstructions on players before they could get to whoever had the ball on our team.

15374[/snapback]

Yes, thats a good point. I remember a free kick routine towards the end of last season (might have been in the uefa) when Taylor blocked the path of the guy marking Shearer allowing Al a free header and goal. Definite training ground routine.

I've also seen him do a few off the ball obstructions on players before they could get to whoever had the ball on our team.

15374[/snapback]

Yes, thats a good point. I remember a free kick routine towards the end of last season (might have been in the uefa) when Taylor blocked the path of the guy marking Shearer allowing Al a free header and goal. Definite training ground routine.

15377[/snapback]

We've used that a few times, espeically in europe. The best example i remember was against Inter at home where Taribo West was going ape shit at our player blocking him from his previous activity of grabbing as much of Shearer's shirt as was humany possible!

But i've seen Taylor be far more "creative" than that training ground one and he's more than once saw an opposition player heading towards one of ours and blocked them off totally before they got near allowing our player to build a move up and missed completely by the oficials!

15274[/snapback]

15285[/snapback]

15288[/snapback]

I said they were after him. I didn't say I believed it, or he would go.

15363[/snapback]

I totally disagree!

15367[/snapback]

Spot on.