Roeder chase for two strikers

Craig

Newcastle United are trying to bring in TWO strikers before tomorrow's transfer deadline, (writes Alan Oliver).

And because strikers are such a priority, United have had to abandon their interest in Real Madrid's tough-tackling midfielder Thomas Gravesen.

Another close-season United target, Steed Malbranque, is expected to sign for Spurs before tomorrow's deadline.

Neither Freddy Shepherd nor Glenn Roeder were taking any calls today as they continued to negotiate for a couple of strikers as well as trying to hijack Robert Huth's move to Middlesbrough.

With Michael Owen unlikely to play this season and Shola Ameobi having seemingly never-ending hip problems, United desperately need a striker with some physical presence to partner their new £10m man Oba Martins.

That's why United have stood by and let Aston Villa bid £9m for Jermain Defoe because the Spurs and England striker does not have the physical presence they need so badly.

If strikers were not such a priority United could well have pursued a midfielder who has physical presence in Gravesen, but the Danish international will not be coming to St James' Park.

There has been talk that if Roy Keane had signed his big pal Nicky Butt for Sunderland then the way would be clear for United to go in for Gravesen.

However, Butt is on £40,000 a week with United and he would get less than half that at the Stadium of Light.

And although the respect between the two former Old Trafford colleagues is mutual, it does not extend to the former England midfielder dropping £1m a year in wages.

In any case, Roeder is happy with what he feels Butt can offer him this season.

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Does anyone else wonder if he's been reading the recent comments on here where people have said things like "you don't even need to point out who's written it, I can smell the bullshit from here?" :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We've let Celtic have Gravensen, Villa have Defoe...ahhh..aint we nice. I suppose when Boro sign Huth we'll have let them have him too. You can almost smell the bullshit.

Notice how no strikers have been named. I smell a 'look, we're really trying' bit of PR from the club here. Shame on you Anal, stop taking the NUFC silver and start reporting some news you Moxey bastard.

We've let Celtic have Gravensen, Villa have Defoe...ahhh..aint we nice. I suppose when Boro sign Huth we'll have let them have him too. You can almost smell the bullshit.

Notice how no strikers have been named. I smell a 'look, we're really trying' bit of PR from the club here. Shame on you Anal, stop taking the NUFC silver and start reporting some news you Moxey bastard.

187454[/snapback]

moxey.jpg

We also were so gentle to let Liverpool sign Kuijt (who looked not too bad last Saturday).

187452[/snapback]

Almost uncannily moulded to fill the Shearer-shaped hole. The only thing I didn't see was a clinical finisher, but I didn't see enough in that match to say that he wasn't one, either.

I'm very worried that Roeder has bought a decent striker in Martins, who will only work in a system that Roeder doesn't seem to want to play.

Is that article suggesting that we may actually go out and spend another 10m on a striker? Someone's on drugs, hopefully not the accountants.

187454[/snapback]

moxey.jpg

187460[/snapback]

Brendan Mulcahy tbh

Shola Ameobi having seemingly never-ending hip problems

187427[/snapback]

Maybe they appear to ber never ending as he didn't have the operation it was clear he needed over the summer break.

187427[/snapback]

Maybe they appear to ber never ending as he didn't have the operation it was clear he needed over the summer break.

187555[/snapback]

Bet he doesn't have it next summer either.

187427[/snapback]

187555[/snapback]

Exactly. You just knew the injury was going to cause trouble again when Roeder announced in the papers that Shola would have another injection instead of an operation.

I was baffled by that, one summer is understandable, try one way, it fails, now this summer the operation has to be done. Why didn't they do that? Is there some other draw back, is it potentially fatal, might he look like even more of a donkey after the op?

I was baffled by that, one summer is understandable, try one way, it fails, now this summer the operation has to be done.  Why didn't they do that?  Is there some other draw back, is it potentially fatal, might he look like even more of a donkey after the op?

187561[/snapback]

Has Luque already had this procedure then? :lol:

I was baffled by that, one summer is understandable, try one way, it fails, now this summer the operation has to be done.  Why didn't they do that?  Is there some other draw back, is it potentially fatal, might he look like even more of a donkey after the op?

187561[/snapback]

I think he went to Dr. Fox for his first consultancy. When he recommended an injection he went to Dr. Phil for a second opinion.

If his hip goes again he's going to Dr. Dre. No more messing about.

Has Luque already had this procedure then?  :lol:

187565[/snapback]

No, that's a far more clandestine procedure, Ronaldo stole Luque's hunger in a voodoo ritual.

Has Luque already had this procedure then?  :lol:

187565[/snapback]

No, that's a far more clandestine procedure, Ronaldo stole Luque's hunger in a voodoo ritual.

187568[/snapback]

Who took his talent then?

187561[/snapback]

Slim hope that Shola was going to get into the WC squad? :lol:

Probably had something to do with the Inter-toto campaign and Owen's injury as well tbh