chronicle today

bobbyshinton

The only time he wouldn't be behind Owen would be in the queue for the canteen.

188682[/snapback]

Can't really depend on Owen, though, can we?

188697[/snapback]

Well apparently...

Since 2004 Viduka has started 45 games (13 goals).

Since 2004 Owen has started 47 games (20 goals).

So there you have it.

Owen's a bit more dependable than the fat man.

188717[/snapback]

Are you deliberately missing the point? Who do reckon will play more games this season?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently...

So there you have it.

188717[/snapback]

HF, you may want to sit down; :unsure: Owen's out for the season, and may never be the same player again. :rolleyes:

:o

188682[/snapback]

188697[/snapback]

Well apparently...

So there you have it.

188717[/snapback]

Are you deliberately missing the point? Who do reckon will play more games this season?

188721[/snapback]

I get the point.

I'm just not happy with selling Milner to buy a fat swine striker as a last resort.

Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Luque and (to a lesser extent) Dyer, Milner or Nzogbia could do a job up there to some degree. 7 players for 2 positions.

Look at the defence, we've got no such cover there. I think we're chasing the wrong players and want to sort our priorities.

I'd rather have Andy Cole for £500k tbh

188731[/snapback]

Aye but we've got Martins who will play and Viduka would be a better partner for him. I'd probably rather have had Cole, Anelka and a defender or two for what Martins and Viduka would cost but that's done with now.

Newcastle United are hoping to tie up the signing of Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka before tonight's transfer deadline.

And the Chronicle can reveal that Aston Villa have come in with a late £5m bid for James Milner who was on loan at Villa Park last season.

When Milner reported for training today he fully expected to be told to head back down to the Midlands where he had such a successful loan spell at Villa Park last season.

But reports linking United with Juventus striker David Trezequet were wide of the mark, as were claims that Roeder only turned to Giuseppe Rossi because he failed to get Viduka from Middlesbrough.

The lines between Tyneside and Teesside were red hot today as United tried to get Viduka on what would be a permanent transfer.

I understand the Australian international would jump at the chance to come to St James' Park and that United were reasonably confident of getting him.

But Roeder was more than confident of signing the player who has been his top defensive target throughout the summer, Robert Huth, only to lose out to Middlesbrough for the German international right at the death.

As far as defenders are concerned, United would have been interested in Lucas Neill, but the versatile Blackburn defender has his eye on a switch across Lancashire to Liverpool.

And as far as Milner is concerned, Villa's move came out of the blue and gave Freddy Shepherd plenty to think about.

United have already seen Alan Shearer retire, Michael Owen pick up a knee injury which will keep him out for the rest of the season and Michael Chopra, Lee Bowyer, Amady Faye and Jean Alain Boumsong all go out of the St James' Park door - and in an ideal world they would not want to lose another one.

But £5m for a 20-year-old player who has yet to win a regular spot at St James' Park and who only cost £3.5m is a lot of money.

On the other hand United would be hoping to snap up Viduka for around £2m especially as the 30-year-old Melbourne-born striker only has 12 months of his contract to run.

Glenn roeder has thanked Sir Alex Ferguson for letting Newcastle have one of Manchester United's "top, top youngsters".

And the United boss could not hide his delight at acquiring the Reds 19-year-old striker Giuseppe Rossi on loan until January 1.

So much so Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd will jet to Austria on Tuesday night and watch Rossi in action for the Italian Under-21 side - and fly him back to Tyneside immediately after the game so he can prepare for his debut against Fulham at St James' Park a week on Saturday.

Speaking for the first time about Rossi, Roeder told me today: "A lot of other Premiership clubs wanted Giuseppe and I suppose some people will be surprised that we have got him.

"But I must thank Sir Alex Ferguson for his part in this because I really believe that he has done us a big favour.

"Alex would have been happy to keep him because he is undoubtedly one of Manchester United's top, top youngsters.

"In fact, I have to say that Giuseppe's goalscoring record for Manchester United Reserves is nothing short of phenomenal."

A Manchester United source told me today: "Rossi cannot stop scoring for our reserves and he will be a great short-term signing for Newcastle.

"One of the reasons Giuseppe and Sir Alex were happy for him to go to St James' Park was because they remembered the way Glenn Roeder brought young players like Joe Cole and Michael Carrick through at West Ham."

Freddy Shepherd was at St James Park at the crack of dawn yesterday, but it wasn't until 11pm last night United's head of communications Gary Oliver was able to announce on the club website that Rossi was coming on loan until January 1.

In between times United had to fax the transfer forms to Iceland, where Rossi is playing for the Italian Under-21 side tomorrow night, and they were delighted at the way Rossi sent them back so quickly.

Ferguson will allow Rossi to play for United in the Carling Cup, but not in the UEFA Cup because he believes the young striker could be needed by Manchester United in the Champions League at the turn of the year.

And, of course, under the new Premiership rules Rossi will not be able to play against Manchester United when Roeder takes his side to Old Trafford on Sunday, October 1.

Rossi was born in New Jersey but moved to Italy when he was 13 and joined Parma, from where he moved to Manchester United for only £200,000.

I get the point.

I'm just not happy with selling Milner to buy a fat swine striker as a last resort.

Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Luque and (to a lesser extent) Dyer, Milner or Nzogbia could do a job up there to some degree.  7 players for 2 positions.

Look at the defence, we've got no such cover there.  I think we're chasing the wrong players and want to sort our priorities.

188736[/snapback]

They'll probably have no impact on our season, and WHERE'S THE TARGET MAN!

I don't necessarily think we need one, but Glen does.

I'd rather have Andy Cole for £500k tbh

188731[/snapback]

Aye but we've got Martins who will play and Viduka would be a better partner for him. I'd probably rather have had Cole, Anelka and a defender or two for what Martins and Viduka would cost but that's done with now.

188738[/snapback]

Agreed, though I am still hoping that Luque may be allowed to go to Espanyol, if that thread further down about them being interested is true, and we may yet see some strengthening at the back.

I get the point.

Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Luque and (to a lesser extent) Dyer, Milner or Nzogbia could do a job up there to some degree.  7 players for 2 positions.

Look at the defence, we've got no such cover there.  I think we're chasing the wrong players and want to sort our priorities.

188736[/snapback]

They'll probably have no impact on our season, and WHERE'S THE TARGET MAN!

I don't necessarily think we need one, but Glen does.

188745[/snapback]

We've currently got £35M of injured striker on the bench. I have no qualms about that having a negative effect on THIS season, but I'd hope people at the club would think more long term and see Milner as a better option than Viduka.

188682[/snapback]

188697[/snapback]

Well apparently...

So there you have it.

188717[/snapback]

188721[/snapback]

I get the point.

Martins, Owen, Ameobi, Luque and (to a lesser extent) Dyer, Milner or Nzogbia could do a job up there to some degree. 7 players for 2 positions.

Look at the defence, we've got no such cover there. I think we're chasing the wrong players and want to sort our priorities.

188736[/snapback]

Dyer is a write-off though, Shola is playing as well he ever will and still isn't the answer, Luque has been a joke since he arrived imo, Owen's crocked, Milner isn't a forward imo, N'Zogbia would be wasted there I reckon. None of them can hold the ball up. I'm not Viduka's biggest fan either, but that's more down to his attitude than anything else. It would be a panic buy though, for definite.

We've currently got £35M of injured striker on the bench.  I have no qualms about that having a negative effect on THIS season, but I'd hope people at the club would think more long term and see Milner as a better option than Viduka.

188755[/snapback]

I have no problem thinking medium/long-term, but short-term also needs to be considered very seriously. Without a target man, Oba will probably be a total flop in a team managed by a man who doesn't have a huge degree of tactical versatility and has a history of taking teams down...

I think you have to discount Dyer, Milner, NZogbia as striking options. While they can "do a job" there, its the same as Ramage can do a job at LB. We need forwards, not make shift ones, "proper" ones. So for me, Viduka would be a decent short term option. Then with him, Martins & shola (to a lesser extent Luque) and Rossi - we have decent cover up front until Jan. Then Rossi goes, we have an updated picture on Owen, and we have the chance to act again in the new window.

Milner leaving is a different matter all together. While Id like him to stay, I think we may be reluctant sellers and £5M for him might be used elsewhere in the squad maybe in the winter.

Basically, Viduka is a decent option but we'd rather we didn't have to sell Milner to buy him.

Shall we all just agree on that and put this one to bed? :unsure:

188773[/snapback]

Not everyone agrees though. I had to chuckle at KCG's 'fat pig' comment :rolleyes:

Basically, Viduka is a decent option but we'd rather we didn't have to sell Milner to buy him.

188773[/snapback]

As long as he costs no more than a million.

188773[/snapback]

188778[/snapback]

He'll cost 2 or 3 I reckon. 2 as a minimum.

The hatred for Viduka is amazing and if he signs i hope he does well and no doubt everyone else does. He would be a good target man to hold the ball up for Martins or the wingers. He is good with his head and im sure for a couple of million he will be a good signing for the short term and then on rotation with whoever else we may sign later on.... if anyone but no doubt we will get another midfielder...

If Jermaine Pennant is worth £8.2m or whatever, why shouldn't we expect to get something similar for Milner? I know Pennant's a better player, but Milner's younger, has a much better attitude and Villa are loaded. We should be pushing them on this one.

188773[/snapback]

188778[/snapback]

He'll cost 2 or 3 I reckon. 2 as a minimum.

188781[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware he's 30 and overweight, they got him for free and he's only got 10 months left on his contract.

they'd be robbing us if we gave them £2million.

Well the craic seems to be we're flogging Milner to pay for Viduka. If that's the case, we're talking about more than £1m, I would imagine, rightly or wrongly.