do you drink and drive

bobbyshinton

My mate went to a party in Doncaster once and woke up in his own bed in Newcastle, and couldn't remember half the night, never mind driving himself home.  What a dickhead!  One of those instances where you're best off not having your car keys on you cos he always claimed that he couldn't remember anything about either making the decision to drive home, or actually carrying it out. 

Amazed he didn't kill himself or anyone else.  Although in that situation it's always possible you did and have no recollection of it. :unsure:

188779[/snapback]

Jesus wept! :rolleyes:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drug driving is just as bad. A friend of a friend of mine once drove from London to Nottingham after taking 3 pills.

188804[/snapback]

Baby aspirin?

Never done it, don't trust myself to either 'just have one' or not be affected by it. Even if it affects my driving by a few percent, it's still too much.

Alex is right about it being rife out in the sticks like, the Mrs aunty and uncle live in an old farmouse in the middle of nowher in Shopshire and he's always getting pissed and driving. Went to a party there where one of the guests was totally fucked and went to drive back to his B&B. All the young uns were telling him there was no way he weas driving but all the older lot were saying 'no he'll be fine, don't be spoilsprots etc.' Definately a generation thing.

On an aside, if the plod want to catch drink drivers, sit outside any working mans club at 3pm on a sunday.

Never done it, don't trust myself to either 'just have one' or not be affected by it. Even if it affects my driving by a few percent, it's still too much.

Alex is right about it being rife out in the sticks like, the Mrs aunty and uncle live in an old farmouse in the middle of nowher in Shopshire and he's always getting pissed and driving. Went to a party there where one of the guests was totally fucked and went to drive back to his B&B. All the young uns were telling him there was no way he weas driving but all the older lot were saying 'no he'll be fine, don't be spoilsprots etc.' Definately a generation thing.

On an aside, if the plod want to catch drink drivers, sit outside any working mans club at 3pm on a sunday.

189953[/snapback]

I used to be totally against that, victimisation. Now I'm all for it. To drive to a boozer, drink, than drive back is sticking two fingers up at the law and our well being

189953[/snapback]

I used to be totally against that, victimisation. Now I'm all for it. To drive to a boozer, drink, than drive back is sticking two fingers up at the law and our well being

189965[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I had a free pint after work once and then drove home. It's only a couple of miles but I could feel myself affected by it, so I never touch a drop now.

We don't sell halves at the Arena, so frequently on major concerts you get some stupid bitch moaning about how it's dangerous to only sell pints because she's got to drive home. I'm usually stressed and end up shouting at them that they shouldn't be drinking at all, tends to shut them up.

By drink and drive I thought people meant getting bladdered.

I'll often have a couple of pints and drive.

Or 3 or 4 shandy's and drive.

If you can't have one pint and drive home you're a geet big puff.  TRUTH.

190527[/snapback]

Probably over the limit like.

By drink and drive I thought people meant getting bladdered.

I'll often have a couple of pints and drive.

Or 3 or 4 shandy's and drive.

If you can't have one pint and drive home you're a geet big puff.  TRUTH.

190527[/snapback]

Probably over the limit like.

190535[/snapback]

Swerves to hit kittens, too.

2 pints is fine.

I've been stopped after 2 pints and sent on my way.

EDIT: I'm not talking scrumpy here like. Standard pints of piss like Fosters, Carlsberg, Carling etc.

Edited by Happy Face

I think I'd prefer the Norwegian rules - just about smelling a beer puts you in court

No arguement, no thinking about it - one drink and yer OUT

So you organise a taxi or a designated driver

What is the legal limit btw?  I haven't got a clue.  I always assume anything more than a pint and you're on dodgy ground and relying on the strength of whatever you're drinking.

190542[/snapback]

Two units iirc, which is 1 pint.

Two units iirc, which is 1 pint.

190545[/snapback]

That sounds right, it's got that tight now, they should change it to the Norwegian way of doing things - one pint could put you over, that's no use. Mind you, if you look at it from the perspective of over-population, it could be considered irresponsible not to drink and drive.

Accordingto the MoT

* The legal limit in the UK is 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.

* But there is no failsafe guide as to how much you can drink and stay under the limit

BUT

Drink-Driving Guidelines

Ever since the introduction of the breathalyser in 1967, official sources have been extremely unwilling to publish any figures on the amount of alcohol you need to consume to take you over the 80 mg legal limit for driving. The reason for this is that they feel it will encourage drivers to "drink up to the limit".

But, in reality, nobody can do that, because of the extremely unpredictable rate at which alcohol is absorbed by the body. Either you play safe, and stay well below it, or you try to drink up to the limit, and run a serious risk of exceeding it.

Of course, everyone knows that the law lays down a limit, not a prohibition, and that a certain amount of alcohol can be consumed without taking drivers outside the law. This is expressed in the popular wisdom that the limit equals two pints. This can be misleading, but contains some truth. Broadly speaking, if a man of average weight consumes two pints of ordinary strength beer of 4% ABV or less, it is extremely unlikely to take him above the 80 mg legal limit, and in reality will probably lead to a maximum BAC of no higher than 60 mg.

The following is an attempt to express this in rather more detail. It is drawn from various sources, including individuals' experiences of being breath tested, but the primary source is a booklet entitled The Facts about Drinking and Driving, published by the Transport and Road Research Laboratory in 1986, which presumably can be regarded as reasonably authoritative. However, these guidelines are not a statement of fact, and must not be taken as a guarantee of keeping below the legal limit in any particular circumstances.

Alcohol is normally measured in "units" of 10 mg of alcohol. This is the amount of alcohol contained a a half-pint of beer of 3.5% ABV, a single 25 mg pub measure of spirits, or a small 125 mg glass of light table wine.

The rate of absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream is unpredictable and depends on a number of factors such as the level of hydration, the type of alcoholic drink consumed and whether food is eaten at the same time. As a broad rule of thumb, the alcohol in a drink is fully absorbed about an hour after the drink is finished.

The rate at which alcohol is metabolised and removed from the bloodstream is rather more predictable, and averages out at one unit per hour, starting one hour after the first drink is finished. However, the capacity of the body to metabolise alcohol is finite, and is limited to about 16-20 units per day. If you consistently drink around or above this level, you will probably never be below the limit - and you also need to consider seriously whether you have a drink problem!.

To ensure you run no risk of being "over the limit":

Immediately before driving:

- men should consume no more than 4 units, women no more than 3

When drinking the night before driving:

- men should consume no more than 10 units, women no more than 7. (This assumes that no alcohol is consumed after 11.30 pm, and that driving does not take place before 8 am the following morning)

This applies to people of average weight (around 12-13 st for men, 9-10 st for women). If you are particularly small, these figures should be reduced accordingly. But if you are particularly big, it is no guarantee that they can be increased. The figures are lower for women not only because they are usually lighter than men, but also because their metabolism is different.

If you drink more than this, it will not guarantee that you will exceed 80 mg, as the rate of absorption of alcohol is so unpredictable. But even with one unit more you will be running a tangible risk. The above figures are the maximum you can consume without any significant risk of exceeding the legal limit, and also without resulting in any significant increase in accident risk.

It is also important to remember that a half pint of beer or a glass of wine can contain considerably more than one unit. Given that most pubs serve draught beer 5 to 10% under measure, it is fairly safe to assume a half of any beer up to around 4% represents one unit. But, any higher than that, and you have to make adjustments. A pint of 5% beer is almost three units, and even one and a half pints may not quite be safe.

In 1967, very little beer was available above 4% ABV. Now, it is widespread, and in some pubs it can be be difficult to find beer below that strength. In particular, the 33 cl bottles of "designer lagers" that are so popular are usually between 5% and 5.5% ABV, meaning that each contains almost two units, and any more than two could take a driver above 80 mg.

The risks with wine are even greater. Only the very lightest German wines have an ABV as low as 8%, and many pubs and restaurants serve wine in 175 ml or even 225 ml glasses, rather than 125 ml. A 175 ml glass of wine of 12% ABV, which is fairly typical, represents two units. Two such glasses could put a smallish woman over the limit, whereas two pints of bitter would not do so for an average-sized man. An increasing number of pubs are now also serving spirits in 35 mg measures, containing 1.4 units, rather than 25 mg which is exactly one unit.

If you feel this is all a bit complicated, then don't drink anything. It's very simple, and an alcoholic drink will never, ever, make you a better driver. But bear in mind that, to be consistent, that also means you should drink little or nothing the night before driving. It's no good making a point of not touching a drop immediately before driving, and then having a skinful in the evening and getting in your car the next morning. However you want to play it, you must look at your overall pattern of alcohol consumption in relation to driving.