That'll teach them

Rob W

No sympathy - you join the Army and become a tool of politicians

If you go to someone else's country then they may try and kill you - that's what it says on the packet after all and that's what you train for yourself - to kill other people

so why should we sympathise when the inevitable happens and people get killed?

190014[/snapback]

I think that's a ridiculous and completely unsympathetic argument. In the case of our Armed Forces I would imagine people join up for a variety of reasons* but if they did have to fight they probably hoped it would be in defence of Britain, or at least one of our allies that had been attacked, rather than carry out US Foreign policy. Meanwhile, Israel has compulsory national service don't they?

*There are loads of people who join to get away from abusive home lives, because they have no other job prospects, because they want to learn a trade/skill and the Forces was the best option etc., etc. And fair play to them, it's better than sitting on the dole imo. Some people aren't as lucky as you and I in the choices they have you know.

190034[/snapback]

Unsympathetic - agreed

Ridiculous - I don't think so - is it ridiculous to expect some of the people who join the armed services to be killed? Especially when they are involved in military incursions into other countries? Seems common sense to me

PS (edit) joining the Army for a Trade and then complaining about being put in the way of danger was excoriated on here a couple of months ago as blatant stupidity IIRC

Edited by Rob W

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*On a side issue, I'm still a bit shocked by some of the things my recent US guests said to me.  Apparently they couldn't understand why we would have any interest in what was going on in Iraq because it was "between the US and Iraq".

190037[/snapback]

really?

I love it when people live up to stereotype

I suspect I know what his main beef with this article is tbh.

190040[/snapback]

???????????????????????????????????? - expand please

That they aren't using BRITISH tanks which are safer?

That I don't like reading Zionist propaganda in my daily paper?

That I think soldiers may get killed in action?

I'm baffled...........................

No sympathy - you join the Army and become a tool of politicians

If you go to someone else's country then they may try and kill you - that's what it says on the packet after all and that's what you train for yourself - to kill other people

so why should we sympathise when the inevitable happens and people get killed?

190014[/snapback]

I think that's a ridiculous and completely unsympathetic argument. In the case of our Armed Forces I would imagine people join up for a variety of reasons* but if they did have to fight they probably hoped it would be in defence of Britain, or at least one of our allies that had been attacked, rather than carry out US Foreign policy. Meanwhile, Israel has compulsory national service don't they?

*There are loads of people who join to get away from abusive home lives, because they have no other job prospects, because they want to learn a trade/skill and the Forces was the best option etc., etc. And fair play to them, it's better than sitting on the dole imo. Some people aren't as lucky as you and I in the choices they have you know.

190034[/snapback]

Unsympathetic - agreed

Ridiculous - I don't think so - is it ridiculous to expect some of the people who join the armed services to be killed? Especially when they are involved in military incursions into other countries? Seems common sense to me

190071[/snapback]

Ridiculous simplification. Dotbum has you down to a tee though so it's probably not worth continuing.

*On a side issue, I'm still a bit shocked by some of the things my recent US guests said to me.  Apparently they couldn't understand why we would have any interest in what was going on in Iraq because it was "between the US and Iraq".

190037[/snapback]

really?

I love it when people live up to stereotype

190075[/snapback]

I don't, I was depressed.

"Diana's death is a tragedy, 9/11 a statistic?"

never said that - all I said was that Diana's death had more of an impact on me

190067[/snapback]

Well sorry, but that's not normal. Especially since we wittnessed the horror of 9/11 from a 1000 cameras.

_archives_images_fall-tm.jpg

190040[/snapback]

190077[/snapback]

I suspect I know, but I'm playing your game and keeping it to myself.

"Ridiculous simplification."

what is ridiculous or simplified about my statement? Its bloody obviously totally correct...........

If you want to wrap yourself in the Sun or the Wail and go on about "our brave lads" - fine

but not everyone thinks the same way (most of Iraq for a start)

"Ridiculous simplification."

what is ridiculous or simplified about my statement?  Its bloody obviously totally correct...........

If you want to wrap yourself in the Sun or the Wail and go on about "our brave lads" - fine

but not everyone thinks the same way (most of Iraq for a start)

190085[/snapback]

Because you're ignoring the variety of reasons why people join the Army etc. Do you really think I buy into the Mail/Sun line on these matters by the way? You're more like Leazes than you realise. Strawman-tastic tbh.

Edited by alex

On a serious note though, anyone who joins the British armed forces these days can be under no illusions as to how they can expect to be deployed. This has to be a factor for even the underpriviliged element of the intake. They're on full notice that they will be used, unstintingly, to pursue US foreign policy goals.

190038[/snapback]

Am I wrong in assuming that we're talking about the average 18 year old chav? And that they couldn't possibly fathom the consequences of their actions?

Sorry if I have the wrong idea of your armed services.

190070[/snapback]

I'd agree a lot of the intake fits that profile. Having said that I think that it's practically impossible not to see/hear of the horror stories going on in Iraq. Even the average chav is exposed to that and is consequently aware of what they'd be getting themselves in for (broadly speaking). It's not the same thing as having say strong parental guidance or excellent alternative employment prospects etc I grant you, but a choice between being exposed to hostile fire and working in a minimum wage job......I still think the minimum wage job has to be preferable tbh.

Basically all I'm saying is that with coverage of the war as it is, you have to accept that there is some level of informed consent there for people voluntarily signing up.

Thats not to say I dont sympathise with anyone who loses their life in combat.

Most in the Armed Forces would have joined up before the war in Iraq was even mooted though.

190106[/snapback]

I knar that. My original post made the very clear distinction.

I mean anyone joining up now-they must want their fucking heads reading tbh. In fact, the very fact theyre joing up now should be grounds for a discharge in the first place for mental health reasons.

I still think the minimum wage job has to be preferable tbh.

190100[/snapback]

I don't know, are we talking about a McJob? Very close call for me. I totally see what you're saying, it's just with the state of education (and as you pointed out upbringing) the way it is, it's hard to hold them responsible for any action. There's been reasonably popular cases made on here that people should be protected from their own stupidity with regards to Big Brother voting, I don't see how they can be expected to grasp the consequences of this.

They're not in a position to walk away, either, when they realise they've fucked up (which I'd imagine is pretty fucking fast :rolleyes:).

What annoys me even more about Rob's (frankly ignorant) comments are the amount of people from up here that join up. You non-Geordies wouldn't understand though :rolleyes:

I mean anyone joining up now-they must want their fucking heads reading tbh. In fact, the very fact theyre joing up now should be grounds for a discharge in the first place for mental health reasons.

190123[/snapback]

:rolleyes::(:lol:

One of my favourite lines from Heller: "When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as Catch-22 I'm tempted to reply, 'Who has?'"

I still think the minimum wage job has to be preferable tbh.

190100[/snapback]

I don't know, are we talking about a McJob? Very close call for me. I totally see what you're saying, it's just with the state of education (and as you pointed out upbringing) the way it is, it's hard to hold them responsible for any action. There's been reasonably popular cases made on here that people should be protected from their own stupidity with regards to Big Brother voting, I don't see how they can be expected to grasp the consequences of this.

They're not in a position to walk away, either, when they realise they've fucked up (which I'd imagine is pretty fucking fast :rolleyes:).

190133[/snapback]

FACT: During my time at Burger King, the broiler exploded and two fry vats caught fire. It might as well have been Saigon tbh.

I loved the smell of egg-barms in the morning.

190123[/snapback]

One of my favourite lines from Heller: "When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as Catch-22 I'm tempted to reply, 'Who has?'"

190147[/snapback]

Haven't heard that before, quality tbh! Has anyone read anything else (other than Catch 22) by him btw?

190123[/snapback]

190147[/snapback]

Haven't heard that before, quality tbh! Has anyone read anything else (other than Catch 22) by him btw?

190152[/snapback]

Catch 1 - Catch 21 arent up to much tbf.

190123[/snapback]

190147[/snapback]

190152[/snapback]

Catch 1 - Catch 21 arent up to much tbf.

190157[/snapback]

Mong-mag B)

190152[/snapback]

No, I've meant to, but as you've so clearly pointed out on previous occasions, I'm not allowed count that. :rolleyes:

Reminded me I want to read Pirsig's follow up, can't remember what it's called, must find out and write that down somewhere.

190152[/snapback]

No, I've meant to, but as you've so clearly pointed out on previous occasions, I'm not allowed count that. :rolleyes:

Reminded me I want to read Pirsig's follow up, can't remember what it's called, must find out and write that down somewhere.

190197[/snapback]

I must read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' at some point. Cheers on the 'Survivor' and Amy Hempel recommendations by the way. I thought the former was class and I read Hempel's 'Reasons to Live' stories too which were excellent.

You've lost me on the bit in bold like.

I'm confused. If you go into someone else's country, you can expect to be killed?

Now there's a thought.

190158[/snapback]

Unfortunately there ARE a few...............

Afghanistan, Iraq, bits of Nepal, Columbia, S Russia, Algeria in the 90's, N Kenya, S Sudan, bits of W Africa, S Phillipines

190040[/snapback]

190077[/snapback]

I suspect I know, but I'm playing your game and keeping it to myself.

190084[/snapback]

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I LOVE a mystery :rolleyes::(:lol: