Should Newcastle United

LeazesMag

The 5th best thing - whether it's a myth or not, when you consider our actual premier league finishes, the swings from 13th to 3rd to 13th to 4th and all that is only further evidence that we are a rudderless mess.  As has been mentioned, the 4 clubs above us in that have won things, but not only that, they have been consistent in their top 4 finishes for the most part - certainly none have finished outside of the top 6.  That we have is evidence of how far behind those clubs we are because of Shepherd's failure to even think up, never mind implement anything in the way of a medium or long-term plan.

190743[/snapback]

As you say, even if we are the 5th best club, its included some great big swings between great and shite. But if we are 5th best in terms of overall consistency etc. then i'd expect nothing less and a bit more tbh since we have the second biggest crowds and have moiney available most other clubs would dream of (until the likes of Abramovic turned up)

With the resources Fat Fred has had available being the 5th best club would be a minimum requirement.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect a reminder about the Westwood/Seymour/McKeag years skyboys :nufc:

190762[/snapback]

Long shorts...jumpers for goalposts....

Jesus wept...Middlesbrough have gone to the wall and started up again in that time and they've won something. Chairman seems like a canny bloke an all.

190762[/snapback]

Jesus wept...Middlesbrough have gone to the wall and started up again in that time and they've won something. Chairman seems like a canny bloke an all.

190770[/snapback]

Looked like he'd just been let out of borstal when he first bought the club mind.

190762[/snapback]

190770[/snapback]

Looked like he'd just been let out of borstal when he first bought the club mind.

190773[/snapback]

Perhaps thats the answer. A stretch on bread and water couldnt do our fat cunt any harm.

190762[/snapback]

190770[/snapback]

190773[/snapback]

Perhaps thats the answer. A stretch on bread and water couldnt do our fat cunt any harm.

190776[/snapback]

I can just imagine him kicking the shit out of Brian Barwick a la Ray Winston in Scum

"Right Barwick you bastard, I'm the daddy now!"

Expect a reminder about the Westwood/Seymour/McKeag years skyboys <_<

190762[/snapback]

190770[/snapback]

190773[/snapback]

190776[/snapback]

I can just imagine him kicking the shit out of Brian Barwick a la Ray Winston in Scum

"Right Barwick you bastard, I'm the daddy now!"

190779[/snapback]

:nufc:

Leazes, I wrote this in reponse to HTL on N-O.  He still disagrees as far as I'm aware, but I think it's a valid argument.  What's your take on it?  Any major spending decisions in any business have to have a business case behind them (or a footballing case, if you like).  We don't have a set-up like this at NUFC.

You don't see the Chairman's role at the club as anything other than provider of transfer funds.  Chairmen of ALL businesses mould company policy and have an active role in forming and influencing the major decisions that are taken.  There are no bigger decisions at a football club (outside of appointing the manager) than which players to sign.  The Chairman can and should have an active role in this - I'm not saying he should tell the manager who to sign, but he should caution the manager against overspending in one area of the team and work with his manager to form a sensible plan which they both then take into the market and try to make a reality.  The Chairman's role in this is paramount, and you see these sort of relationships working perfectly fine at other club's because the chairman along with his manager has a defined goal when he enters the market.  We don't have that.  That is not all the manager's fault, because if the manager comes to the Chairman with a ragtag plan, the Chairman needs to sit him down and work something out - a manager should be coming to his Chairman with what amounts to a business plan for why they need to buy a specific player and then having that approved via discussion and consideration of alternatives.

I GUARANTEE that at other clubs where less money is available, that these are the sort of conversations managers and chairmen have.  We don't have this sort of setup at Newcastle.  It's all done on the hoof and it shows.

Look at us this summer - Roeder has admitted that we were short in defence and in attack.  Now what happened?  If you exclude Bernard for a minute, we signed two midfielders and a striker.  No defenders.  Now, if Shepherd and Roeder were working in tandem they would both have sat down, Shepherd would have told Roeder what he had to spend and they would both have formed a strategy to strengthen where we needed to with the funds at our disposal - maybe divvying the funds up between the different areas and then Roeder identifying the players that he wanted to work towards signing within a framework defined by him and his Chairman.

Instead what we got was the signing of Duff (an excellent signing on the face of things) which was done completely on the hoof and with a total disregard for the actual areas of the team we needed to strengthen.  In the knowledge that we had limited funds this was total negligence on behalf of both manager AND chairman.

Can you not agree with this?  I don't think I'm really suggesting anything out of the ordinary, just a basic framework for making sensible transfer decisions.

190611[/snapback]

So you don't think our major priority was replacing Alan Shearer, and even Bellamy - as he hasn't been replaced or hadn't been, as Owen is out for a season ?

Are you saying we should have bought a defender and spent the whole of the season playing with Luque, Ameobi and maybe Milner up front ?

I think the club HAVE prioritised, they knew we needed 2 forwards, minimum.

The fact that no money is left to replace Babayaro, with someone better, is the fault of the previous manager, who's legacy will take more than 8 months to recover from.

190634[/snapback]

I think the no money line is a load of shit. If Roeder knew he couldn't afford the three 'pole position' players (presumably Huth/Bridge/Viduka) then he should never have told the press that he was in pole position to get them, I can't imagine for the life of me that he thought he would get them all for free.

So either Roeder is spouting a load of shite, or there is absolutely no communication between manager and board.

And if as I suspect that the two of them were so busy phoning Willy McKie to realise that Huth was signing for the Boro and the other two weren't available, it is entirely there own fault that they hadn't identified replacements.

My own theory is that Shepherd thought he would gamble and try and get some cheap 'closing down sale' bargains and it has backfired grandly.... Even Leazes must admit that the waiting until the end of the window game is becoming a bit of a common habit.

Leazes destroyed comprehensively in every argument shocker.

190797[/snapback]

Strange.

But I don't agree.

If the club had bought 2 defenders and no forwards, you would still be slagging them off, wound't you ?

See the reason I started this thread, people like you just expect us to buy every player, and have unlimted cash, and all this with a "shite" board.

Utter Drivel.

190797[/snapback]

Strange.

But I don't agree.

If the club had bought 2 defenders and no forwards, you would still be slagging them off, wound't you ?

See the reason I started this thread, people like you just expect us to buy every player, and have unlimted cash, and all this with a "shite" board.

Utter Drivel.

190820[/snapback]

Anelka was £8m, leaving us £7m to buy defenders.

No?

Freddy's the problem at this club. Does anyone really think we'd be in this position if we had a competent chairman who had the balls to pick a big name manager? Freddy picked Roeder because he was the cheap, easy option and allowed him to meddle in first team affairs like he did to Robson and a lesser extent Souness.

190676[/snapback]

:nufc:<_<:(

2nd biggest joke in the thread.

So Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and even fuckwit himself weren't "big name" managers ?

And how many managers can you name me who match Dalglish's track record ?

Fookin hilarious .......

190693[/snapback]

Aha, Leazes displays another superpower that's got him far in this thread. Reading stuff out of context.

When I say appoint a big name manager I wasn't talking about 1997, you tit. I was talking about April/May 2005 when apparently big names from all over the world were climbing over each other to get the job and we plumped for the man with a less than satisfying track record. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for Roeder getting us out of the shit last year but Carver beat Blackburn 3-0 when Robson left which was probably our most convincing win that year, Freddy didn't go on and appoint him did he?

Freddy didn't appoint Roeder because of his talent, he appointed Pigeon Heed because he's a puppet and he knows he's lucky to have the Newcastle job.

190707[/snapback]

You should make yourself clearer then you stupid wanker ;)

If Shearer is indeed lined up to be the next manager, this is all a "long term plan" isn't it .... so I hope you and other tossers like you see this, as its what you keep going on about so much.

On the other hand, there ARE still 86 other clubs who haven't done as well as us in the last decade. Fact.

What do you think of the purpose of this thread ? Would it take us to buy every single player in the world, regardless of our finacial position for wankers like you not to criticise the board at NUFC for everything beginning with the weather outside ??

;):angry:

190797[/snapback]

Strange.

But I don't agree.

Utter Drivel.

190820[/snapback]

No?

190826[/snapback]

I wouldn't touch Anelka with yours. But you thought Luque and Faye were good.

190797[/snapback]

Strange.

But I don't agree.

Utter Drivel.

190820[/snapback]

No?

190826[/snapback]

190829[/snapback]

Anelka is a proven goalscorer in the premiership. You're happier we've spent £10m on someone who isn't? :nufc:

Leazes being a tad blinkered for a change. :nufc: Look at where we needed strengthening, i.e. defence. Campbell was available and willing to come apparently. Bridge may have been had we acted sooner. Sorin has gone to Hamburg for not very much, Trabelsi has gone to Man City on a pay as you play deal. That's just off the top of my head. We could have potentially gotten 3 of those 4 for around the £3million mark.

189894[/snapback]

Can't see where I am being blinkered, in fact I think the majority of people on here who seem either oblivious to the financial position of the club - through a lack of intelligence or just because they are deluded enough to think we can just spend what we like - are the blinkered ones. And for what its worth, as a squad player for a small fee Sibierski is alright - bearing in mind again our budget - whereas my main worry is Martins because if he flops, that is another 10m quid down the plug, and this is the type of signing who has created the position that we are in now ie Luque, Boumsong, and many others before those over previous years.

190617[/snapback]

Nobody is oblivious to the financial position of the club. Nobody is saying we only spent £15m, why not more. What we're saying is, why not spend the £15m more prudently? That's a question Freddy Shepherd should be asking too. But prudent spending robs him of his Hollywood signings and requires him to actually put some hard graft in helping his manager to establish a transfer plan. Why do that when you can fly by the seat of your pants and then just say "One thing you can't level at us is that we're boring." He actually thinks that this is an asset of ours ffs!?

190624[/snapback]

Ok Gem, we'll go and buy 7 x 2m pound players, and see where that gets you, if you dont' want "hollywood" signings .... plenty of those over at the SOS mate.

190675[/snapback]

Sorin, Campbell, Trabelsi, Roberts - that's £2.5m for ya.

Leazes, seeing that we're the 5th best club in the country, would anything less than 5th this season be seen as a failure of Freddie, or of Roeder?

190692[/snapback]

Wouldn't touch Campbell. Jason Roberts for 2.5m ? I don't think so. Anyway, I think I have stated that I believe the club's main problem was up front, and has been addressed. Of course, if shithead Luque had justified his fee, it wouldn't have been so important.

Time to let some clueless fookwits on here to agree with each other I think .....

190699[/snapback]

So if Martins doesn't work out who will you blame. When a company underperforms year on year you must look at the top management of that company and that is FFS.

You right about there being at least one clueless fookwits on here though. Although I have only seen one.

190709[/snapback]

Who will I blame ?

What a stupid question. The manager of course, who would you blame ?

You still don't understand the concept of the manager being responsible for his own players do you

190797[/snapback]

Strange.

But I don't agree.

Utter Drivel.

190820[/snapback]

No?

190826[/snapback]

190829[/snapback]

Anelka is a proven goalscorer in the premiership. You're happier we've spent £10m on someone who isn't? :nufc:

190831[/snapback]

10m on who ? Martins ? Luque ?

I wouldn't buy Anelka, full stop, unless it was for a ridiculously low fee that I would be prepared to write off if need be.

Leazes being a tad blinkered for a change. :nufc: Look at where we needed strengthening, i.e. defence. Campbell was available and willing to come apparently. Bridge may have been had we acted sooner. Sorin has gone to Hamburg for not very much, Trabelsi has gone to Man City on a pay as you play deal. That's just off the top of my head. We could have potentially gotten 3 of those 4 for around the £3million mark.

189894[/snapback]

Can't see where I am being blinkered, in fact I think the majority of people on here who seem either oblivious to the financial position of the club - through a lack of intelligence or just because they are deluded enough to think we can just spend what we like - are the blinkered ones. And for what its worth, as a squad player for a small fee Sibierski is alright - bearing in mind again our budget - whereas my main worry is Martins because if he flops, that is another 10m quid down the plug, and this is the type of signing who has created the position that we are in now ie Luque, Boumsong, and many others before those over previous years.

190617[/snapback]

Nobody is oblivious to the financial position of the club. Nobody is saying we only spent £15m, why not more. What we're saying is, why not spend the £15m more prudently? That's a question Freddy Shepherd should be asking too. But prudent spending robs him of his Hollywood signings and requires him to actually put some hard graft in helping his manager to establish a transfer plan. Why do that when you can fly by the seat of your pants and then just say "One thing you can't level at us is that we're boring." He actually thinks that this is an asset of ours ffs!?

190624[/snapback]

Ok Gem, we'll go and buy 7 x 2m pound players, and see where that gets you, if you dont' want "hollywood" signings .... plenty of those over at the SOS mate.

190675[/snapback]

Leazes, seeing that we're the 5th best club in the country, would anything less than 5th this season be seen as a failure of Freddie, or of Roeder?

190692[/snapback]

Wouldn't touch Campbell. Jason Roberts for 2.5m ? I don't think so. Anyway, I think I have stated that I believe the club's main problem was up front, and has been addressed. Of course, if shithead Luque had justified his fee, it wouldn't have been so important.

Time to let some clueless fookwits on here to agree with each other I think .....

190699[/snapback]

So if Martins doesn't work out who will you blame. When a company underperforms year on year you must look at the top management of that company and that is FFS.

You right about there being at least one clueless fookwits on here though. Although I have only seen one.

190709[/snapback]

Who will I blame ?

You still don't understand the concept of the manager being responsible for his own players do you

190832[/snapback]

You still don't understand the concept of the chairman being responsible for his own managers do you

What's the consensus on N-O? Is HTT planning a mass uprising with banners, German flags with the words 'Freddy Out' painted on and beach towels?

190751[/snapback]

and you are ?

189894[/snapback]

190617[/snapback]

190624[/snapback]

190675[/snapback]

190692[/snapback]

190699[/snapback]

190709[/snapback]

Who will I blame ?

190832[/snapback]

You still don't understand the concept of the chairman being responsible for his own managers do you

190836[/snapback]

eerrr...yes I do. I have never defended the board for appointing Souness. All boards make crap appointments.

If you think Dalglish, Robson and Gullit were not considered to be top appointments at the time, please explain the criteria you apply when assessing and apppointing managers.

189894[/snapback]

190617[/snapback]

190624[/snapback]

190675[/snapback]

190692[/snapback]

190699[/snapback]

190709[/snapback]

Who will I blame ?

190832[/snapback]

190836[/snapback]

eerrr...yes I do. I have never defended the board for appointing Souness. All boards make crap appointments.

If you think Dalglish, Robson and Gullit were not considered to be top appointments at the time, please explain the criteria you apply when assessing and apppointing managers.

190841[/snapback]

Believe it or not, Luque was one of the hottest players in Europe at the time. The only reason they sold him to us is because they didn't want to sell him to Barca or Real, who both made offers for him.

You can't see how you're being slightly hypocritical about this? Souness made a mistake in signing Luque, in the same way that the board made a mistake in appointing Souness (who at the time was just about to be sacked by a club who certainly aren't one of the top 5 in the country).