Alan Oliver

Gemmill

Haway let's see if we can piece together in advance the article that this knobsock will come up with today. Bear in mind that it'll have been pretty much dictated to him by Shepherd, so NOTHING is too ridiculous in terms of excuses for why we haven't signed who we should have.

Come up with 5 things each and we'll play Alan Oliver Bingo later.

My prediction:

1. The article will be heavily focussed on how "it shouldn't be forgotten" how we swooped for Duff and Martins.

2. There'll be mention of the excellent fee we got Duff for.

3. There'll be mention of Roeder and his frigging airmiles - by the way, I don't want to hear any sob stories from Roeder about that. I would LOVE to be flying around the place trying to sign players for Newcastle. If it's too much hassle for him, he knows where the door is.

4. There'll be an excuse made about their being a lack of quality players available at the minute.

5. He'll lay it on thick about how Shepherd and Roeder were both up really late, the poor bairns.

Your turn.

6. Mention of how there was no point bringing in players that wouldnt improve the squad

7. Roeder had to contend with the squad left to him by the previous manager

8. Something else blaming souness - maybe his overpayments for certain players

9. How Rossi was a real capture after a host of others wanted him

10. How it will be a time for players like Taylor to shine

bah.

I think he will tell us how Shepherd and Roeder worked hard until midnight, just waiting for the outcome of the Cole tranfer whose late finalisation left them a bit "astounded" (or another fancy word Anal had to look up in a dictionary9.

I'd say that there'll be 100% positive spin put onto it. About how the transfer window was a combination of fantastic steals like Duff, how we fought tooth and nail and spent big money in bringing in Martins, and some excellent wheeling and dealing to bring in starlet Rossi and Geordie Boy Sibierski.

There'll also be something about reports we wanted Viduka or rid of Milner "wide of the mark".

Major part of the problem for me. Lick-spittle head regional sports journalist bumming the chairman/basically on the clubs payroll. Not acting as a natural check and balance and taking the club to task over unacceptable standards of professionalism.

There'll also be something about reports we wanted  Viduka or rid of Milner "wide of the mark".

189915[/snapback]

Aye a horrible mix-up involving Shepherd sending Milner to the shop to get him some pop, only to ring him two hours later to ask where his Sasparilla was and find him on the train to Aston Villa.

Major part of the problem for me. Lick-spittle head regional sports journalist bumming the chairman/basically on the clubs payroll. Not acting as a natural check and balance and taking the club to task over unacceptable standards of professionalism.

189917[/snapback]

Well that's it in a nutshell. Rumour time: When SBR was manager he went to Shepherd complaining there was a mole in the club giving stories to Oliver and he wanted him found and sacked. Turns out the mole was Fat Fred. Could be bollocks but it was from a canny source and it sounds feasible. Oliver is basically Shepherd's mouthpiece. Not saying he should be anti-Shepherd/the club. He should just be unbiased. He has zero credibility as a journalist imo.

"Roeder believes the aquisition of 6'2" Sibierski is a much-needed reinforcement for his diminutive strike force."

"Shepherd and Roeder were pulling out all the stops, as the candle burned ever smaller in the window."

"Shepherd and Roeder were let down on two signings that they had been assured were available."

"After outlaying nearly £16m.... blah, blah, blah" (yes I know this has been suggested, but it is a banker really - as is the 'wide of the mark' and 'sidelined' rubbish he spews on a regular basis)

"Despite the disappointing end to the transfer window, Roeder is ready for the challenge ahead with his current crop of players."

btw, I haven't bought the chron for years now, purely down to the D'Ohliver crap.

"Glenn Roeder finally landed his No.1 target last night in an audacious swoop for Frenchman Antoine Sibierski. Rumours that the manager was after a defender or striker are wide of the mark the club are well stocked in those positions with the emergence of young homegrown talents such as Taylor and Ramage and the £10million capture of Nigerian sensation Obafemi Martins who achieved his dream move to Newcastle recently."