Too little and far too late from United

Craig

Newcastle United find themselves under fire from their fans today after failing to make any impact on transfer deadline day.

And it is easy to see why.

The acquisition of a 32-year-old French midfielder who cannot get his place at Manchester City has left everyone underwhelmed.

Especially as the agent who did the transfer is Willie Mackay, whose last two dealings with United involving, Jean Alan Boumsong and Amady Faye, were not exactly a success.

Just who decided that United needed a left-sided midfielder, when it is probably the department where they are the strongest, is open to conjecture.

After missing out on Robert Huth, Mark Viduka, Lucas Neill and Zat Knight because the other clubs would not sell, United were involved in a mad scramble to bring in new players to strengthen their 15-16 man squad which, quite frankly, does not look strong enough to battle away on four fronts this season.

Really yesterday was nothing short of a farce as clubs tried to involve themselves in transfers they probably would have cringed at a couple of months earlier.

I just hope United have learned their lesson and never again will the lights still be burning at St James' Park at 10 o'clock on transfer deadline night.

I really feel sorry for Glenn Roeder (left). Freddy Shepherd has never failed to come up with lots of lolly for his managers.

But the bottomless pit is . . . well, not bottomless any more.

Roeder is paying for the sins of his predecessor, who wasted £20m on Boumsong and Albert Luque.

In fact, Roeder must look at the £50m Shepherd handed Graeme Souness to spend in his 17 months at the club and feel like weeping.

Roeder and Shepherd did magnificently to get Damien Duff for £5m, and we wait to see what impact the £10m Oba Martins will have.

However, United look a bit short in several departments, and after losing Alan Shearer, Lee Bowyer, Michael Chopra, Boumsong, Robbie Elliott, Faye and Martin Brittain it is easy to see why. Martins, Duff and Giuseppe Rossi have come in and James Milner and Nicky Butt have returned. But don't forget Butt and Milner weren't deemed good enough for United after being farmed out on loan to Birmingham City and Aston Villa.

Speaking of Aston Villa, they are only a moderate side. Yet they beat United easily last Sunday.

I left Villa Park with a bad feeling last Sunday. And nothing that has happened this week, including the signing of a poor man's Thomas Gravesen, has changed this. I can only hope that I am wrong.

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Surprise, surprise, Fred and Glenn are totally blameless and it's all Souness' fault!! :nufc:

I swear Oliver is LM in drag!

What he conveniently misses out is the four defenders we missed out on because the clubs wouldn't sell were last minute panics. Rather than the case being that we had to panic at the last minute because we couldn't get them.

It starts off quite well, with even a hint of criticism, but he soon realises what side his bread's buttered and puts that right. Finishes it with a little dig though. Better than I expected.

I get a point for the comment about how well they did to get Duff for £5m btw. :nufc:

What he conveniently misses out is the four defenders we missed out on because the clubs wouldn't sell were last minute panics. Rather than the case being that we had to panic at the last minute because we couldn't get them.

190445[/snapback]

Also the fact that this farce has nothing to do with money and everything to do with strategy.

It's cobblers about feeling sorry for Roeder btw.  He had £15m + to spend.  So spend it wisely.  That's plenty money to patch over some of the holes in our squad.

190453[/snapback]

Exactly, gets no sympathy off me. Most clubs in the league would die to have £15m available to spend on players, we're the lucky ones.

Still....20 million on luque and boumsong....still can't believe that when i read it....

190444[/snapback]

I know, neither can I. I'm sure it was just £17mill :nufc:

190446[/snapback]

Oh yeah you're right....

9.5 for luque and boumer was 8. Jesus Anal can't even get transfer costs right....what a spanner....

It's cobblers about feeling sorry for Roeder btw.  He had £15m + to spend.  So spend it wisely.  That's plenty money to patch over some of the holes in our squad.

190453[/snapback]

Exactly, gets no sympathy off me. Most clubs in the league would die to have £15m available to spend on players, we're the lucky ones.

190456[/snapback]

Look at Redknapp, I would have thought he'd be spending millions yet has brought in ten players for about tuppence

Another thing: Nitpicking a tad but Boumsong and Luque were more like £18million combined. Plus we've got somewhere in the region of £4million back for Boumsong. Also, if we were that skint we should have prioritised better and not spunked £15million on two players (to reiterate) after the lessons that should have been learned last year. Blaming Souness is the easy option too. Needs to look a bit deeper tbh

Still....20 million on luque and boumsong....still can't believe that when i read it....

190444[/snapback]

190446[/snapback]

Oh yeah you're right....

9.5 for luque and boumer was 8. Jesus Anal can't even get transfer costs right....what a spanner....

190461[/snapback]

He's too busy at the Chelsea training ground waiting to interview Huth about how his move to Boro broke down.

The problem is not that we're skint because of Souness, even though it's still shocking to think that we paid £10m for Luque. The problem is that it looks like there were probably between £16m and £20m to spend, and we blew it all on two players, one of whom is completely unproven and the other is a luxury. There seems to be no coherent transfer policy at all.

190453[/snapback]

190456[/snapback]

Exactly.

Also, of the money Souness spent, Owen (£16m), Parker (£6.5m), Emre (£4m??), Babayaro (whatever he cost) are still in the squad. That's about £27-28m. It's not like we've spent that money and Roeder has no players to show for it.

Emre was 3.5M and Baba was 1M

People are forgetting that we did get quite a bit of money back aswell.

Jenas £9M

Bellamy £5M

O'Brien £2M

Ambrose £1M

Viana £1.7M

Hughes £2M?

Edited by menace13

Emre was 3.5M and Baba was 1M

People are forgetting that we did get quite a bit of money back aswell.

Jenas £9M

Bellamy £5M

O'Brien £2M

Ambrose £1M

Viana £1.7M

190499[/snapback]

Emre wasn't £3.5m, not according to the statement to the city anyway.

Oliver is a complete knob.

He consistently called Souness something along the lines of 'the most honest man in football' for months before resorting to his current tack

He slated Robert before becoming his friend again and deciding he wasnt all bad.

He laid into both Bellamy and Robert and claimed consistently that both were responsible for their own exit. Thereupon he decided that it was his ex-friend Souness.

Tip of the iceberg that lot.

The slant today is that he is worried after Villa. You can see the snidey tosser beginning to change his view just in case Roeder fucks up. Horrible little scrote. Roeder has been sucked in by the arsehole. Roeder wants to give the fans news and Oliver is happy with that. then we get let down, Glen looks a tit and Oliver makes something up.

Place is a bloody shambles. WE need new chairman, new manager and new chief sports reporter.

Edited by gram

He consistently called Souness something along the lines of 'the most honest man in football' for months before resorting to his current tack

190505[/snapback]

Souness then backed this up, by saying 'Alan, to be honest, I wish you'd fuck off.'

190444[/snapback]

190446[/snapback]

Oh yeah you're right....

190461[/snapback]

He's too busy at the Chelsea training ground waiting to interview Huth about how his move to Boro broke down.

190466[/snapback]

Well, hopefully he waits there forever as the move didn't break down.

190444[/snapback]

190446[/snapback]

Oh yeah you're right....

190461[/snapback]

190466[/snapback]

Well, hopefully he waits there forever as the move didn't break down.

190515[/snapback]

Kinda what I meant. Shame Anal doesn't realise it (guess you missed the earlier story)