Director of football, Chief Executive

Isegrim

I really think Newcastle should seriously consider this. Even if LM thinks otherwise only few people think that Fat Fred is doing a bad job in providing the cash and generating money. In fact that really isn't Newcastle's problem. IMHO the problem is the structure that there isn't an intermediate person between the manager and the chairman that has a vast knowledge of football and whose one and only job it is to aid the manager on a full time job. I really think someone like Keegan (not necessarily him) would be absolutely perfect for the job.

Edited by Isegrim

I really think Newcastle should seriously consider this.  Even if LM thinks otherwise only few people think that Fat Fred is doing a bad job in providing the cash and generating money. In fact that really isn't Newcastle's problem. IMHO the problem is the structure that there isn't an intermediate person between the manager and the chairman that has a vast knowledge of football and whose one and only job it is to aid the manager on a full time job. I really think someone like Keegan (not necessarily him) would be absolutely perfect for the job.

191410[/snapback]

I really think Newcastle should seriously consider this.  Even if LM thinks otherwise only few people think that Fat Fred is doing a bad job in providing the cash and generating money. In fact that really isn't Newcastle's problem. IMHO the problem is the structure that there isn't an intermediate person between the manager and the chairman that has a vast knowledge of football and whose one and only job it is to aid the manager on a full time job. I really think someone like Keegan (not necessarily him) would be absolutely perfect for the job.

191410[/snapback]

191413[/snapback]

i am not fat, i am the main scout for newcastle and always will. i sit and watch players on video before i buy.

191410[/snapback]

191413[/snapback]

i am not fat, i am the main scout for newcastle and always will. i sit and watch players on video before i buy.

191418[/snapback]

191410[/snapback]

What do I think ? Show me where it works, show me other clubs that have one ?

The one outstanding example I can think of is Keegan at Fulham, with Wilkins as manager. They sacked Wilkins and Keegan took over, and rocketed to the league title from that point on. So what was the point of having Keegan as a DOF ?

Spurs also did it of course - but that didn't work either. Arneson did it, and David Pleat does it ? What do they do ? If you mean someone with a fancy title doing what Arneson does, then OK but overall there is only one man in charge of the football side of things in the end.

191420[/snapback]

you should learn to type and not hit the repeat key you fat cunt

191410[/snapback]

Agreed. Keegan would be perfect (if he would be accepted by FS) because he will not take any interference. He would ensure the manager was left alone to run the football side of things and obviously help raise the profile.

191410[/snapback]

191421[/snapback]

Well if you don't take the title literally there are a lot of clubs who have figures who are acting successfully in operating as a sort of director of football full time. Peter Kenyon, albeit called a "chief executive" at Chelsea, David Dein as a "vice-chairman" at Arsenal resonsible for the day-to-day operations. Liverpool have Parry. Most successful European clubs have them. Bayern have Uli Hoeneß. Real have a long history of directors of football and their recent spell of lacking success might be a bit down to a crazy president who rather fancied assembling a squad of Galacticos than putting together a balanced squad (and left people like Sacchi a bit frustrated). Most other big clubs in Spain and Italy have them as well. In Jormany Bremen a team that could regularly break Bayern's reign by doing clever transfer deals have now Klaus Allofs. Hamburg's recent success on the transfer market and on the pitch is also down to Beiersdorfer who pulled out some cunning deals.

Edited by Isegrim

191410[/snapback]

Agreed. Keegan would be perfect (if he would be accepted by FS) because he will not take any interference. He would ensure the manager was left alone to run the football side of things and obviously help raise the profile.

191425[/snapback]

Like the flag, O/Gol :blink:

DOF ?? I'm not sure on this one. It would have to be an exceptionally good working relationship between manager and DOF for it to work e.g. one where the DOF wouldn't raise his eyebrows, in the direction of the Chairman, if he didn't agree with what the manager was doing.

191410[/snapback]

191421[/snapback]

Well if you don't take the title literally there are a lot of clubs who have figures who are acting successfully in operating as a sort of director of football full time. Peter Kenyon, albeit called a "chief executive" at Chelsea, David Dein as a "vice-chairman" at Arsenal resonsible for the day-to-day operations. Liverpool have Parry. Most successful European clubs have them. Bayern have Uli Hoeneß. Real have a long history of directors of football and their recent spell of lacking success might be a bit down to a crazy president who rather fancied assembling a squad of Galacticos than putting together a balanced squad (and left people like Sacchi a bit frustrated). Most other big clubs in Spain and Italy have them as well. In Jormany Bremen a team that could regularly break Bayern's reign by doing clever transfer deals have now Klaus Allofs. Hamburg's recent success on the transfer market and on the pitch is also down to Beiersdorfer who pulled out some cunning deals.

191435[/snapback]

ah....a Chief Executive, like Freddie Fletcher was ? I suspected that is what you meant. Why not. But it depends who it is, obviously. I think Keegan in such a role would be a waste, he himself would probably want to become more involved in the football which would of course be a good thing .....

Like the flag, O/Gol  :blink:

DOF ?? I'm not sure on this one. It would have to be an exceptionally good working relationship between manager and DOF for it to work e.g. one where the DOF wouldn't raise his eyebrows, in the direction of the Chairman, if he didn't agree with what the manager was doing.

191439[/snapback]

Good point, I feel Roeder and Keegan would work, they both seem affable, hard-working and would respect each other. The real issue is, of course, that while the idea may be a sound one in principal (as long as we can avoid some of the pitfalls like the one you've mentioned) Shepherd would never in a million years: hire someone to take over some of his favourite responsibilities; get on with them once they were in place.

191410[/snapback]

191421[/snapback]

191435[/snapback]

ah....a Chief Executive, like Freddie Fletcher was ? I suspected that is what you meant. Why not. But it depends who it is, obviously. I think Keegan in such a role would be a waste, he himself would probably want to become more involved in the football which would of course be a good thing .....

191441[/snapback]

I don't care what you call him in the end. But a person that really is doing the day-to-day job full time. Of course you are right in saying that this person should have no interest in the manager job at all and therefore I concede that Keegan might be in fact a bad choice.

But here is what I copied and pasted from .com about Newcastle's board.

Chairman, NUFC Ltd. Freddy Shepherd

PLC Executive Director Freddy Shepherd

PLC Chairman Freddy Shepherd

Executive Chairman VACANT

Deputy Chairman Douglas Hall

Chief Operating Officer Russell Cushing

Director of Commercial Affairs VACANT

Director of Finance Ken Slater

Executive Director VACANT

Director Russell Jones

President Sir John Hall

Honorary President Bob Young

Patron Trevor Bennett

Head of Media Gary Oliver

Asst. Press Officer Mark Hannen

Director of Football Administration (Russell Cushing)

Company Secretary (Russell Cushing)

Customer Services Officer Judy Porteous

I just highlighted the parts where I do think the problem lies. Again, I don't think that Shepherd is doing everything wrong. And I am not one of them who desperately want him to go. But I do think that Freddie is probably filling in too many positions. I don't know how big his involvement is nowadays in Shepherd Offshores is, but even if it is more or less non-existent and down to Bruce Shepherd than holding three positions at once isn't ideal. Other key positions are vacant. I don't think Dougie Hall is really involved in the club's operating nowadays anymore. And I am unsure about Russell Cushing, but I don't think you can compare him to the figures I have mentioned being working for other clubs. I do think that this club lacks a professional setup that is adequate for a club or company of the size of Newcastle.

I've never quite understood the role of DOF and tbh I still dont however worryingly if Shepherd was to think this way then the names to fill the role would consist of

A.Shearer

A.Shearer

J.Nail

A.Shearer

As for Keegan then personally no, I wouldnt want to see him take up any role at this club. No offence to the bloke and I have the utmost respect for what he did for us both as a player and manager but frankly I think hes a loose cannon and someone who has still to prove himself at management level.

He took us to the pinnacle, 2 games away from pissing the league and then threw it all away. He made a mockery of the players by disbanding the reserves thereby having a dozen top name professionals sitting on their arses week after week on the off chance of kicking a ball, when they did they werent match fit.

He took Man City nowhere, the credit for turning that club round goes to their chairman not Keegan, before that he pissed away the biggest job in the country and one which every English manager should see as the ultmate job.

As proven by his time with us, City, England and Fulham he has no loyalty towards the job, will leave on a whim and act like some weird heedthebal whenever he doesnt get his own way "I quit, I really didnt like the way we hurt another managers feelings by tonking them 7-1"

Keegan coming back here in any role where he has a say in the running of the club would be a mistake of the highest order. As would appointing Shearer to the job, I have absolutely no idea who would be good for us in that role, what I do believe is that Shepherd would (yet again) make the wrong appointment.

[/rant]

I've never quite understood the role of DOF and tbh I still dont however worryingly if Shepherd was to think this way then the names to fill the role would consist of

A.Shearer

A.Shearer

J.Nail

A.Shearer

As for Keegan then personally no, I wouldnt want to see him take up any role at this club. No offence to the bloke and I have the utmost respect for what he did for us both as a player and manager but frankly I think hes a loose cannon and someone who has still to prove himself at management level.

He took us to the pinnacle, 2 games away from pissing the league and then threw it all away. He made a mockery of the players by disbanding the reserves thereby having a dozen top name professionals sitting on their arses week after week on the off chance of kicking a ball, when they did they werent match fit.

He took Man City nowhere, the credit for turning that club round goes to their chairman not Keegan, before that he pissed away the biggest job in the country and one which every English manager should see as the ultmate job.

As proven by his time with us, City, England and Fulham he has no loyalty towards the job, will leave on a whim and act like some weird heedthebal whenever he doesnt get his own way "I quit, I really didnt like the way we hurt another managers feelings by tonking them 7-1"

Keegan coming back here in any role where he has a say in the running of the club would be a mistake of the highest order. As would appointing Shearer to the job, I have absolutely no idea who would be good for us in that role, what I do believe is that Shepherd would (yet again) make the wrong appointment.

[/rant]

191453[/snapback]

Keegan's emotive response to certain things is certainly no worse than you're reaction to him tbh. Taking Newcastle to 2nd might be regarded as a greater achievement than winning with Man U, and all the great ones are a bit nutso, it comes with the territory.

Why don't you think Shearer will work? I have my concerns, but I am not sure either way.

Edited by ObaGol

Dunno if Director of Football is what we need to stop the fat fucker meddling. But I think a Chief Executive to deal with the day to day running of the footballing side of things would definitely work. A lot of the clubs who are running well have them i.e.

Chelsea - Abromovich is Chairman, Kenyon is Chief Executive

Liverpool - Moores is Chairman, Parry is Chief Executive

Arsenal - Hill-Wood is Chairman, Dein is Chief Executive

Man Utd - Glazer is Chairman, Gill is Chief Executive

even Boro are going along the right lines with Gibson as Chairman and Lamb as Chief Executive.

Dunno if Director of Football is what we need to stop the fat fucker meddling. But I think a Chief Executive to deal with the day to day running of the footballing side of things would definitely work. A lot of the clubs who are running well have them i.e.

even Boro are going along the right lines with Gibson as Chairman and Lamb as Chief Executive.

191462[/snapback]

Great shout, think its something we need to look into.

191462[/snapback]

Maybe I used the wrong term, but I think I clarified it by listing those people I was thinking of. It's just that those people from Jorman clubs I have in mind are often classified as directors of football. Their job is more or less to represent the board in football matters.