player versatility

Tino asprilla

in times of desperation in our striker situations i ask myself..."should players become more versatile?" in other words should our midfielders be able to play in a strikers position i mean these guys are profesional and are played more than i could dream of. im not saying a defender should be able to play up front but shurely some of our midfielders are capable of performing in that position, perhaps im just losing my mind in times of need but i just wonder what u guys think?

bring back tino asprilla maybe?

:blink:

It's quite feasable that players can prove to be valuable in a position that is not deemed their natural place. Over the years forwards have become capable defenders and vice-versa.

One that springs to mind is Terry Cooper who I belive was a left winger and became an England left back.

In my younger playing days(played til I was 56) I fluctuated between Left-half, Inside-left, & Left-back mainly because there always seemed to be a shortage of left-footed players, AND, I was a natural Right-footer but wasn't too bad with my left.

I think it has a lot to do with mind-set, ability to quickly adapt to a position, and the big asset of being able to read the game.

I can play just about anywhere (I'm not even a bad 'keeper) and I get paid sod all to train and play football all day so it's not really unreasonable. The Germans and Dutch are fond of this type of training they call it "total football"

I can play just about anywhere (I'm not even a bad 'keeper) and I get paid sod all to train and play football all day so it's not really unreasonable. The Germans and Dutch are fond of this type of training they call it "total football"

191980[/snapback]

I think newcastle has versatile players.. problem is that the goal scoring-versatile is not up to mark.