Crocodile hunter Steve Irwin dead.

catmag

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame like.

Feel sorry for his family and fans like.

What a cliche`d death though

192115[/snapback]

I think it's a very rare way to die.

192120[/snapback]

They were saying on the radio this morning that he's only the third person on record to die in such a way...

Shame like.

192115[/snapback]

192120[/snapback]

They were saying on the radio this morning that he's only the third person on record to die in such a way...

192259[/snapback]

Considering his numerous encounters with poisonous snakes, crocodiles etc, it's a hugely ironic way to die.

192259[/snapback]

I was wondering if there was a case for putting some sort of light metal plate at the front of wetsuits, that pretty much answers it.

No one seems to have a bad word to say about him, and the general consensus is that he was a sound bloke who did a lot of good.  Can't ask for much more than that when you go, can you?

RIP.

192262[/snapback]

I think his enthusiasm and passion for his love of the animals he dealt with gave the impression to some that he was somewhat of a maverick and blazé.

The conservation and awareness of a great deal of Australia's wildlife owe a debt to this man. When you consider he was known world-wide, it shows the amount of respect people had for him.

192259[/snapback]

I was wondering if there was a case for putting some sort of light metal plate at the front of wetsuits, that pretty much answers it.

192268[/snapback]

He was probably diving in his shorts short sleeved shirt and boots anyway.

Aye, sad sad news this morning when I heard this. Went out of my way to watch most of his stuff. Off beat perhaps, buy not only knowledgable but done tons of work for various wildlife organisations and for nature all round.

Terrible that his wife was so far away when the news broke, more so taht its splattered all over the news before she even heard herself. His wife also played a big role in his activity and I'd wonder if she would carry it on for his sake.

I swam with (smaller) rays and was told some places remove the barb and the larger ones do have a poisonous sting though due to their nature its not usually a threat.

This things barb went into his chest, awful accident. Dead with his crew before the helecopter arrived I think.

Awful.

From Wikipedia:

On 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb, while off the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland, Australia while filming a segment for his daughter Bindi Irwin's (8 years old at the time) upcoming series. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for his daughter's program. The BBC reported that this was only the second known fatality in Australian history from a stingray attack. The Sydney Morning Herald lists it as the third known death; the other two deaths being in 1938 and 1945.

Shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time (01:00 UTC), Irwin was filming in the Low Isles, Queensland near Port Douglas, north of Cairns, Queensland, Australia, where he was stung either through his heart or through the left side of his chest. After he was stung, his crew called for medical help and attempted to resuscitate him. The Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded, taking him to Cairns Base Hospital. However, Irwin was pronounced dead at noon. He was not killed by the sting itself but from a puncture to the heart in turn causing cardiac arrest. The Queensland Police Service notified his family and released a statement for the media concerning the event.

News of his death prompted a public outpouring expressing shock and loss. Several Australian news websites went down due to high web traffic and talk-back radio experienced a high volume of callers expressing their grief, commemorating his passion and exuberance. Prime Minister John Howard, among many other politicians, expressed his "shock and distress" at the death, saying that "Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son.”

Steve Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns, where stunned family and friends were gathering on Monday night.

His American-born wife Terri was told of her husband's death while on a walking tour in Tasmania, and returned to the Sunshine Coast with her two children, Bindi (eight) and two-year-old son Bob.

Shame like.

192115[/snapback]

192120[/snapback]

192259[/snapback]

:lol:

I assume you mean deaths through being pierced through the heart? Plenty of people have died from stingray attacks.

EDIT: A five minute google search has found 9 reported deaths by stingrays.

Shame like.

192115[/snapback]

192120[/snapback]

192259[/snapback]

I assume you mean deaths through being pierced through the heart? Plenty of people have died from stingray attacks.

192390[/snapback]

Isn't that how Christopher Lee died?

Shame like.

192115[/snapback]

192120[/snapback]

192259[/snapback]

192390[/snapback]

192392[/snapback]

Fuck

Is Christopher Lee dead?

Fuck :lol:

Shame like.

192115[/snapback]

192120[/snapback]

192259[/snapback]

192390[/snapback]

192392[/snapback]

Fuck

Is Christopher Lee dead?

Fuck :lol:

192396[/snapback]

There you go, ObaGol. Another victim to patronize and take the piss out of...! :yes

No offence Keith, I'm not one to talk, appartently...!

Dracula wept!

192402[/snapback]

You'll have the Romanians around - they think he's GREAT - sound on Torks and the causes of Torks

"much maligned and mis-understood"