If only Tony Blair had any balls to say this...

Geordie Boyo

While I agree on what he says here, despite how he says it's an interesting opinion from a country that treats its original inhabitants so appallingly.

http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13924046

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on

Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state and its laws were

made by parliament.

"If those are not your values, if you want a

country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia

is not for you," he said on national television. "I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one

the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false.

If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another

country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option,"

Costello said. Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be

forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off". "Basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off," he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take it or eave

It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending

some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we

have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the

'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility

that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration,

nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by

coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have

recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to

understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community

has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As

Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own

language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over two

centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and

women who have sought freedom.

We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish,

Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.

Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the

language!

Most Australians believe in God. This is not some

Christian, right wing, political push but a fact because Christian men and

women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly

documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls

of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider

another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our

culture.

We will accept your beliefs and will not question why, all we ask is

that you accept ours and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with

us. If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go",

then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.We

are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we

really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means keep your culture but do not force it on others.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'. If you aren't happy here then LEAVE.

We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept

the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really, when you think about

it. I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends (and

enemies) it will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try,

please."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree on what he says here, despite how he says it's an interesting opinion from a country that treats its original inhabitants so appallingly.

http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13924046

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on

Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown.

Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state and its laws were

made by parliament.

"If those are not your values, if you want a

country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia

is not for you," he said on national television. "I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia, one

the Australian law and another the Islamic law, that is false.

If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another

country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option,"

Costello said. Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be

forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off". "Basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off," he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take it or eave

It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending

some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we

have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the

'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility

that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration,

nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by

coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have

recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to

understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community

has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As

Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own

language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over two

centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and

women who have sought freedom.

We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish,

Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.

Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the

language!

Most Australians believe in God. This is not some

Christian, right wing, political push but a fact because Christian men and

women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly

documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls

of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider

another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our

culture.

We will accept your beliefs and will not question why, all we ask is

that you accept ours and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with

us. If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go",

then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.We

are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we

really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means keep your culture but do not force it on others.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'. If you aren't happy here then LEAVE.

We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept

the country YOU accepted. Pretty easy really, when you think about

it. I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends (and

enemies) it will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try,

please."

192136[/snapback]

I support his comments.

Agree in the main but I don't see the need for christian symbolism in state schools - I prefer to follow the French model in that regard. And I bet the majority of Australians are not christians in any meaningful way.

I don't really see there being anyway of dealing with the current religious and political disparities between modern western culture and fundamentalist Islamic cultures to make the situation work realistically or pragmatically. It would be nice though if our prime minister did show a little bit of patriotism and say what should be said instead of being afraid to offend certain religions who have no intention of adapting.

Great Britian stopped being Great Britian a long time ago.

Its a new country with the same name and we cant go back like the Ozzies.

Weve made our bed and now we have to sleep in it.

PC rules us now :blink:

I don't really see there being anyway of dealing with the current religious and political disparities between modern western culture and fundamentalist Islamic cultures to make the situation work realistically or pragmatically. It would be nice though if our prime minister did show a little bit of patriotism and say what should be said instead of being afraid to offend certain religions who have no intention of adapting.

192166[/snapback]

I don't think it's about patriotism, religions should simply stop being protected. Any infringement on human rights, for whatever reason should be illiegal, and chased down in whatever country they exist.

I don't remember white australians comforming to "local values " when they arrived to steal the country..................................

192200[/snapback]

To be fair, I think that was us.

192170[/snapback]

How "Great" can it be when its inhabitants can't even spell Britain?

192166[/snapback]

I don't think it's about patriotism, religions should simply stop being protected. Any infringement on human rights, for whatever reason should be illiegal, and chased down in whatever country they exist.

192174[/snapback]

There's nothing wrong in showing patriotism. You'd like to see that in every country you'd visit all though sadly it doesn't exist here.

As far as infringement on human rights what's this article got to do with that? Lets not drift off to something else and turn this into a 40 odd page thread, he's talking about his country's identity (yeah I know, Australia...!) where a religious law is being pushed on society and there way of life.

If it takes a bit of patriotism to get that message across then I don't see anything wrong with that at all. It's the PC attitude in being afraid to offend these people and risk of fewer votes that stands in the way. I think if your going to be prime minister you should stand up for your society’s way of life and law, does that sound so bad? Or better yet, did I offend anyone...! :blink:

192170[/snapback]

How "Great" can it be when its inhabitants can't even spell Britain?

192207[/snapback]

Its early.

Im hungover.

Go away

There's nothing wrong in showing patriotism. You'd like to see that in every country you'd visit all though sadly it doesn't exist here.

As far as infringement on human rights what's this article got to do with that? Lets not drift off to something else and turn this into a 40 odd page thread, he's talking about his country's identity (yeah I know, Australia...!) where a religious law is being pushed on society and there way of life.

If it takes a bit of patriotism to get that message across then I don't see anything wrong with that at all. It's the PC attitude in being afraid to offend these people and risk of fewer votes that stands in the way. I think if your going to be prime minister you should stand up for your society’s way of life and law, does that sound so bad? Or better yet, did I offend anyone...!  :blink:

192213[/snapback]

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick, and you seem to be opening a can of worms that could lead to a 40 page thread, so I'll say nothing to help that cause. :blink:

Patriotism often leads to nationalism and jingoism tbh. I like many aspects of my country but I don't feel proud to be British, anymore than I'm proud to have blue eyes. It's an accident of birth after all.

But that's an entirely gifferent matter from the crux of the article - the failure of muslims to integrate into western secular societies. If they can't or won't they can fuck off as far as I am concerned.

Patriotism often leads to nationalism and jingoism tbh. I like many aspects of my country but I don't feel proud to be British, anymore than I'm proud to have blue eyes. It's an accident of birth after all.

192255[/snapback]

The 40 pager we're trying to avoid. :blink:

My mam (a Daily Mail reader) is adamant that a young lassie was raped in Gateshead, and the bloke that did it was relocated by the authorities on the grounds that he wasn't used to seeing girls in the sort of states of undress that they go about in.

Her source: Tommy the plumber. :blink: