Gallas

Ally

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/5314292.stm

Chelsea say they sold William Gallas because he threatened to score an own goal if he was selected for their first game of the season.

The Stamford Bridge club have released a statement explaining their reasons for allowing the French defender to join Arsenal on transfer deadline day.

Gallas, 29, allegedly refused to play again for the Blues.

Chelsea claim he said he would score an own goal if he was forced to play against Manchester City on 20 August.

The statement says Cole initially refused to play against Liverpool in last season's FA Cup semi-final and how, if selected to play against City he threatened to score an own goal, get sent off or make deliberate mistakes.

Gallas was heavily criticised by Blues boss Jose Mourinho earlier in the summer when he failed to report for pre-season training on Chelsea' pre-season tour of America.

The full club statmement read: "Chelsea believes it is important for our supporters to be made aware of the full facts regarding William Gallas and the lack of respect he showed to the fans, the manager and the club.

"Despite leaving he continues to attack José Mourinho and this cannot be left unchallenged.

"Chelsea made William Gallas a very substantial and attractive new contract offer to stay towards the end of last season. This was rejected.

"The issue was purely one of money, despite his public comments that he wanted a new challenge, to play abroad and so forth. These were just a smokescreen to cover up the fact he was hawking himself to the highest bidder.

"Having failed to secure his demands, his position became increasingly intransigent and unacceptable.

"He initially refused to play against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final last season in an effort to force an increased contract offer.

"As is now well documented he refused to join up with the team in Los Angeles during pre-season, despite agreeing the dates for his return as the other World Cup players did, with the club.

"When Jose Mourinho generously offered him a way back into the 'family' after the American tour, this was thrown back in the Chelsea manager's face.

"The manager told him that, even if he did not agree a new contract but returned to the "family" and abided by the rules, he would still select the best players available and would not punish him playing wise.

"However despite meetings to try and resolve the problems Gallas made it clear to Jose Mourinho he would never play for Chelsea again.

"Before the first game of the season against Manchester City, when only four defenders were available and John Terry was doubtful with an injury, he refused to play.

"He went on to threaten that if he was forced to play, or if he was disciplined and financially punished for his breach of the rules, that he could score an own goal or get himself sent off, or make deliberate mistakes.

"Clearly this was a totally unacceptable situation for the manager, the team and the club. So a collectively agreed solution in Chelsea's interests had to be found, hence his departure.

"Chelsea has a wage structure in place that is valued not only on the contribution of the player to the manager and the team, but also on a player?s respect for the club and contribution to the promotion and image of the club off the field. Every player is expected to play their part in this.

"William Gallas rarely recognised these responsibilities. He also failed to recognise the role Jose Mourinho and Chelsea played in helping him become a double Premiership champion for a player whose only league title prior to that had been in the French Second Division."

Fucking bellend, did he stamp his feet and pout as well?

192709[/snapback]

I, for one, don't believe a bastard word of it.

192716[/snapback]

Well, Chelsea would be in serious trouble releasing a libellous statement like this without any truth in it. I guess they have backed up their claims very well when they go into public in this style. It also does explain certain remarks from Mourinho ("rather rot in reserves than sell him", "he should hold a press conference and tell everybody the truth" etc.)

I think Chelsea should have frozen his wages for the reminder of his contract and make him training with the women team (providing Chelsea have one).

You can't always believe everything you hear, least of all from Chelski, but these days if its about a player behaving like a complete cock, spoilt bastard and showing contempt for the fans and people who pay him, then i'm inclined to believe its true or close to the truth!

I think Chelsea are wrong to make something like this public knowledge. As Isegrim points out, unless they have water-tight proof of this, they are wide open for a libel case being thrown in their direction.

Even if they can prove it, it's petulent beyond belief. Surely it would have been far better for them to draw a line under the whole Cole/Gallas saga and just let it lie. I think it's bad for their image however this turns out.

For what it's worth, I think the comments probably were said but more than likely in the heat of the moment and without any desire to actually carry it out. Making a threat is one thing, carrying it out is quite another. Gallas is a model professional and I seriously doubt he would ever actually enter the field of play without the intention of giving 100% to the cause of his team.

We all know that Gallas and Chelsea fell out, so a comment like this being made is hardly surprising, the fact that it's been made public certain is!!

You can't always believe everything you hear, least of all from Chelski, but these days if its about a player behaving like a complete cock, spoilt bastard and showing contempt for the fans and people who pay him, then i'm inclined to believe its true or close to the truth!

192719[/snapback]

Of course, you do have to be sceptical about everything a club comes out with (and who better should know than Newcastle fans), but this story is so far fetched and has "libel case" written all over it that I cannot believe a club would release a fake statement in this proportion without being seriously warned by their legal team.

Then again, Chelsea are in a position to not even worry about the costs of a libel case really are they?

I think it's a petty and pointless release by Chelsea.

Then again, Chelsea are in a position to not even worry about the costs of a libel case really are they?

I think it's a petty and pointless release by Chelsea.

192724[/snapback]

I have no second left for Chelsea, but even I can't see them having such low moral standards to deliberately walk into a false libel case. And I am not sure if it is that petty, although it is probably pointless, but if only half of this what is said in the statement is true, and the Gallas saga was going on for several weeks and Gallas is going on even after getting his wish then I can at least understand them in fighting back. They kept more or less quiet all the time, but sometimes there is a point when enough is enough. As I said before, the statement at least explains a couple of subtle remarks by Chelsea in recent weeks.

I actually also think that it is right in making those shanigans public, as it is another sign of player power that has to get stopped. That's why I was also happy that ManUre didn't get their wish to sign Hargreaves (after allegedly tapping him up) and Chelsea and Arseley Cole getting fined after the tap up saga last year.

Firstly William Gallas was taken on before the Abramovich's millions went into CHelsea and didn't have a great contract. Since then he has never had a pay rise and saw all around him getting way more than he does. I believe he was the lowest paid member of the first team squad. He asked for new contracts and was blanked on several occasions. That is why he moved and if I was in the same position so would I.

Secondly Chelsea have said they released this statement because of the constant attacks by Gallas on Mourinho in the press. What attacks I haven't read one interview with him slagging off Gallas.

I think Mourinho is losing the plot and is getting a serious god complex. Obviously going against him is blasphemy which should result in eternal damnation.

The thing I keep asking myself is "why have Chelsea chosen to air this in public?"

They could have brought about a private prosecution if they felt that strongly about it. Bringing it into the public eye, whether they're right or wrong is just bringing more press attention which they probably don't want or need.

I just can't understand it. The fans knew he was unhappy at the club, he got his transfer and it should have ended there with Chelsea drawing a line under it. This smacks of sour grapes to me..

Gallas has made a statement saying he never threatened to do this and he said if they/Chelsea want to make stories up let them get on with it, They Are Classless

French defender William Gallas has accused Chelsea of 'hiding behind false accusations' after being stunned by his former club's claim that he threatened to score an own goal.

Gallas, who joined Arsenal on deadline day in a cash-plus-player deal that saw England left-back Ashley Cole move in the opposite direction, denied making the threat and said the Barclays Premiership champions 'lacked class'.

Firstly William Gallas was taken on before the Abramovich's millions went into CHelsea and didn't have a great contract. Since then he has never had a pay rise and saw all around him getting way more than he does. I believe he was the lowest paid member of the first team squad. He asked for new contracts and was blanked on several occasions. That is why he moved and if I was in the same position so would I.

192777[/snapback]

Apparently he was on sixty thousand quid a week less than John Terry. Considering he is a better player I think he had every right to be pissed off

To be honest, whether or not the allegations are true I agree with Gallas in so much as Chelsea are classless to drag something like this up after he has already left.

I think it's just part of the "nobody likes us and we don't care" siege mentality that Mourinho has been cultivating since he arrived in England. This certainly isn't going to win them any new friends.

"When Jose Mourinho generously offered him a way back into the 'family' after the American tour, this was thrown back in the Chelsea manager's face.

"The manager told him that, even if he did not agree a new contract but returned to the "family" and abided by the rules, he would still select the best players available and would not punish him playing wise.

192699[/snapback]

:lol:

Chelsea so bitter about losing their best defender...

192899[/snapback]

Whilst I agree about him being class, do you not get the feeling Mourinho rated Carvalho and Terry better as centre-backs? Gallas would be my first choice though.

192899[/snapback]

Whilst I agree about him being class, do you not get the feeling Mourinho rated Carvalho and Terry better as centre-backs? Gallas would be my first choice though.

192906[/snapback]

Or he rated Gallas over Bridge, Del horno ?

192899[/snapback]

192906[/snapback]

Well obviously he did, doesn't make him right though. Carvalho is very shaky and never seems to want to let go of striker's shirts.

Chelsea complaining he refused to play.

ESSIEN ESSIEN ESSIEN ESSIEN ESSIEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

193484[/snapback]

:good: Good point.

193589[/snapback]

Not sure I know what you mean....did I miss a story?

Essien on strike after Lyon block move

Evening Standard (London),  Aug 5, 2005 

MICHAEL ESSIEN has vowed never to play for Lyon again in protest at the French club's refusal to allow his transfer to Chelsea.

Lyon, managed by former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier, have turned down two offers for the 22-year-old Ghana midfielder.

But Essien is determined to secure a passage out of France and insists he is only interested in playing for the Premiership champions.

Essien said: "I am totally disappointed about what is happening and I feel very let down by Lyon. I cannot understand why they are acting this way.

"The club know what I want, they know I want to leave and I have kept them informed at every stage, but they are behaving very badly.

"I have made it clear to them that I will not play for them again. From now on I am training with the junior players and I will not take part in any first-team matches.

"Chelsea are the only team I wish to play for. I have heard the Lyon president saying other clubs from the English Premiership are interested in signing me, including Arsenal and Manchester United, but I have no desire to play for anyone else other than Chelsea.

Edited by Sima