Soham killer found after overdose

Craig

Soham killer Ian Huntley has been found unconscious in his cell at Wakefield Prison after taking a suspected overdose, the Prison Service has said.

He was discovered in the early hours of Tuesday morning and prison staff resuscitated him, a spokeswoman said.

The killer, who has taken an overdose before, is now under heavy sedation at an unnamed hospital, she added.

Huntley, 32, received two life terms for the 2002 murders of Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells in Soham, Cambs.

While awaiting trial for the murder of the two 10-year-old schoolgirls, he saved up 29 anti-depressant pills in a box of teabags and was found suffering a fit on the floor of his cell at Woodhill Prison, near Milton Keynes.

An official report into the previous suicide attempt uncovered a number of "serious systems failures".

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5314944.stm

Do NOT let this murdering bastard take the easy route out like Shipman did! :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let him kill himself.

My cousin commited suicide and tbh I've never got the idea of it being 'the easy way out'.

The alternative to him killing himself is providing him with a roof, bed, food and various forms of entertainment at the taxpayers expense for the next 30 yrs(?). Whats easier?

Would you support the death penalty for cases like this? Whats the real difference if he's dead in the end?

Sad sentiments in this thread tbh. What he did was wicked beyond comprehension but lets at least try and be civilised in the aftermath. If he wants to take his own life then I'd give him his dignity and let him do it tbh.

Sad sentiments in this thread tbh. What he did was wicked beyond comprehension but lets at least try and be civilised in the aftermath. If he wants to take his own life then I'd give him his dignity and let him do it tbh.

192835[/snapback]

That's what I reckon. If he satisfies a detailed psychiatric report and still wants to die, give him a lethal injection and do it humanely, like we should be doing for people with degenerative terminal illnesses. He has no chance of parole so perhaps there is no point in him living with what he has done tbh.

192835[/snapback]

That's what I reckon. If he satisfies a detailed psychiatric report and still wants to die, give him a lethal injection and do it humanely, like we should be doing for people with degenerative terminal illnesses. He has no chance of parole so perhaps there is no point in him living with what he has done tbh.

192840[/snapback]

Totally agree with you, but I love the way you've managed to sneak in an opener for a potential euthanasia debate. :lol:

Man after my own heart tbs tbs.

192835[/snapback]

192840[/snapback]

Totally agree with you, but I love the way you've managed to sneak in an opener for a potential euthanasia debate. :lol:

Man after my own heart tbs tbs.

192842[/snapback]

Aye....I felt like I was having a few extra words shoved in my mouth there! :lol:

192835[/snapback]

tell that to the bairns family. They lost far more than their dignity, and they were not given a choice by the murdering scum.

192835[/snapback]

tell that to the bairns family. They lost far more than their dignity, and they were not given a choice by the murdering scum.

192846[/snapback]

What's done is done - NOTHING can change that unfortunately. It doesn't really matter what happens to Huntley now, it won't make them feel any better.

192835[/snapback]

192846[/snapback]

Serious question, what good would killing Huntley in a vengeful, painful way do them?

Also, even if they wanted this, do you think that victims of crime (or their relatives) should decide the punishment for crimes comitted against them?

Oh oh...............  :lol:  :lol:  :yes  :)  :angry:  :D

here we go..................................

192850[/snapback]

As long as Leazes doesn't show up, it could actually make for a (reasonably) intelligent debate though.

192835[/snapback]

192846[/snapback]

If we want to 'equalise' the situation, we could sexually abuse him, murder him in a bath and bury him in a shallow grave.

In my opinion, the hallmark of a civilised socitey is how we deal with these horrific crimes. By giving him his dignity then I think we can look at ourselves and say we've done the right thing because we're not descending to the level (or approaching the level) of the criminal. By saying he should be allowed to die but made to suffer in the process is (frankly) sadistic and I wouldnt want that in my name.

PS I think the views of the victims families are important, but the point is if it had been my kids I would possibly have wanted the murderer hung drawn and quartered at some point depending on the range of my emotions and reactions. Hopefully everyone agrees that that simply shouldnt be allowed to happen.

192835[/snapback]

192846[/snapback]

Serious question, what good would killing Huntley in a vengeful, painful way do them?

Also, even if they wanted this, do you think that victims of crime (or their relatives) should decide the punishment for crimes comitted against them?

192848[/snapback]

I cannot give an answer to the first part as touch wood it was not my family. I would want them to suffer a slow and horrible death. Yes I would be willing and able to do it.

The second part yes I believe that they should have the right to ask for death, but I do not believe they should have the right to let people off (out of custody)

192835[/snapback]

192846[/snapback]

192848[/snapback]

I cannot give an answer to the first part as touch wood it was not my family. I would want them to suffer a slow and horrible death. Yes I would be willing and able to do it.

The second part yes I believe that they should have the right to ask for death, but I do not believe they should have the right to let people off (out of custody)

192857[/snapback]

You think victims of crimes are in the best position to decide the punishment? Couldn't disagree more - Mancmag does a pretty good job of explaining the reasons. You can't just take certain bits of living in a civilised society and reject others - it's all or nothing. There's a reason the legal system has developed in this and other western countries the way it has and in my opinion there is no better system anywhere else.

192835[/snapback]

192846[/snapback]

192848[/snapback]

192857[/snapback]

Can you see how society doesn't work like that though and how it's a stone's throw from vigilante-led anarchy? I have no scrap of sympathy for Huntley btw, no one in their right mind does but I really think that the governemt / legal system has to decide these things. People who are victims of crimes (which includes relatives etc. in many cases) are too close to the events to be dispassionate in my opinion.

While I don't agree with the death penalty, so we can't force someone to die for their crimes, I think it would probably be a better scenario if, having been brought to justice, someone was able to kill themselves.

However, there is a possibility that the family could feel cheated. If Huntley had killed himself before being tried for these murders, would the families of the girls not have been robbed of some sort of justice? However, being proved guilty in court should be enough in my opinion. If the murderer then wants to take his life, having had to come to terms with what he'd done, then that would probably be acceptable in my book.

I don't agree with officially sanctioning prisoner suicide. I think there is a duty of care in general to those imprisoned. I know that sounds a bit extreme in the case of someone like Huntley but I don't think you should make laws based on individual cases either. Also, where would you draw the line and how could you make proper mental assessments of somone who wants to kill themselves and then allow it?

Were Huntley to kill himself though, I would say good riddance.

I don't agree with officially sanctioning prisoner suicide. I think there is a duty of care in general to those imprisoned. I know that sounds a bit extreme in the case of someone like Huntley but I don't think you should make laws based on individual cases either. Also, where would you draw the line and how could you make proper mental assessments of somone who wants to kill themselves and then allow it?

192872[/snapback]

Agree with that tbf. There is a duty of care and its right that there should be, though what exactly this should be is another matter.

Prisoners are deprived of their liberty and certain choices but I think they should still be treated like adults apart from that. You wouldnt necessarily say you had a right to stop an adult at their liberty from taking their life. You might try to intervene on the level that say the samaritans do and offer that sort of assistance-but as for more intrusive methods then its highly questionable whether thats right.

At the same time I dont agree that a prisoner in Huntley's position should be given assisted suicide.

All of the above is based on the presumption the prisoner has their full mental faculties btw. I accept their are other species of prisoner where the duty of care has to be entirely different.

192872[/snapback]

Agree with that tbf. There is a duty of care and its right that there should be, though what exactly this should be is another matter.

Prisoners are deprived of their liberty and certain choices but I think they should still be treated like adults apart from that. You wouldnt necessarily say you had a right to stop an adult at their liberty from taking their life. You might try to intervene on the level that say the samaritans do and offer that sort of assistance-but as for more intrusive methods then its highly questionable whether thats right.

At the same time I dont agree that a prisoner in Huntley's position should be given assisted suicide.

All of the above is based on the presumption the prisoner has their full mental faculties btw. I accept their are other species of prisoner where the duty of care has to be entirely different.

192884[/snapback]

I don't agree with assisted suicide in these case either tbh. I was trying to drum up some controversy other than how you wipe your arse. :lol:

192872[/snapback]

192884[/snapback]

I don't agree with assisted suicide in these case either tbh. I was trying to drum up some controversy other than how you wipe your arse. :lol:

192891[/snapback]

:lol:

Prisoners definitely shouldnt be allowed andrex or any quilted bumwad. I'll say that much. Tracing paper tbh....if it's good enough for schools.

Only B&W tellies too and they should only have 1st generation games consoles.

192897[/snapback]

And I had you down as a liberal. :lol:

192901[/snapback]

I thought you had me down as a Nazi.