Rossi: I may be here all season

Craig

Giuseppe Rossi has still not kicked a ball for Newcastle United since agreeing to a four-month loan deal - but the Italian Under-21 international has already hinted he could extend his stay at St James's Park.

Rossi has joined from Manchester United until January after Magpies manager Glenn Roeder managed to persuade a reluctant Sir Alex Ferguson to part with his exciting prospect.

And while the Red Devils boss has only allowed the 19-year-old to leave for four months because he does not want to be without him for the entire season following the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid, Rossi has suggested the arrangement could be extended before Christmas.

The fact Ferguson is so keen to have the American-born striker back at Old Trafford illustrates how highly rated he is but Newcastle will want to see how ready he is for regular first-team football before they put pressure on the Scot to allow him to stay in the North-East.

"It was decided that it would help me and Newcastle if I was to go there on loan and this was the best solution for me," said Rossi, who is on international duty with the Italian Under-21 side for tonight's home European Championship qualifier against Austria and has still not trained on Tyneside.

"I will have more opportunities to play with Newcastle. No Italian clubs came in for me but I preferred to stay in England because I am settled and I know the style of football. I like being in England.

"I will not be able to play against Manchester United because that is the rule. I know I will definitely be a Newcastle player until January but we will look at it again before then and decide whether I will stay for the whole season."

Rossi is perhaps not the big- name striker supporters had wanted to replace the retired Alan Shearer but in difficult circumstances - United missed out on Darren Bent, Dirk Kuyt, Miroslav Klose and Mark Viduka in the summer - his arrival is still a shrewd piece of business.

The teenager is widely regarded as one of the most exciting young strikers in Europe and a record of 26 goals in 25 appearances for Manchester United's title-winning reserve side last season is impressive. Indeed, while the former Parma prospect has only started six first team games at Old Trafford, he has still scored four goals.

There are those who feel the Magpies should not be loaned players from clubs who, during Sir Bobby Robson's reign three years ago, they were competing with at the top of the Premiership. But that should not count against Rossi. If the youngster is as good as those at Old Trafford think he is and, providing he performs in a black-and-white shirt, Roeder is likely to push for an extension to the loan agreement.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's £10m man Obafemi Martins is confident he will score goals this season, whoever partners him up front.

The 21-year-old is still recovering from the dead leg which cut short his debut at Aston Villa nine days ago but the injury should not prevent him making his home debut against Fulham on Saturday. He said: "No matter who my partner was at Inter Milan, I seemed to have a good understanding with them and played well. Whoever my partner is at Newcastle I hope to do the same."

He added: "I am still confident everything is going to be okay. I am still very excited about being a Newcastle player."

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

From the way Rossi is speaking - "I will have more opportunities to play with Newcastle." it sounds to me like he may be expecting to be a bit of a regular - I know we don't have the strongest squad but don't ManU only have Saha Solskjaer and Rooney at the moment?

I'd start him on Saturday.

193319[/snapback]

Agreed, I think we've got a real coup in signing this lad, the sooner he's made to feel at home the better !

From the way Rossi is speaking - "I will have more opportunities to play with Newcastle." it sounds to me like he may be expecting to be a bit of a regular - I know we don't have the strongest squad but don't ManU only have Saha Solskjaer and Rooney at the moment?

193185[/snapback]

Smith as well.

One of those players who just doesn't look right in B & W.

194089[/snapback]

Most of the Juventus squad suddenly came to the same opinion during the summer too.

Just regarding Martins' "injury" Ive had it on good authority that he didnt have a dead leg at all and that it was simply cramp. The club were that embarassed that he succumbed to cramp after an hour and looking in such pain after they'd talked about his strength meant that they came up with the dead leg story. He just went down with no contact - does anyone know if you can get a dead leg without being knocked?