Our popularity

Barney

REDS WIN NEW FRIENDS AMONGST RIVALS

Paul Rogers 04 September 2006 

Liverpool were today unveiled as England's most popular team amongst rival fans in a poll conducted by a national men's magazine. 

Weekly magazine Nuts commissioned the poll to try and find out who the country's football fans considered their second favourite club behind their own team.

The results made interesting reading with 15% of all those asked revealing Liverpool would be their 'second' team or the club they'd most like to achieve success after their own side.

Liverpool topped the pool by a clear 5% with West Ham United and Wigan coming in second and third respectively. Aston Villa finished bottom of the Premiership popularity table with Arsenal and Chelsea completing the relegation places.

"Liverpool have provided a huge amount of entertainment, over the last year or so starting with the Champions League win and culminating in the stunning Steven Gerrard goal in the FA Cup Final," explains Gershon Portnoi, the Nuts Sports Editor.

"I think The Toon's popularity may have taken a dip during Graeme Souness' time at the helm. It's great to see Wigan and West Ham up there. Everyone loves an underdog and they certainly entertained and gave many of the bigger clubs a scare last season."

The Premiership Popularity Table in full

1. Liverpool: 15%

2. West Ham: 10%

3. Wigan: 9%

4. Newcastle: 8.5%

5. Tottenham Hotspur: 7%

6. Bolton: 7%

7. Charlton: 6%

8. Manchester United: 6%

9. Portsmouth: 5%

10. Manchester City: 4%

11. Watford: 3.5%

12. Reading: 3.5%

13. Everton: 3%

14. Fulham: 3%

15. Blackburn 3%

16. Sheffield United: 2.5%

17. Middlesbrough: 2.5%

18. Chelsea: 2%

19. Arsenal: 1.5%

20. Aston Villa: 1%

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...060904-1515.htm

Edited by Barney

West Ham are pretty high to be fair.

Arsenal play some gorgeous football, I think Wenger pissed a lot of people off over the years with the whole "not seeing anything" problem. Also, Henry's actions after the Champs League final and in the World Cup left a sour taste.

Get in 4th place what a result. Its all down to Fred tbh, the mans made us what we are today.

I for one salute you Freddy, getting us up to 4th in the table is a major miracle.

I remember the days of the McKeag era when they didnt even have popularity tables thats how badly he ran the club.

Get in 4th place what a result. Its all down to Fred tbh, the mans made us what we are today.

I for one salute you Freddy, getting us up to 4th in the table is a major miracle.

I remember the days of the McKeag era when they didnt even have popularity tables thats how badly he ran the club.

193340[/snapback]

:lol:

Why does it add up to 103%?

193294[/snapback]

You were sad enough to add it up? :good:

Needless to say, with Liverpool being top I'm chuffed. :D

193306[/snapback]

:angry: I just kind of spaced; got to stop doing that.

I quite like the Hammers. Just about the only London club I don't dislike.

193632[/snapback]

Same here, I don't mind Arsenal either. I absolutely detest Spurs though.

193725[/snapback]

Agree, but I now hate Chelsea too.