Newcastle United v West Ham United

Hughesie

St James' Park

Saturday, 20 August

Kick-off: 1500 BST

BBC Radio Five Live

Newcastle have been dealt a double injury blow with Kieron Dyer (back) and Emre (hamstring) missing.

Craig Moore (hamstring), Shola Ameobi (suspension), Titus Bramble (fractured elbow) and Michael Chopra (knee ligaments) are also out.

West Ham goalkeeper Roy Carroll should be fit despite aggravating his back.

Centre-back James Collins (calf) is still out but left-back Clive Clarke has shaken off an ankle injury and will travel with the squad.

Teams:

Newcastle (from): Given, Harper, Carr, Babayaro, Elliott, Boumsong, Taylor, Ramage, Parker, Bowyer, Jenas, Milner, N'Zogbia, Faye, Brittain, Shearer.

West Ham (from): Carroll, Hislop, Etherington, Mullins, Gabbidon, Repka, Reo-Coker, Ward, Clarke, Dailly, Fletcher, Ferdinand, Harewood, Zamora, Konchesky, Sheringham, Noble, Benayoun, Williams, Newton.

We should beat this lot, all that's needed is to mark Teddy out of the game as Harewood can't hit a barn door.

They haven't strengthened much since promotion so even our squad of 16 (good god) can manage.

2-0 us, Shearer and Milner

We also need  to seriousally mark Nigel Reo-Coker aswell, after his stunner last week. We don't want that to happen against us.

3-1 - Shearer, Parker, Taylor

15476[/snapback]

Benayoun is one to watch as well.

Bloody Wet Sham :blink:

COME ON LADS THRASH THE BASTARDS :razz::nufc::nufc: (I dislike West Ham, always have)

Pathetic.

We despretly need a new striker bad.

15500[/snapback]

Pathetic is right - but a striker is only part of the story....Souness's mode of football is going to lose a lot of fans from this club.

Thank you I don't think, Fat Freddie. Souness is YOUR idea.

Gutted.

Was that Luque in the crowd?

15503[/snapback]

BBC Newcastle seemed to think that the Luque deal was a no go and in the Souness interview it carried he said that "We have tried for strikers, we were after Anelka and Luque....." he seemed to think that it was dead in the water. I think the interview was yesterday so things may have changed since then.

That was ghastly. I came away strongly thinking 3 things.

1. We DESPERATELY need a striker (preferably at least 2).

We just look so toothless. We are going to be in trouble if there aren't any brought in.

2. We DESPERATELY need to get rid of Souness. I believe he is one of the main reasons why we aren't getting anyone in. He has a reputation, and I think that is why players maybe aren't coming. However, if we get rid right now, how do we get anyone in? I don't know which is worse.

3. We need to get rid of Shepherd. This isn't as important in the short term, but in the long run it is. The man is a joke, an embarrassment and constantly promises us things but fails to deliver. And then embarrasses us even more by claiming we are serious contenders in bringing in players out of our reach. (Owen this year, Rooney last year). Now he is coming over all tough guy, 'we won't be mugs and pay over the odds for players', well, I'm sorry but the harsh reality is that is the lesser of two evils. Right now, I'd sooner we paid over the odds for a decent striker or two than suffer without. I will admit that I'm pissed off that it seems to be we always seem to get caught out and have to pay over the odds. Another reason for FF to go.

One slight amusement - Andy O'Brian apparently did what he was so good at up here - today with Portsmouth at WBA - he allowed a striker to get between him and another defender to score. If he had've been playing for us today, it would have been a WHU player doing it, not a WBA !

Edited by Phil K