NFL starts tonight

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I saw a college football game in Oklahoma back in 2004 and I really couldn't deal with it. It lasted, like, SIX THOUSAND HOURS.

194865[/snapback]

aye, I have real issues with American sports. I really like AmFootball and Baseball as a game, but can never watch one live. Whish they would just GET THE FUCK ON WITH IT!

it could kick ass it they did just get on with though

Anyone interested?

Nah.

Interesting thing about Football in America is that the Association Football rules VERY NEARLY became the standard Football code in the US.

In the 1860s, there was a club founded in Boston called Oneida Football Club, who played to rules which were prodominantly kicking and discouraged handling.

Most of the influential American Universities (Havard, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth) favoured the Association rules. The exception was Yale, who, favoured Rugby rules. Yale persuaded the others to adopt the Rugby rules, with a few modifications, which developed into Gridiron. Had they not been persuaded, then Association Football could have been the dominant Footballing Code in the US.

I used to follow American Football quite a bit. Used to play for a local junior team when I was a kid (ok I was mainly a reserve :drinks: ). I followed the New England Patriots since superbowl 20 sorry XX :razz: when they got thrashed off the Bears. Good to see them having a good run a couple off years ago.

I went to a pre-season game between Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers back when it was Dan Marino and Joe Montana playing for them (although they only played the first half with it being pre-season). It was an enjoyable spectacle but an 'hour long' game lasting three and a half hours gets a bit boring imo.