Martins is canny good

Gemmill

There's a bit of a difference between native spaniards/italians and an African who happened to play in Italy for a while.

195784[/snapback]

He has never really played somewhere else, so the difference is marginally tbh

195822[/snapback]

Nonsense. Look at the way the bloke is built. Without wanting to over-generalise, the majority of African footballers are ox-strong. I can count the exceptions on one hand.

:nono: There have to be very small oxes where you are from.

I really start to worry. The only really pacey thing he showed yesterday was how quick he can fall to the floor when being physically challenged.

I have to agree with Isegrim like. He does not look like the powerful player I thought he was supposed to be. As I keep saying, it's still very early days, but in physical battles so far to date I don't think I've seen him come off best once.

Possibly a confidence issue.

As a side note, we wouldn't expect Owen to win many either and i suspect they're similar types of player.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a bit of a difference between native spaniards/italians and an African who happened to play in Italy for a while.

195784[/snapback]

195822[/snapback]

Nonsense. Look at the way the bloke is built. Without wanting to over-generalise, the majority of African footballers are ox-strong. I can count the exceptions on one hand.

I really start to worry. The only really pacey thing he showed yesterday was how quick he can fall to the floor when being physically challenged.

I have to agree with Isegrim like. He does not look like the powerful player I thought he was supposed to be. As I keep saying, it's still very early days, but in physical battles so far to date I don't think I've seen him come off best once.

As a side note, we wouldn't expect Owen to win many either and i suspect they're similar types of player.

I don't know what confidence has to do with the ability to stay on your feet. But I agree it is still early days and that it didn't help the bloke that he got in with no pre-season and the pressure on him that he has to perfom immidately because of the lack of alternatives.

Not helping him either that Shola looked a bit like "old Shola" yesterday rather than the "new Shola" we've seen of late. Hope this isn't one of those where in 3 months time they'll be saying "he's been playing with that hip injury of his all season". No excuses from the club this time - that should have been sorted. Feel sorry for Shola if he's still carrying that two seasons later. They would never take the piss like that with someone like Owen.

195784[/snapback]

195822[/snapback]

I don't know what confidence has to do with the ability to stay on your feet. But I agree it is still early days and that it didn't help the bloke that he got in with no pre-season and the pressure on him that he has to perfom immidately because of the lack of alternatives.

I think you need confidence for any kind of physical confrontation. It might be that he's used to getting free kicks in Italy for similar situations and he's yet to learn that he won't do here.

As a club, our complete misunderstanding of the importance of pre-season with your new team is one of our biggest and oft repeated mistakes imo. It's like learning to fight in the ring rather learning some moves with the trainer first, it's very hard to learn how your team plays under match day pressure.

Shearer did tell him you had to have broad shoulders, but it doesn't look like to me that he's taken any notice, tbh. As people have said he is a strong lad there's absolutely no doubt about that, but I think playing in Serie A has taking its toll in regards to how easily he goes to ground. I think he's also a little bit taken back by the pace and how physical the English game is. As someone said it's going to take a bit of time for him to adjust, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.

As far as Shola goes, Christ, he's worked really hard to get fit when no one thought he would make this game, including the coaching staff yet he's been branded same old Shola. Give him a break...! :nono:

I hope Roeder & his coaching staff are working hard to put things right because we’ve got a couple of tough games coming up in the Premiership, including an important European game too on Thursday.

Nice to see we've given players time to settle, I can understand Roeders comments about only buying Premiership players now as if you don't hit the ground running you can't be good enough.

How many foreign players have came here and have been any good?

Funny like, cos I think pretty much everyone who's commented has said that it's very early days. We are still allowed first impressions, aren't we?

Agreed. It is early days, but there are serious causes for concern. Plus the transfer windows shut, so there is little we can do to strengthen the team until the new year.

I reckon we are seriously going to regret not getting a proven manager in. I know I sound like a stuck record, and again it is early days, but look how Villa have improved with largely the same players.

Funny like, cos I think pretty much everyone who's commented has said that it's very early days. We are still allowed first impressions, aren't we?

Agreed. It is early days, but there are serious causes for concern. Plus the transfer windows shut, so there is little we can do to strengthen the team until the new year.

I reckon we are seriously going to regret not getting a proven manager in. I know I sound like a stuck record, and again it is early days, but look how Villa have improved with largely the same players.

Yes still early days but Martins was abysmal just standing there waiting for the ball, when he did get it he just passed it on i only saw him do 1 run even allowing for settling in you have to wonder.

Lets hope Dyer comes back and manages to play more than a couple of games before going off injured again.

Two games we should have won easy have been thrown away we need to improve big time over the next few weeks or we will be in BIG trouble by Christmas.

Have to agree some of our transfer window signings havent set the world allight we must improve or come the next one nobody will want to come.

As for Roeder at least he seems to know what he`s doing just not getting the results at the moment. Forget Villa they are on a lucky streak one day it will come our way lets just hope its sooner rather than later.

Yes still early days but Martins was abysmal just standing there waiting for the ball, when he did get it he just passed it on i only saw him do 1 run even allowing for settling in you have to wonder.

Lets hope Dyer comes back and manages to play more than a couple of games before going off injured again.

Two games we should have won easy have been thrown away we need to improve big time over the next few weeks or we will be in BIG trouble by Christmas.

Have to agree some of our transfer window signings havent set the world allight we must improve or come the next one nobody will want to come.

As for Roeder at least he seems to know what he`s doing just not getting the results at the moment. Forget Villa they are on a lucky streak one day it will come our way lets just hope its sooner rather than later.

Why should Villa away be an easy fixture? Since when has it ever been, for that matter? That's also ignoring the fact they have done the sensible thing and brought in a proven manager, unlike us.

Roeder was NOT our manager last year, he was a caretaker, which is a completely different proposition. Nothing he has done since getting the job has impressed me, and now he is coming up with the same type of bullshit as Souness. For instance, he is quoted in the Sunday Sun today as saying Martins and Ameobi have already formed a brilliant patnership. Err, no, I don't think so - does anyone else see this?

There's no such thing as a lucky streak, everything happens for a reason. West Ham and Watford were relegated for a reason. And that reason is the manager at our club.

Guest Patrokles

Why should Villa away be an easy fixture? Since when has it ever been, for that matter? That's also ignoring the fact they have done the sensible thing and brought in a proven manager, unlike us.

Roeder was NOT our manager last year, he was a caretaker, which is a completely different proposition. Nothing he has done since getting the job has impressed me, and now he is coming up with the same type of bullshit as Souness. For instance, he is quoted in the Sunday Sun today as saying Martins and Ameobi have already formed a brilliant patnership. Err, no, I don't think so - does anyone else see this?

There's no such thing as a lucky streak, everything happens for a reason. West Ham and Watford were relegated for a reason. And that reason is the manager at our club.

Funny reading that considering you've written off every game Roeder's been in charge of the club except the most recent two.

Yesterday, Martins was absolutely abysmal.

Think about the fact that 2 years ago, we had Shearer and Bellamy, a top class partnership. We have spent THIRTY SEVEN MILLION QUID replacing them, and yesterday watched a completely fucked up and hopeless performance from our front players.

Think about the fact that 2 years ago, we had Shearer and Bellamy, a top class partnership. We have spent THIRTY SEVEN MILLION QUID replacing them, and yesterday watched a completely fucked up and hopeless performance from our front players.

Apparently Bellamy walked out of Mellwood Friday. Few comments from Lineker and Hansen on MOTD and some stirring up going on Liverpool forums. Wait and see with that one.

2002 we had as good a forward line as anyone.

Apparently Bellamy walked out of Mellwood Friday. Few comments from Lineker and Hansen on MOTD and some stirring up going on Liverpool forums. Wait and see with that one.

:nono: I hope so. He'll not be long for Liverpool if he acts like a brat. Maybe Leazes will get his wish and his boyfriend will come home. :aye:

Nice to see we've given players time to settle, I can understand Roeders comments about only buying Premiership players now as if you don't hit the ground running you can't be good enough.

I am probably the last one advocating to only sign Premiership players. Though, I have to say that I am also sceptical about overpaying for foreigners who struggle to adapt to the English game. IMHO for 10m we grossly overpaid for a highly rated but unproven reserve player from Italy. Yes, it is very early days and I do think that Martin's late purchase has not helped. He has not been given time to settle to the different style of play in England, neither had his team mates time to get used to his runs and style of play. But there are huge expectations on him. Not only because he is "Shearer's replacement" and his huge price tag but also because there is little else to hope for up front.

BTW - having watched Villa today I think that Angel for 1-2m would really had been a good investion. He at least would have given Newcastle really another option by his heading ability.

If you didn't know who Martins and N'Zogbia were before yesterday's game, you would have assumed Zog was the £10million man from Serie A and Martins was the cost-nothing kid.

He looked like the Lua-lua of old - a headless chicken.

I'm sure he'll come good, though... :nono:

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Well, we'll have him back then. I'll go down to Liverpool and drive him back up here myself.

I have been thinking the same for a canny while. Too many of the fuckers ruining the country is bad enough, but too many of them ruining the football club is just a step too far.

Its a damn shame we haven't got enough cover to handle Martins like Liverpool are handling Kuyt, Kuyt is being brought in gently, where as Martins has been dropped in firmly at the deep end:

Go on lad, here's the number nine shirt, you've just got 206 goals to go.

Its a damn shame we haven't got enough cover to handle Martins like Liverpool are handling Kuyt, Kuyt is being brought in gently, where as Martins has been dropped in firmly at the deep end:

That is exactly what I am about. Even West Ham have the possibilty to give Tevez time to adjust to the league because they have enough in form strikers. Martins probably would be really "canny good" if he was used at the moment as a sort of super sub you can throw in with his pace against tiring defences. But he is of absolutely no use how he is used at the moment. I haven't seen a lot of him in recent years (because I hate watching Italian football). And I don't care if he was once able to hold off Campbell. All I have seen so far is that in Mellberg and Knight two defenders had him absolutely in the pocket by dominating him physically.

That is exactly what I am about. Even West Ham have the possibilty to give Tevez time to adjust to the league because they have enough in form strikers. Martins probably would be really "canny good" if he was used at the moment as a sort of super sub you can throw in with his pace against tiring defences. But he is of absolutely no use how he is used at the moment. I haven't seen a lot of him in recent years (because I hate watching Italian football). And I don't care if he was once able to hold off Campbell. All I have seen so far is that in Mellberg and Knight two defenders had him absolutely in the pocket by dominating him physically.

yep, that is correct. It also makes you scratch your head and wonder why some people also think our bigger priority was defenders ....

One thing that also bothers me - and I say this even if he is successful - is that it is obvious that he is not a player who will play football in build up play, he is a penalty box player like Owen, Defoe etc. And so they will not play together in the same team when - or if - Owen is fit again, so what is going to happen then.

Tactical genius to play the ball to Martins' head more than his feet. After 10 minutes we should have figured he'd have to drop deeper to get the ball.

Our whole forward movement was a mess. Emre was too deep, Charlie had a shocker, Duff started brightly then disappeared completely. Martins kept turning into his man, when he's getting the ball he need to be facing goal. He had a poor game but the service was also dreadful for most of the game.