UH OH

Toonpack

I fear the worst

By DEREK BROWN

September 08, 2006

THE Premiership is facing a new bungs scandal after an undercover TV probe into illegal payments.

A football agent was secretly filmed making bung allegations by investigators for BBC’s Panorama programme.

In the undercover tapes he names TEN clubs and SIX managers as part of wide-ranging allegations that will rock the English game.

A BBC insider said: “It’s pretty strong stuff.

“I’m sure there are some people who are very nervous about it coming out. It could have massive repercussions for those involved.”

The film is part of a six-month probe. It shows the agent candidly discussing certain high-profile transfers in detail over dinner with a man he believes to be a foreign businessman.

In fact, he is actually a Panorama investigator, who pretends to be interested in buying his own agency business.

The dealings of one particular Premiership club are discussed in great detail. The agent claims most deals there are carried out by some of his rivals, who are given preferential treatment — with allegations of backhanders to officials.

In another revelation, the agent admits to taking a top teenage prospect to two major clubs, despite the fact the youngster is already under contract to another team.

The Panorama report is due to be broadcast on Monday, September 18.

But BBC lawyers are still vetting the film.

If true, the allegations will be the biggest scandal to hit the game since that involving George Graham.

Arsenal boss Graham was sacked in February 1995, after nine years in charge, when it was revealed he had accepted £425,000 in illegal payments from a Scandinavian agent.

The Premier League are already midway through their own probe into illegal payments being headed by Lord Stevens.

A BBC spokesman said yesterday: “I would rather not comment on any ongoing work.”

In another revelation, the agent admits to taking a top teenage prospect to two major clubs, despite the fact the youngster is already under contract to another team.

Theo??

195315[/snapback]

I would've thought John Obi Mikel

Speaking of dodgy deals, I saw on SSN this morning, Tony Gale saying how Tevez and Mascherano wont be here for long, and to enjoy them while they can. Then Pardew was shown underlining the fact that they will not under any circumstances be leaving in the next transfer window, but he hopes to get the most out of them until the end of this season.

Good stuff from Chelsea.

I'm fully expecting it to be a load of hot air about nowt in particular.

BBC *spits* just 'bigging up' the story to get people to watch.

All we'll see is short clips of the agent at the dinner table talking about stuff with no substance and the rest of the prog being padded out with football related stuff and nothing conclusive.

Edited by snakehips

Theo??

195315[/snapback]

I would've thought John Obi Mikel

195360[/snapback]

Rooney maybe? How old was he when he moved? 18? 19?.

The two major clubs being NUFC and of course Man U.

I fear the worst

By DEREK BROWN

September 08, 2006

THE Premiership is facing a new bungs scandal after an undercover TV probe into illegal payments.

A football agent was secretly filmed making bung allegations by investigators for BBC’s Panorama programme.

In the undercover tapes he names TEN clubs and SIX managers as part of wide-ranging allegations that will rock the English game.

“I’m sure there are some people who are very nervous about it coming out. It could have massive repercussions for those involved.”

The film is part of a six-month probe. It shows the agent candidly discussing certain high-profile transfers in detail over dinner with a man he believes to be a foreign businessman.

In fact, he is actually a Panorama investigator, who pretends to be interested in buying his own agency business.

The dealings of one particular Premiership club are discussed in great detail. The agent claims most deals there are carried out by some of his rivals, who are given preferential treatment — with allegations of backhanders to officials.

If true, the allegations will be the biggest scandal to hit the game since that involving George Graham.

Arsenal boss Graham was sacked in February 1995, after nine years in charge, when it was revealed he had accepted £425,000 in illegal payments from a Scandinavian agent.

The Premier League are already midway through their own probe into illegal payments being headed by Lord Stevens.

A BBC spokesman said yesterday: “I would rather not comment on any ongoing work.”

195168[/snapback]

You are increasingly coming across as one of the wankers who appears to think the club has always been one of the top 2 clubs in the premiership, and winning trophies since Adam and Eve. And it is all the fault of the worst and shitiest board in the world, that this all stopped in 1992, and we have been on a downward spiral ever since.

Anything to paint the board in a bad light.

However, if you prefer a board of sprightly gentleman with honour and integrity, you are qutie welcome to the ex directors of NUFC that ran the club for over 3 decades since before the Halls and Shepherd took over, and the numerous clubs that we have overaken since they did. I can assure you that over 30 years of only finishing in the top 5 of the top league once, and selling our best players didn't inspire anyone to take the piss out of Newcastle United, nor did selling 3 England players in the mid-80's.

Still. Things are far worse now. We have qualified for europe 7 times in the last decade, have appeared in 2 FA Cup finals, have bought major England players and fill the ground to a 52,000 capacity every week. This is a massive improvement from the previous situation where we sold our best players, played in front of a half full stadium with a capacity of 30,000 and considered a QPR reserve to be an adequate replacement for an England player. Or maybe not, according to wankers like you.

And, all of the "big" and successul clubs who have won the Fa Cup, League Cup and even the European Cup since aprox 1978 are still exactly where they were then,ie dominating Newcastle United due to our complete incompetence and their expertise.

Edited by LeazesMag

I fear the worst

By DEREK BROWN

September 08, 2006

195168[/snapback]

You are increasingly coming across as one of the wankers who appears to think the club has always been one of the top 2 clubs in the premiership, and winning trophies since Adam and Eve. And it is all the fault of the worst and shitiest board in the world, that this all stopped in 1992, and we have been on a downward spiral ever since.

However, if you prefer a board of sprightly gentleman with honour and integrity, you are qutie welcome to the ex directors of NUFC that ran the club for over 3 decades since before the Halls and Shepherd took over, and the numerous clubs that we have overaken since they did. I can assure you that over 30 years of only finishing in the top 5 of the top league once, and selling our best players didn't inspire anyone to take the piss out of Newcastle United, nor did selling 3 England players in the mid-80's.

Still. Things are far worse now. We have qualified for europe 7 times in the last decade, have appeared in 2 FA Cup finals, have bought major England players and fill the ground to a 52,000 capacity every week. This is a massive improvement from the previous situation where we sold our best players, played in front of a half full stadium with a capacity of 30,000 and considered a QPR reserve to be an adequate replacement for an England player. Or maybe not, according to wankers like you.

And, all of the "big" and successul clubs who have won the Fa Cup, League Cup and even the European Cup since aprox 1978 are still exactly where they were then,ie dominating Newcastle United due to our complete incompetence and their expertise.

195809[/snapback]

Ok, none of what you just said addresses Toonpack's post. I like the bit about honour and integrity though - it seems that you at least are beginning to accept that Shepherd has neither.

Erm Leazes:

I’m sorry but where in any of my posts on this subject did I express the belief that we are one of the top 2 clubs in the country???

If you read my other posts I did raise the opinion that we should be competing with Arsenal and Liverpool, (clubs 3 and 4 in the country). We cannot compete with Chelski and Man U for obvious financial reasons. I believe this because of the financial muscle that we do have at our disposal, if used wisely is at least equivalent to clubs 3 and 4.

As for your pathetic 1992 jibe, for your information I saw my first “live” game in 1967 (the first one I really remember was 1969 - Liverpool at home 1-1 btw) and have ridden the roller-coaster ever since.

Absolutely not, this article does not necessarily involve us, BUT with our bad headline-grabbing track record I do fear the worst.

Frankly I couldn’t care less if our board consisted of Atilla the Hun with Adolf Hitler as shower attendant (away team dressing room only obviously). All I want to see is a sign of progress and NOT the squandering of the platform that was created by the Shepherd/Hall/Keegan “golden” years.

I want a manager given time (not a series of bollocks dropped), I want a scouting network, I want players coming through, I want us to sign young prospects and I want us NOT in the headlines except on the back pages.

You miss my point COMPLETELY, yes things are better now than under Seymour McKeag etc or best ever for that matter. BUT from the position we are in NOW the signs are we are regressing NOT progressing and THAT is the issue, and THAT is down to the strategic leadership of the club.

Erm yes If I’ve understood you correctly, not so sure it’s by expertise but by prudence and PLANNING and CONSISTENCY.

Sheee-it This sensible posting is a pain in the arse, much more tiresome than just pissing about !!!!!!

As for the wanker comment, I work away from home most of the time, what's a bloke to do ?????

Edited by Toonpack