Liverpool get go-ahead on stadium

Craig

Liverpool have received the go-ahead from the city council to build a new 60,000 all-seater stadium.

_40841669_livstadium_inside203.jpg

Liverpool are set to leave Anfield

after 114 years

Council leaders approved a 999-year lease on Friday for a piece of land in the city's Stanley Park, just 300 yards away from their Anfield home.

"It's all systems go. All we need now is the club to confirm the funding," said council leader Warren Bradley.

Liverpool have until the end of September to convince the council it can come up with £180m for the project.

If financing is approved, building work could begin early next year with the first match pencilled in for August 2009.

Bradley added: "If Liverpool have the funding in place, they can start on the site from January."

The overall cost of the first phase of the project will be £215m.

It includes the new stadium which incorporates a centre with facilities for education, sport and community activities, along with a fully restored Stanley Park.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/5327426.stm

More gate revenue for Liverpool then - the top 4 are streaking ahead of us tbh.

Liverpool have received the go-ahead from the city council to build a new 60,000 all-seater stadium.

_40841669_livstadium_inside203.jpg

Liverpool are set to leave Anfield

after 114 years

Council leaders approved a 999-year lease on Friday for a piece of land in the city's Stanley Park, just 300 yards away from their Anfield home.

"It's all systems go. All we need now is the club to confirm the funding," said council leader Warren Bradley.

Liverpool have until the end of September to convince the council it can come up with £180m for the project.

If financing is approved, building work could begin early next year with the first match pencilled in for August 2009.

Bradley added: "If Liverpool have the funding in place, they can start on the site from January."

The overall cost of the first phase of the project will be £215m.

It includes the new stadium which incorporates a centre with facilities for education, sport and community activities, along with a fully restored Stanley Park.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/5327426.stm

More gate revenue for Liverpool then - the top 4 are streaking ahead of us tbh.

195369[/snapback]

Fucking short-termists.

bit small for a new ground isnt it

195382[/snapback]

Same size as the Emirates Stadium.

And I concur with Dan, the Gallowgate extension needs to be considered again..

I may be completely wrong here, but whenever clubs build new stadiums costing hundreds of millions of pounds I always wonder whether they'll ever be able to pay it back. Isn't it a huge gamble to take on the currency of football staying as strong as it is now for another 50 years or so? Let alone 999?

I think we should have moved to a new stadium. I know it was turned down, but they should have threatened to pull the club out of the city centre, and got the land at Leazes Park. But I don't care about tradition, I think we would have made new traditions, and its just progress.

I think we should have moved to a new stadium. I know it was turned down, but they should have threatened to pull the club out of the city centre, and got the land at Leazes Park. But I don't care about tradition, I think we would have made new traditions, and its just progress.

195488[/snapback]

For once I agree with LM. The move to 'Castle Leazes' should have been pursued. Both Liverpool and Arsenal had their opponnents to their proposals but they kept on with it and have both finally got approval. Had we kept at it, we'd have a 70,000 stadium now.

We'd even planned for the flattening of the existing stadium with half of it to be used as a multi-purpose indoor arena and other half 'returned' to Leazes Park. But despite approval from both the supporters and the city council, the conservationists were up in arms and at the first sniff of problems and the club shelved their plans.

Artist Impressions

castleleazes1oi5.jpg

castleleazes2kf3.jpg

Plan View

castleleazes3av6.jpg

Indoor Arena

stjamescentrejw2.jpg

all these people who were against the idea, are obviously activly using Leazes park all the time  :razz:

195543[/snapback]

It was the nearby Castle Leazes rather than Leazes Park. That probably makes your point even more valid though.

all these people who were against the idea, are obviously activly using Leazes park all the time  :razz:

195543[/snapback]

It was the nearby Castle Leazes rather than Leazes Park. That probably makes your point even more valid though.

195545[/snapback]

:drinks:

Mainly used as a shitting ground for dogs IIRC. I think the biggest complaints were from those who were going to lose their allotments, although I'm sure I remember the club saying they would re-locate them.

I remember that mad old bitch that used to stand at the top of Northumberland Street, next to Lloyds with her petition. I like SJP where it is like, I have to say. Going to somewhere like Bolton is a miserable affair - the ground is in the equivalent of the Silverlink. Not helped by the cheerleaders, fireworks, tit with a drum and the club mascot running the length of the pitch when they score like.

we missed a trick not moving to castle leazes. sjp as a city location is second to none but the new site was only a short walk up the road.

we could have got a bigger stadium for much less money. instead we've got a huge great lopsided ground. the different size stands mean a lot of the noise escapes too - not helpful considering the lack of atmosphere these days.

extending the gallowgate to level 7 would help but we're still going to be stuck with a tiny east stand. adds character i suppose - a lot of the new grounds are boring, ugly and all a bit uniform...

Mind you, can anyone remember when the Mackems wanted to move next door to Nissan and build the 'Wembley of the North'??

Even was planned to have twin towers - Jesus wept! :razz:

I still reckon 50,000 is about the right size for a football ground. It's only a matter of time before ppv is available for whichever game you want to watch imo. When that happens, we want as little empty seats as possible.

EDIT: Oh, and were the Councillors with LFC season tickets barred from voteing on the plan, as was the case with NUFC season ticket holding Councillors for ours????

Edited by snakehips

195488[/snapback]

Hall did, to Gateshead. They called his bluff

195488[/snapback]

My head said move to Castle Leazes but heart still says keep it at SJP. Mind you might have removed the need for Ruud Gullit to get an exorcist :nono:

Stay at SJP FFS - its closer to town , its big enough and it has all the tradition

195641[/snapback]

Eh? The Castle Leazes site is only another 100 or so yards.

Edited by Sima

Stay at SJP FFS - its closer to town , its big enough and it has all the tradition

195641[/snapback]

Eh? The Castle Leazes site is only another 100 or so yards.

195695[/snapback]

So you agree that SJP is closer to town then