Roeder LUVS the Zog

Gemmill

Charles can be king if he copies Duff

Sep 8 2006

By The Evening Chronicle

Glenn roeder is banking on the arrival of Damien Duff to help not hinder Charles N'Zogbia's career with Newcastle United.

And the United boss won't mind in the least if the young Frenchman does what he did last season and grab a goal against Fulham in tomorrow's encounter at St James' Park.

N'Zogbia has had to remain patient this season following the acquisition of Republic of Ireland winger Duff, and while it wouldn't surprise me if he starts tomorrow, he has been used only as a substitute in each of the club's two Premiership games to date this season.

He may have to make do with a seat on the bench again tomorrow as Fulham head for St James' Park 24 hours short of a year to the day that he sent them back on the long journey south cursing his intervention.

That day marked Michael Owen's debut for the club which paid £17m for his services, but it was N'Zogbia who came off the bench to snatch a draw with a stunning late strike after Brian McBride had put the visitors in front.

Owen will be just days into his recovery from the surgery he underwent on Wednesday to repair his ruptured anterior cruciate ligament when the first whistle sounds this weekend.

But, while he may not play again this season, Roeder insists N'Zogbia will have a major role.

He said: "Charles is 20 years old and he has had over 50 starts. "We have a disease in this country. We turn out good young players - in fact, he is better than good, he is an excellent young player - and we demand that they play week-in, week-out.

"They get to 23, 24 and suddenly they have all sorts on injuries because they have played too many games and they suffer burn-out.

"It is my job to look after young players. I did it with quite a few players, but the most obvious one I did it with was Jermain Defoe at West Ham.

"I protected Jermain in the first couple of seasons. He would often come off the bench and play a big part in a winning performance - and he had plenty of starts.

"Charles N'Zogbia will play lots and lots of games, and start lots of games this year for Newcastle.

"We are in four competitions. I think the world of him and he would be one player who certainly would never be for sale as far as I am concerned.

"He has a big future in front of him, but I will protect him."

Roeder believes Duff's arrival, rather than hindering N'Zogbia, has proved a spur.

He said: "Damien Duff coming to the club has actually raised his level of performance anything up to 15, 20%.

"Damien's arrival has actually helped Charles, not hindered him at all. He is a wonderful, wonderful player."

I just hope this plan to bring him on a bit more slowly doesn't lead to him leaving the club. Nice to hear some sort of explanation for why he isn't getting a regular game though.

I'm sorry, but the cynic in me just says it is the old 'protecting him' baloney that so many managers come out with. Covering up the fact that it's the easiest thing to drop a youngster and tell us/him it's for 'protection'.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry Alex, I didn't read your bit! I read the article and jumped straight in there, so to speak :nono:

Edited by snakehips

I have to say I am really struggling to take Roeder seriously at the moment.

I brought last season's DVD with me and at one point he is explaining a match situation and he goes on about 'that was another time I made the paint come off the walls' or some such words :nono: I thought: 'Why the fuck are you telling me this? Are you trying to tell me you can be an angry lad? I don't want to know that shit, Glenn.'

I sincerely hope he goes on a winning streak and proves my cynicism totally unfounded. Come on, Glenn, ram it down my throat (as the actress said to the Bishop)

Guest Patrokles
I have to say I am really struggling to take Roeder seriously at the moment.

I brought last season's DVD with me and at one point he is explaining a match situation and he goes on about 'that was another time I made the paint come off the walls' or some such words :nono:  I thought: 'Why the fuck are you telling me this? Are you trying to tell me you can be an angry lad? I don't want to know that shit, Glenn.'

I sincerely hope he goes on a winning streak and proves my cynicism totally unfounded. Come on, Glenn, ram it down my throat (as the actress said to the Bishop)

195607[/snapback]

To be fair though, whenever Roeder actually has got angry with the team, we've seen an immediate up-turn in performance.

Although I think people are going overboard with their praise for N'Zogbia I wouldn't want to lose a player of his potential. But I still don't think he's signed a new contract which means he can walk in the summer with minimal compensation. Perhaps the reason we signed DD.

IMO, if the there is a problem such as N'Zogbia definitely wanting to leave and refusing a new contract, we should have sold him in August as we won't get as much in January. Like it or not, that is the business these days.

IMO, if the there is a problem such as N'Zogbia definitely wanting to leave and refusing a new contract, we should have sold him in August as we won't get as much in January. Like it or not, that is the business these days.

195680[/snapback]

Depressing but true.