Milner wasn't messed about - Roeder

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has denied Newcastle have messed James Milner around despite cancelling a deadline day move to Aston Villa just hours after giving him permission to talk to the Midlands club.

Milner, who scored the winner for England Under-21s against Switzerland in midweek, is understood to have been far from happy with his treatment having already had the number 11 shirt taken off him this season when the club signed Damien Duff.

But Roeder, who has spoken to the hardworking 20-year-old on his return from international duty, is confident he will recover from the unrest and uncertainty which has followed him all summer. "From our point of view, he was allowed to go to Aston Villa to talk to them," said Roeder, who nevertheless will have to do all he can to restore the player's confidence in the coming weeks.

"It was the last day of the transfer window. Unfortunately, it was a deal we couldn't go through with right at the death. These things happen in football.

"That is much as I can say. The experience, in the long run, will help his career, this won't have wounded him or harmed him. He wouldn't have wanted it to happen but as a young boy it won't do him any harm. He is back in the fold. You can see the numbers we have got and the amount of games we have in Europe. He will play plenty of games.

"We don't think he was messed around. The situation didn't turn out as we thought it was going to. We have ended up still having a highly talented player but I think saying he has been messed around is taking it too far."

Whether Milner feels the same is a moot point and he would still appear to have an uncertain future at St James's Park when the transfer window re-opens in January.

With money tight at St James's Park, the versatile midfielder may still need to be sacrificed to raise funds - as he initially was last week to fund a proposed bid for Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka - with Roeder suggesting yesterday that he will almost certainly look to buy in the New Year.

Roeder added: "A week is a long time in football, nevermind four months. Who knows what will happen when the transfer window opens in January. I'm confident I will be able to bring players in. They might be new targets or we may revisit the same targets as we wanted last time."

What's the point in denying something that's blatantly true!!

"The experience, in the long run, will help his career, this won't have wounded him or harmed him." - Well maybe not, but what about the club, eh!?! The club's reputation has been damaged by us pulling out of a deal at the last minute, other clubs, particularly Villa, will think twice about dealing with us in the future.

"We don't think he was messed around. The situation didn't turn out as we thought it was going to. We have ended up still having a highly talented player but I think saying he has been messed around is taking it too far." - If he really thinks this he's seriously deluded, if not he's telling a barefaced lie, neither is good.

"Who knows what will happen when the transfer window opens in January." - Well I think I've got a pretty good idea of what will happen: we'll conduct yet another shambolic attempt at a transfer policy.

Glenn Roeder has denied Newcastle have messed James Milner around despite cancelling a deadline day move to Aston Villa just hours after giving him permission to talk to the Midlands club.

Milner, who scored the winner for England Under-21s against Switzerland in midweek, is understood to have been far from happy with his treatment having already had the number 11 shirt taken off him this season when the club signed Damien Duff.

But Roeder, who has spoken to the hardworking 20-year-old on his return from international duty, is confident he will recover from the unrest and uncertainty which has followed him all summer. "From our point of view, he was allowed to go to Aston Villa to talk to them," said Roeder, who nevertheless will have to do all he can to restore the player's confidence in the coming weeks.

"It was the last day of the transfer window. Unfortunately, it was a deal we couldn't go through with right at the death. These things happen in football.

"That is much as I can say. The experience, in the long run, will help his career, this won't have wounded him or harmed him. He wouldn't have wanted it to happen but as a young boy it won't do him any harm. He is back in the fold. You can see the numbers we have got and the amount of games we have in Europe. He will play plenty of games.

"We don't think he was messed around. The situation didn't turn out as we thought it was going to. We have ended up still having a highly talented player but I think saying he has been messed around is taking it too far."

Whether Milner feels the same is a moot point and he would still appear to have an uncertain future at St James's Park when the transfer window re-opens in January.

With money tight at St James's Park, the versatile midfielder may still need to be sacrificed to raise funds - as he initially was last week to fund a proposed bid for Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka - with Roeder suggesting yesterday that he will almost certainly look to buy in the New Year.

Roeder added: "A week is a long time in football, nevermind four months. Who knows what will happen when the transfer window opens in January. I'm confident I will be able to bring players in. They might be new targets or we may revisit the same targets as we wanted last time."

195839[/snapback]

Glenn, Kuyt is gone. Get over it!

It will help his career though, as my source tells me that young Milner intends to take up a coach driving job when he retires. What better way to learn the roads of Britain!

I said yesterday that I am struggling to cope with some of the things Rodders says, and this doesn't help one bit :nono:

Guest Patrokles

He was allowed to talk to Villa on the proviso that we needed cash from his sale to buy some other players. Those players weren't available; therefore, he was recalled. it's not like we sent him to Villa just for shits and giggles, then brought him back as a tease. THEN we'd have messed him around, yes.

He was allowed to talk to Villa on the proviso that we needed cash from his sale to buy some other players. Those players weren't available; therefore, he was recalled. it's not like we sent him to Villa just for shits and giggles, then brought him back as a tease. THEN we'd have messed him around, yes.

195893[/snapback]

Our survey said: *insert Family Fortunes-type incorrect answer noise*

By telling Milner he could go to Villa he has effectively been told he is surplus to requirements at Newcastle. i.e unwanted. All of a sudden he is back in the fold and expected to be the same person?? Come January, young Milner will have just a little suspicion that he will be on the move again?????????

imo = messed around.

195893[/snapback]

By telling Milner he could go to Villa he has effectively been told he is surplus to requirements at Newcastle. i.e unwanted. All of a sudden he is back in the fold and expected to be the same person?? Come January, young Milner will have just a little suspicion that he will be on the move again?????????

imo = messed around.

195895[/snapback]

emo = messed up kid

Guest Patrokles

195893[/snapback]

imo = messed around.

195895[/snapback]

Although I'll agree that, of course, it's not going to have done his confidence any good, I still disagree that it's a case of being messed around.

Roeder is right that it won't particularly have done him any damage, but other than that he's talking bollocks. Millner was completely pissed about and the club looked stupid.

196057[/snapback]

the club is stupid. sell shite boumsong out of an already shite defence and divvent even bother replacing him, one example of a catalogue of moronic decisions.

Roeder now has the shortest odds to get the sacked first in the prem. 6.8 on betfair. :nono:

Edited by walkinthedog

Roeder is right that it won't particularly have done him any damage, but other than that he's talking bollocks. Millner was completely pissed about and the club looked stupid.

196057[/snapback]

the club is stupid. sell shite boumsong out of an already shite defence and divvent even bother replacing him, one example of a catalogue of moronic decisions.

Roeder now has the shortest odds to get the sacked first in the prem. 6.8 on betfair. :nono:

No one can be surprised at that, Roedent has a record of failure. Three management jobs and three relegated clubs.Essex boy Glenn is just a shite manager as he has proved over and over again.

So - what you people are saying is

The club were about to buy Viduka, and sell Milner ie bring a forward in and let one go - the one coming in fell through so the club should have continued allowing the player leaving to still go, even though we know we have a lack of forward players ?

The club were about to buy Viduka, and sell Milner ie bring a forward in and let one go - the one coming in fell through so the club should have continued allowing the player leaving to still go, even though we know we have a lack of forward players ?

Anyone know why the Viduka deal fell through? Perhaps it's because Boro NEVER WANTED TO SELL HIM?

Anyone know why the Viduka deal fell through? Perhaps it's because Boro NEVER WANTED TO SELL HIM?

Now there's a thought !!!!!

eeeerrrrrrr.....and NUFC were only prepared to let Milner go if they were able to bring in someone who they - ie the manager - thought, is more valuable ? Is this difficult ?

My original question remains. I realise that so far as the board are concerned, you are one of those who will damn if they do and damn if they don't :nono:

Now there's a thought !!!!!

it certainly is, and the obvious conclusion is beyond you too it would seem

Would have been an idea to see if there was any chance of Viduka being allowed to go before Milner was allowed to talk to Villa. Gives the lie to Roeder's claims of not wanting 'fat cats' and wanting to nuture young English talent too. He's gone back on his word/talked shit several times in recent months though. Milner wasn't messed about? The sky is green tbh.

Edited by alex

Would have been an idea to see if there was any chance of Viduka being allowed to go before Milner was allowed to talk to Villa. Gives the lie to Roeder's claims of not wanting 'fat cats' and wanting to nuture young English talent too. He's gone back on his word/talked shit several times in recent months though. Milner wasn't messed about? The sky is green tbh.

Exactly. Keith Lamb announced at the press conference that Villa held that afternoon that there was no way Viduka was leaving. As far as I can remember, this happened before Milner was recalled. So it looks like the first we heard of this was when Lamb announced it to the press. Now wouldn't you have thought we would have done the sensible thing and made an inquiry?

Don't get me wrong like, people make mistakes in their jobs and things get done incorrectly - I do it all the time, but we do it far too often and on far too public a stage, and with things that would be very simple to do correctly, this being the perfect example.

By the way, to then leave him completely out of the squad for Saturday's game was just insult to injury IMO.