Best deal for broadband?

GeordieMessiah

ive downlodaed 647gb since 12/10/06 and have just had a letter fom virgin asking me to take it easy with the downloads <_<

thats just ridiculous :lol:

mines probably been 150 at most

Did you know each Gig costs the ISP about £1. You're costing them a fricking fortune :)

Edited by luckypierre

• 1 month later...

Saw this in the thunderer and remembered someone was asking about which ISP was the best... couldn't remember which thread it was so I figured I'd pop it in here.

Zen

Rated 18/20

www.zen.co.uk — from £18pm for 8Mbps broadband with 2GB cap, to £35pm with 50GB cap

Unsurpassed service and reliability

Zen keeps it simple by offering a no-frills service that is perfect for web aficionados and small businesses. It offers an internet connection only and can’t compete with big-brand phone and entertainment packages, but with a call centre staffed with technical experts and great network investment, Zen has been the choice of the cognoscenti for three years. The fact that it has short (one-month) contracts confirms confidence in its service, while a promised one-hour response time for faults is impressive.

NTL:Telewest

Rated 15/20

www.ntl.com — from £10pm for 2Mbps uncapped, to £50pm for 4Mbps with unlimited landline calls at evenings and weekends, and 170 TV channels

Great for speed and TV. Variable customer service

With 3m customers, the merged cable companies are a big force in the market, though one of its executives has admitted to “crap service” from NTL in the past. This may improve once the company is rebranded Virgin Media after yet another merger. The service offers extremely fast download speeds with a 10Mbps option, plus the “quad play” dream of broadband, digital TV, fixed and mobile phone. One fixed bill, and no need to pay BT line rental, make this attractive.

BT

Rated 13/20

www.bt.com— from £18pm for 8Mbps with 5GB cap, hotspot minutes and free calls, to £27pm uncapped with Home Hub and phone

Solid if unspectacular

The UK’s biggest ISP — with a reported 3.1m subscribers — inherited an unrivalled infrastructure so it’s no surprise that the company performs reasonably in speed and reliability tests. Its Home Hub wireless modem, which connects several computers to a network, can also be used as an access point for a telephone handset, with inclusive off-peak calls. BT Vision (£90 for installation and connection) brings access to film, sport and television packages.

Pipex

Rated 12/20

www.pipex.com — from £15pm for 8Mbps with 2GB cap, to £25pm for 8Mbps uncapped with free local and national calls

Reliable workhorse, world-weary stablehands

This highly acquisitive ISP has been on something of a shopping spree, buying up big names such as Freedom2Surf, Bulldog and Toucan. It now claims 600,000 customers, and offers a keenly priced package of internet and phone deals. The network supplier is also one of the front runners in the next-generation world of WiMax wireless internet services, which will offer faster connections over long distances. However, merging so many companies has led to quite a few billing problems.

PlusNet

Rated 12/200

www.plus.net — From £10pm for 8Mbps with 450MB cap then pay as you go at 0.224p per MB, to £22pm for 8Mbps uncapped with 240 minutes free Voip calls to UK landlines

Not for heavy downloaders

The surprisingly candid PlusNet has a mixed reputation as one of the first ISPs to front up about “traffic shaping” — reducing speeds to bandwidth-hogging downloaders during peak hours. The result is a fairer distribution of download speeds between all subscribers. Believing that ISPs have to diversify to survive, PlusNet also sells phone packages that include line rental.

AOL

Rated 10/20

info.aol.co.uk — From £15pm for 2Mbps uncapped, to £30pm for 8Mbps uncapped

Solid service, shaky customer care

Recently bought by The Carphone Warehouse — which owns TalkTalk — AOL has brought with it some 2m subscribers, who, incidentally have been assured that their service will remain independent, which they may or may not see as a good thing. It has a large unbundled network, which means it has installed its own faster equipment in BT exchanges, and it is Britain’s third-largest ISP. A wireless router is included in packages, but — unusually for a company that has built up so much experience — customer satisfaction remains worryingly low.

Orange

Rated 10/20

www.orange.co.uk — From £15pm for 2Mbps with 2GB cap, to £20pm for 8Mbps uncapped with free national and international calls Strong packages, weak service When France Telecom rebranded Wanadoo as Orange, it grabbed the “free” broadband headlines by offering a basic package (a meagre 2Mbps connection and rather lowly 2GB cap) for free with mobile phone contracts costing more than £30 per month. Top packages include an 8Mbps Livebox, a wireless router for connecting up to six computers, the ability to plug in a telephone console for online gaming and internet phone calls.

TalkTalk

Rated 9/20

www.talktalk.co.uk — From £20pm for 8Mbps with 40GB cap, which includes line rental and unlimited local and national calls Undeniably cheap, but with no thrills Broadband proved a painful initiation for the Carphone Warehouse, which racked up more than 600,000 customers in less than a year, but failed to anticipate that level of demand. Even the company’s chief executive admits it made a right digital mess of the launch, although anecdotal reports hint at slight improvements since in customer service. Despite the offer of “up to” 8Mbps, many customers remain on far slower services, while the company’s plans to put its own, faster equipment in BT exchanges take hold.

PlusNet

Rated 12/200

www.plus.net — From £10pm for 8Mbps with 450MB cap then pay as you go at 0.224p per MB, to £22pm for 8Mbps uncapped with 240 minutes free Voip calls to UK landlines

The surprisingly candid PlusNet has a mixed reputation as one of the first ISPs to front up about “traffic shaping” — reducing speeds to bandwidth-hogging downloaders during peak hours. The result is a fairer distribution of download speeds between all subscribers. Believing that ISPs have to diversify to survive, PlusNet also sells phone packages that include line rental.

Christ! They suck something awful.

PlusNet

Rated 12/200

They're ok, fucked me over when I accidentaly gave the wrong sort code to set up the account, spent shitloads to never get through to them on the phone only to be delayed 2 weeks in setting up

but, got a monthly contract qhich hardly ever goes over £13-15

Gone up in my estimation now I know they throttle back all the thieves

PlusNet

Rated 12/200

They're ok, fucked me over when I accidentaly gave the wrong sort code to set up the account, spent shitloads to never get through to them on the phone only to be delayed 2 weeks in setting up

but, got a monthly contract qhich hardly ever goes over £13-15

Gone up in my estimation now I know they throttle back all the thieves

I'm now in the process of leaving plusnet for eclipse, its due to complete pn Friday.