Chop Souey?

Paul

Source: http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/tm_obj...-name_page.html

AXE HOVERS OVER SOUEY

Aug 21 2005

By Paul Smith

GRAEME SOUNESS is now on the brink of being sacked by Newcastle United.

And the shock name emerging as his likely successor is Aston Villa boss David O'Leary.

The Geordies' paltry return of just one point from their opening two Premiership games has piled intense pressure on the Toon boss.

Bookies William Hill last night cut the odds on Souness being the first Premiership manager to be sacked this season from 9-2 to 5-2 favourite.

United were booed off by angry fans after yesterday's goalless draw against West Ham. The Hammers were reduced to ten men for the final 35 minutes after Paul Konchesky was sent off for a professional foul.

And the inability of the home side to create any meaningful openings provoked anger among the Geordie fans.

In fact, Souness is under so much scrutiny that the Newcastle board may have to look at a potential caretaker boss to take charge in any managerial emergency.

They could turn to Glenn Roeder, the former West Ham boss, who recently returned to Newcastle to join the club's youth coaching set-up.

But after suffering a brain tumour. It would be a massive decision for him to get involved in high profile, first team football again.

O'Leary?

:razz:

15624[/snapback]

Would be better than Souey at least.

Anyone think Coleman would be worth a gamble? Would be a financially viable option seeing as he's also facing the boot. Whether or not the Fulham team for this season has anything to do with him (ie everyone leaving) is another matter...

Hitzfeld have a job yet? :blink:

The more I think about this one I am not so sure.

I think in the short term and in the very near future Shearer and Roeder just might look after team affairs, but I am not sure Shearer would like the job on a permanent basis as early as this. Maybe in 2/3 years I have no doubt he would jump at the chance, he would not want to risk falling flat on his arse and that is the danger of picking something up after Sourness.

:blink::razz:

I think in the short term and in the very near future Shearer and Roeder just might look after team affairs, but I am not sure Shearer would like the job on a permanent basis as early as this. Maybe in 2/3 years I have no doubt he would jump at the chance, he would not want to risk falling flat on his arse and that is the danger of picking something up after Sourness.

:blink:  :razz:

15644[/snapback]

I agree Shearer may not want it, and i hope he has the sense to go nowhere near it, what i mean is whether he does it publically or behind close doors, fat boy will offer it to Shearer first, after all he's a geordie and what more does a manager need!

15644[/snapback]

I agree Shearer may not want it, and i hope he has the sense to go nowhere near it, what i mean is whether he does it publically or behind close doors, fat boy will offer it to Shearer first, after all he's a geordie and what more does a manager need!

15645[/snapback]

Agreed, I hope he has the sense to say no, I'd much prefer he remained a Toon legend rather :nufc: than a fall guy.

15644[/snapback]

15645[/snapback]

Agreed, I hope he has the sense to say no, I'd much prefer he remained a Toon legend rather :nufc: than a fall guy.

15647[/snapback]

Indeed. we are a mess right now and if Souness has finally been sacked we will be in an even bigger mess. If Big Al takes this on he will be in at the deep end and it could go so wrong.

Also he is too close to things at the moment to be boss, he has people he gets on with, people he doesn't like, they all think of him as a teamate and suddenly he has to be boss, its not good. And you suspect he'd keep the same shite coaches here to start with and we want a boss to come in and clear them all out!

I've got a tenner bet on that he won't be next permanent manager.

I used to feel like I could smack O'Learys smug face when he was manager of Leeds telling everyone he built a top 4 team, when they were 5th in the league, and 5th when he took over.... but not so much as Souness' though.

i'd rather have O'leary than Souness.

Have things really got that bad ?

I said already before the season that Souness needs a result out of the first four games if he wants that the ManUre game isn't his last. Normally he should have got the win that eased the pressure out of the game against West Ham at home. A disappointing match against Bolton and a non-performance against ManUre and Souness will find his end at the gallowgate...

and we'll be in the news all over again for the wrong reasons! ... Great!

You know who I'd like to see in Souey's place, Alan Curbuishley, now there's a man who's been doing a wonderful job at a small club ... and it's about time he got himself a job at a club like the Toon.

Curbishly wont leave Charlton. I either see us getting O'Leary (who I do rate) or Bruce *shudders*.

I'd love to see Big Sam leave Bolton and come here but he's not that daft. He's got the same passion and attitude as Souness but he's much better tactically and isn't half as childish. The likes of Hitzfeld will never come here.

Curbishly wont leave Charlton. I either see us getting O'Leary (who I do rate) or Bruce *shudders*.

I'd love to see Big Sam leave Bolton and come here but he's not that daft. He's got the same passion and attitude as Souness but he's much better tactically and isn't half as childish. The likes of Hitzfeld will never come here.

15704[/snapback]

Yeah he won't have arguments with players because they called him a "twat" several days before and then badmouth his players in interviews to newspapers. He knoes what he's doing Sam, but he seems more than happy with Bolton.