Harper Signs New Deal

Guest Patrokles

good keeper but he's not the most ambitious player in the world is he? fancy spending your entire career on the bench when you could walk into the starting eleven a host of premiership sides and most championship clubs.

good keeper but he's not the most ambitious player in the world is he? fancy spending your entire career on the bench when you could walk into the starting eleven a host of premiership sides and most championship clubs.

Absolute bollocks

Guest Patrokles

Absolute bollocks

No.

Absolute bollocks

No.

Care to name the sides he's get into?

Absolute bollocks

maybe. maybe not.

it's hard to say for sure because he's hardly played a first team game for ten years.

whenever he has he's impressed me and he's highly rated by a host of premiership managers. west ham and bolton were both in for him over the summer. i would have been tempted by the move if i was him.

Mercenary.

Up there with the worst IMO, just people let him off because he's a local lad.

Seriously, have a word.

'Up there with the worst?'

Not a clue.

If a foreign lad sat for 7 years playing about 1 game a season there would be hell on.

Difference is that he's not on 80 grand a week, and he's in a position where you're expected to have a back-up.

Not a mercenary but definitely an average goalkeeper that could have had a more interesting career. If I was in his position, I'd have certainly left a long time ago to play in the championship. Unless ofcourse the paypack at Newcastle is vastly superior, even for an average reserve goalie.

Edited by GafferTape

If a foreign lad sat for 7 years playing about 1 game a season there would be hell on.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the club are continuing to offer him new contracts. What is so wrong with signing them? Do you think perhaps he should work harder in training and show Roeder that the key to solving our defensive woes is to play two goalkeepers?

He's not sitting there on huge money refusing to leave and 'doing a Bogarde' (and even then, I'm on Bogarde's side).

He's doing a job, it just so happens that job doesn't involve a lot of playing. He's there week in, week out- it just so happens we have a very good first choice goalkeeper who rarely gets injured.

Honestly, there is no pleasing some people.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the club are continuing to offer him new contracts. What is so wrong with signing them? Do you think perhaps he should work harder in training and show Roeder that the key to solving our defensive woes is to play two goalkeepers?

He's not sitting there on huge money refusing to leave and 'doing a Bogarde' (and even then, I'm on Bogarde's side).

He's doing a job, it just so happens that job doesn't involve a lot of playing. He's there week in, week out- it just so happens we have a very good first choice goalkeeper who rarely gets injured.

Exactly, and i'm glad he does it as we get cover for Given should he ever get injured.

Harper had two choices:

1. Go to a lesser club and prove himself, play regularly and see where his career would end up

Or what he did:

2. Stay in his home area, be well paid, use his time to go to university, be around friends and family and have a nice easy life, but obviously suffer not playing regularly whilst always hoping you'll get a chance sometime

Nothing wrong with what he's done, i could never bring myself to ever play for another club and set of fans i either couldn't care about or outright hated and if that mean sitting on the bench for NUFC then that's exactly where i'd be. Winning a trophy with a bunch of pricks at manu/arse etc. wouldn't mean anything to me as i hate them

I don't know if that's how Harper feels, but i'm glad he stays here as cover for Given

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I think Harpers decision might well hinge upon the offer of a testimonial, which he must certainly be (over)due?

He most certainly could have made more of his career but at his age he probably can't be arsed to go and establish himself elsewhere. He's in a financial comfort zone.

Exactly, and i'm glad he does it as we get cover for Given should he ever get injured.

Harper had two choices:

1. Go to a lesser club and prove himself, play regularly and see where his career would end up

Or what he did:

2. Stay in his home area, be well paid, use his time to go to university, be around friends and family and have a nice easy life, but obviously suffer not playing regularly whilst always hoping you'll get a chance sometime

Nothing wrong with what he's done, i could never bring myself to ever play for another club and set of fans i either couldn't care about or outright hated and if that mean sitting on the bench for NUFC then that's exactly where i'd be. Winning a trophy with a bunch of pricks at manu/arse etc. wouldn't mean anything to me as i hate them

I don't know if that's how Harper feels, but i'm glad he stays here as cover for Given

I thought Ally must be joking? Maybe not.

Can't agree with you though PL. If you are a professional footballer you have to disassociate yourself from being a fan of the game and get on with your job in 99% of cases. If everbody thought like you we'd be in a Shepherd wonderland - being represented by 11 geordies on the pitch etc.

I reckon it must be a huge buzz to play for any big club and it's not something I'd sacrifice if I wasn't good enough for NUFC.

Not meaning to be nasty like, but he really doesn't deserve one. He's earned plenty for doing very little over the years, and whilst it's been good for us that we've had a lad prepared to provide us with some stability, that doesn't really merit him getting a pay-off from the fans for it. He's probably bringing in the best part of £500k per year anyway.

Not meaning to be nasty like, but he really doesn't deserve one. He's earned plenty for doing very little over the years, and whilst it's been good for us that we've had a lad prepared to provide us with some stability, that doesn't really merit him getting a pay-off from the fans for it. He's probably bringing in the best part of £500k per year anyway.

I have heard he is on an unbelievable deal - I believe £500k is well short of the mark!

He used go to the same gym as me dad but once the money started rolling in me dad said you could see he changed like. Me dad also said Harper's dad's a ref in one of the footy leagues he used to play in and is a right cunt.