75 million..

Scottish Mag

That is how much we have spent since the end of the 03/04 season. A season where we ended as disgruntled supporters not happy with how the season had panned out, what I would give to go back to then..

Given, Harper, Caig

Hughes, Griffin, Caldwell, O'Brien, Woodgate, Bramble, Bernard, Elliott

Ambrose, Bowyer, Speed, Dyer, Viana, Robert, Jenas

Shearer, Ameobi, Bellamy, Lua Lua

Even Chopra and Taylor had been involved at some points over the season.

That is the squad we ended the season with. Whilst I'm sure it will be open to debate as to who was actually any good and there could be arguments as to whether it is any better than what we currently have the fact remains that 75 million has been spent to try and "improve" that squad something we can certainly say has not been done.

A summer in which Chelsea and Liverpool both sacked their managers and brought in Mourinho and Benitez and have went from strength to strength god knows how we have managed to let it all go tits up... B)

Guest Patrokles

I was thinking about it earlier and our current first XI is probably as good as Robson's, if not better in some areas. (the defence as inidividuals are certainly pretty much of a similar standard). I do think that a lack of goals this season has proven the biggest issue, with the Shearer/Bellamy partnership of Robson the notable difference between then and now. But potentially we have a similar mix if it all clicks.

I was thinking about it earlier and our current first XI is probably as good as Robson's, if not better in some areas. (the defence as inidividuals are certainly pretty much of a similar standard). I do think that a lack of goals this season has proven the biggest issue, with the Shearer/Bellamy partnership of Robson the notable difference between then and now. But potentially we have a similar mix if it all clicks.

Insane post alert.

Insane post alert.

Blame Achilles he pushed it in too far and it has damaged his brain. B)

Guest Patrokles

Insane post alert.

Alright, point out where:

Given

Hughes, O'Brien, Bramble/Occasionally Woodgate, Bernard

Solano, Speed, Acuna/Dyer/Jenas, Robert

Bellamy, Shearer

is so much better than:

Given

Carr, Moore, Bramble/Taylor, Bernard

Milner/Solano/Duff, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia/Duff

Ameobi/Rossi, Martins.

IF, as I said in my above post, the second line-up 'clicks' in an attacking sense. Then apologise.

Insane post alert.

Alright, point out where:

Given

Hughes, O'Brien, Bramble/Occasionally Woodgate, Bernard

Solano, Speed, Acuna/Dyer/Jenas, Robert

Bellamy, Shearer

is so much better than:

Given

Carr, Moore, Bramble/Taylor, Bernard

Milner/Solano/Duff, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia/Duff

Ameobi/Rossi, Martins.

IF, as I said in my above post, the second line-up 'clicks' in an attacking sense. Then apologise.

B)

I think you'll find that football is about opinions, I think our previous first 11 was far better in both defence and certainly attack, and this is of course before you take into account how desperately thin the squad now is. Mind, I assume actually that what you really are talking about is the squad though, as you are listing options there, not a straight full strength first 11. Although conveniently you omit more of the options we previously had available.

Never mind also the point of the thread starter that it has cost us 75 MILLION to get to what is surely a worse squad and imo a worse starting 11. But if you're right and we really are as good as we were 4 years ago I guess I'll be enjoying a competitive season this year followed by Champions League football, won't I? Or is the manager solely to blame for our dismal form?

To be honest are Squad is good on paper..but tends to play fucking shite..B)

I don't agree. No team with Ameobi or Bramble in it looks good on paper to me. Martins and Rossi I have yet to make my mind up about but I'm sceptical. Bramble aside, I don't rate any of our defence, not even Taylor (Given excepted). Fair enough, we have some quality in midfield but that is not enough.

Surely if you're including Mssrs Woodgate, Dyer and Bellamy in our 03/04 squad then you have to include Owen and Dyer in our current squad, thus:

Given

Carr, Moore, Bramble, Taylor, Ramage, Bernard, Baba

Milner, Solano, Duff, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia, Dyer

Owen, Ameobi, Rossi, Martins

So, on form, I think you can pick a starting 11 out of that lot that would be better than our 03/04 starting 11.

Though, given the amount of money we've spent, you'd exepect us to have a far better squad than we currently have.

Surely if you're including Mssrs Woodgate, Dyer and Bellamy in our 03/04 squad then you have to include Owen and Dyer in our current squad, thus:

Given

Carr, Moore, Bramble, Taylor, Ramage, Bernard, Baba

Milner, Solano, Duff, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia, Dyer

Owen, Ameobi, Rossi, Martins

So, on form, I think you can pick a starting 11 out of that lot that would be better than our 03/04 starting 11.

Though, given the amount of money we've spent, you'd exepect us to have a far better squad than we currently have.

Although in reality there is a good chance Owen will never be the same again, Dyer will never offer what he once did (which is not much), Bramble hasn't improved, Bernard has turned to shit, and Solano is probably past it.

If the full strength team of 2003 played the one of 2006, who would win?