Bernard ordered to beef up

Scottish Mag

Olivier Bernard has been told to pack on the muscle if he hopes to make his return to Newcastle United a success.

The Frenchman was signed by the Toon on a free transfer after being released by Rangers.

But Toon boss Glenn Roeder told the club website: "One thing that shocked me, if you want, when I saw him was his physique.

"As you know I wanted him when I was at West Ham, and I remember him as a thick-set, chunky lad.

"The regime at Rangers made him lose an awful lot of weight, and he has lost some of his strength because of that.

"Physically, in terms of his power, he has lost some of that power, but we will get that back.

"We will build him back up to the shape that we remember Olivier Bernard used to be, not this slim, thin one that we have now!"

It would probably have been worth keeping this under wraps. Unless we're attempting to look even more amateurish than we already do.

is that possible? ;)

I didn't think so until now :blush:

So Roeder signed him completely based on how he was 2 years ago? He could have lost a leg and we'd still have signed him, we'll build him back into shape.

If you saw him at Rangers, that could quite possibly explain a lot !!

Good thinking like. Lets beef our LB up so that hes slow as fuck and gets skinned by every RW in the league. Ashley Cole manages ok and hes about 9stone wet through, but then hes shit isnt he!

Rangers probably had the right idea about slimming him down tbh

Good thinking like. Lets beef our LB up so that hes slow as fuck and gets skinned by every RW in the league. Ashley Cole manages ok and hes about 9stone wet through, but then hes shit isnt he!

Rangers probably had the right idea about slimming him down tbh

Bernard was chunky before and still fast and he was shit at Rangers so they didn't appear to be doing the right thing to me. Ashely Cole is a totally different build too.

Guest Patrokles

If Roeder gets asked questions about new signings and attends press conferences, then, yes, he'll appear in the newspapers. Everyone criticised him for not saying much at the close of the window, now he's being criticised for talking.

The fact is, when Bernard was here, he was a good player with a solid physique. By all accounts, he's been not so good since he left, and his physique has also been lost. I fail to see what's wrong with Roeder saying that they want to build him back up to the weight where he seemed most effective.

If Roeder gets asked questions about new signings and attends press conferences, then, yes, he'll appear in the newspapers. Everyone criticised him for not saying much at the close of the window, now he's being criticised for talking.

The fact is, when Bernard was here, he was a good player with a solid physique. By all accounts, he's been not so good since he left, and his physique has also been lost. I fail to see what's wrong with Roeder saying that they want to build him back up to the weight where he seemed most effective.

People criticised him for saying loads of things that didn't turn out to be true during the window, then he went underground for a few days when fans wanted answers about the failings in the window. Fair enough imo.

As for signing a player then being shocked by his appearance. That tells its own story.

At the same time one of the main reasons he wasn't rated at Rangers was due to the fact he was seen to be carrying far to much weight. Its only through the pre season that he has got back into shape...