Harper

snakehips

Haven't got a lot of time so I'll be brief (maybe JJ could expand a bit later :lol: )

Anyway, just reading a few of the threads and people seem to be a little hard on Harper imo. How many of us have actually seen him have a run in the team over the past few years??

Yes, Given is a world class shot stopper but, IMO, does NOT command the box like a real top class keeper should.

Now where Harper is lacking in shot stopping, maybe, just maybe, he might just command his box a lot better than Shay??

Just a thought, but maybe it's a case of swings and roundabouts with the two keepers? I sincerely hope we are pleasantly surprised by Harper's abilities after he has had a run in the team for a few games.

GO HARPS !!!!! :D:(:rolleyes:

Personally I've never thought that there was that much between them and Harper is unfortunate that he only gets one game in twenty so is unlikely to ever be at his best when he comes in.

Maybe this time he'll get a decent run and we can see just how good he is.

Hopefully Roeder will tell him that as long as he plays well he will keep his place in the team because he deserves that sort of loyalty in return for what he has given us.

Personally I've never thought that there was that much between them and Harper is unfortunate that he only gets one game in twenty so is unlikely to ever be at his best when he comes in.

Maybe this time he'll get a decent run and we can see just how good he is.

Hopefully Roeder will tell him that as long as he plays well he will keep his place in the team because he deserves that sort of loyalty in return for what he has given us.

Last time that happened shay spat his dummy out

I think Harper has put a curse on Shay Given as I heard an interview with him yesterday before the match saying he had a feeling when he signed the extension to his contract that he would get some games in the near future!

I think Harper has put a curse on Shay Given as I heard an interview with him yesterday before the match saying he had a feeling when he signed the extension to his contract that he would get some games in the near future!

Yes i was just thinking that aswell, he said he had a feeling his chance would come soon. I can imagine him sitting there jabbing voodoo dolls of shay.

Harper was a very good keeper and it was touch and go whether to opt for him or Shay as no 1. Shay threatened to walk so they gave him no. 1 spot and Harps has been unlucky that Shay's fitness record (and form for that matter) has been nothing short of incredible ever since. The odd occasion Harps has come on he's looked understandably rusty in the past, but in all fairness looked fine so far this season, time will tell!

Guest Patrokles

Yes i was just thinking that aswell, he said he had a feeling his chance would come soon. I can imagine him sitting there jabbing voodoo dolls of shay.

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...st&p=200257

Harper was a very good keeper and it was touch and go whether to opt for him or Shay as no 1. Shay threatened to walk so they gave him no. 1 spot and Harps has been unlucky that Shay's fitness record (and form for that matter) has been nothing short of incredible ever since. The odd occasion Harps has come on he's looked understandably rusty in the past, but in all fairness looked fine so far this season, time will tell!

When was that then? The only time that I remember getting a run of games is when Gullit was in charge and preferred him after Given had an injury, I think. Given's been our number since the day Dalglish signed him, apart from that short spell under Gullit.

Regarding Harper being a better commander of the box? :lol: If Given struggles to command the penalty box, Harper struggles to get the 6yard box in order. Really not looking forward to the next 6 weeks or whatever it'll be.

Haven't got a lot of time so I'll be brief (maybe JJ could expand a bit later :lol: )

:lol:

In my opinion one of the myths I used to read on the old toontastic a while back from time to time which I couldn't help but blow out of the water was the myth that if Harper had played regularly he'd have been England's number 1. He's Newcastle's number 2 for a reason. There's no shame in being ranked below Shay Given in the pecking order mind you, but in my opinion Steve Harper is a decent keeper. One who will do a job, but certainly not one in my eyes who was ever an international candidate.

In my opinion one of the myths I used to read on the old toontastic a while back from time to time which I couldn't help but blow out of the water was the myth that if Harper had played regularly he'd have been England's number 1. He's Newcastle's number 2 for a reason. There's no shame in being ranked below Shay Given in the pecking order mind you, but in my opinion Steve Harper is a decent keeper. One who will do a job, but certainly not one in my eyes who was ever an international candidate.

Aye, agree with that.

When chatting about this very subject today I mentioned that I thought Harper was just as good as Given. He done everything that could've been asked of him when he played during the CL run a few years back.

Do you not think that every single manager in the time he's been here rating Given a better 'keeper suggests that's bollocks?

Modest of you! :lol:

Modest of you! :nufc:

One of my best features, my modesty. :lol: