What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

It was a spot on read until the last paragraph...

In reality, technology might save the recording process. At the moment, Pro Tools operates at twice (or four times) the resolution of a CD. A great deal of quality is lost as those huge files are squished to the CD format, before being further squished into MP3s on your iPod. In a very few years, we’ll have 1 terabyte iPods, easily capable of handling thousands of recordings in their original high-definition form. At the same time, every part of the signal chain—from earbuds to digital/audio converters—is improving and getting cheaper. Studio software is also constantly developing, so perhaps mastering and compression can become more subtle and less abrasive. It’s quite possible that we’ll look back at the first years of this century as a crude interval of low-fidelity sound. And maybe the record industry will even persuade us to re-buy all those old records yet again.

Not saying the author should have known the future back in 2008, but in terms of what he/she hoped for it's gone the opposite way. The ipod is dead and streaming services rule now. Rather than larger files looking likely the move is towards even smaller ones that can be streamed over 3G networks.

All my ipod music is 320 kbps, but the default setting for spotify is mobile is just 96 kbps.

Perhaps faster mobile networks will improve that.

Speaking of which, my 2015 Spotify playlist is coming along now.

Added

Dodos

Sleater Kinney

Decemberists

Panda Bear

Viet Cong

Natalie Prass

Zun Zun Egui

Aphex Twin

Lupe Fiasco

Dan Deacon

Joey Bada$$

Pops Stables

Mark Ronson

So, listening to those.

Speaking of which, my 2015 Spotify playlist is coming along now.

Added

Zun Zun Egui

If you haven't already, check Zun Zun out live. They are great. Seen them two or three times now and each gig has been cracking, loads of energy. One of the times was at the Star and Shadow before they were picked up by their current label. They played for ages to about 10 people into the early hours. Was mint.

That Viet Cong new record is fantastic.

If you haven't already, check Zun Zun out live. They are great. Seen them two or three times now and each gig has been cracking, loads of energy. One of the times was at the Star and Shadow before they were picked up by their current label. They played for ages to about 10 people into the early hours. Was mint.

Maybe if they get up this way, I like the album.

Been listening to the new modest mouse, Kendrick Lamaar, Ghostface Killah & BBNG, Hot Chip, Drenge and Public Service Broadcasting singles. Looking forward to all those albums.

Just read that some bloke listened to 168 hours of nickleback continously. Can not help but think about the phrase of a rusty spoon and my ears.

How would somebody cleanse themselves after listening to that tripe for any giving time?