What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Give over lads, it's a classic.

As its end of the school year (got a daughter going from primary to comp), my daughter was talking how her year sang the Grease classic, "we go together".

It dawned on me that Grease came out 78 when I was 12.

We all know it was the greatest movie of all time, but more importantly, it fully explains not only my taste in music, but also the 80's.

You use the word "classic" there, does that word have a different meaning in the Metal Detecting world? Like "treasure" means "subterranean metal tat"?

Give over lads, it's a classic.

As its end of the school year (got a daughter going from primary to comp), my daughter was talking how her year sang the Grease classic, "we go together".

It dawned on me that Grease came out 78 when I was 12.

We all know it was the greatest movie of all time, but more importantly, it fully explains not only my taste in music, but also the 80's.

I know every word of all four sides of the Grease soundtrack due to my older sister. Also the Oliver! soundtrack, and several Disney films, all due to her domination of the dansette in the 70s. It's not that I hate any of that, but very soon after for me came Madness, the specials, the jam, all the punk/new wave stuff, electronic synth pop etc etc, a brief dalliance with ac/dc, thin lizzy, iron maiden etc after we moved to rural Scotland in 1980 which was what the older kids in the village listened to, along with Bowie who's Scary Monsters album came out the same year.

Then a bit later this hip hop/rap thing came in from the states and blew me away, I'd never heard anything like it before, I became obsessed with def jam, especially the Beastie Boys. I started reading the music press around this time and got into loads of indie stuff, I had the free C86 cassette which was the blueprint for sound which major labels would appropriate a few years later to make indie mainstream. A bit later I went to one of the first raves ever held in Scotland, and I saw Nirvana play to 500 people in Edinburgh. Loved it all.

I know loads of people with this sort of background, but I don't know anyone who's musical tastes were formed at 12 in the late 70s and never moved on in any wayshape or form :lol:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Edited by PaddockLad

I know every word of all four sides of the Grease soundtrack due to my older sister. Also the Oliver! soundtrack, and several Disney films, all due to her domination of the dansette in the 70s. It's not that I hate any of that, but very soon after for me came Madness, the specials, the jam, all the punk/new wave stuff, electronic synth pop etc etc, a brief dalliance with ac/dc, thin lizzy, iron maiden etc after we moved to rural Scotland in 1980 which was what the older kids in the village listened to, along with Bowie who's Scary Monsters album came out the same year.

Then a bit later this hip hop/rap thing came in from the states and blew me away, I'd never heard anything like it before, I became obsessed with def jam, especially the Beastie Boys. I started reading the music press around this time and got into loads of indie stuff, I had the free C86 cassette which was the blueprint for sound which major labels would appropriate a few years later to make indie mainstream. A bit later I went to one of the first raves ever held in Scotland, and I saw Nirvana play to 500 people in Edinburgh. Loved it all.

I know loads of people with this sort of background, but I don't know anyone who's musical tastes were formed at 12 in the late 70s and never moved on in any wayshape or form :lol:

:lol: A very good post but unfortunately, you're dealing with a bloke who thinks ITV dramas are the height of television.

I have lots of musical tastes and in my time have briefly been a punk (half hearted) and a heavy metal dude (until the head banging started to give me headaches).

But the 80's was the musics finest decade, without question.

I have lots of musical tastes and in my time have briefly been a punk (half hearted) and a heavy metal dude (until the head banging started to give me headaches).

:lol:

Not like you to try something for a bit then give it away.

Edited by toonotl

:lol: