What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I have lots of musical tastes and in my time have briefly been a punk (half hearted) and a heavy metal dude (until the head banging started to give me headaches).

But the 80's was the musics finest decade, without question.

Fuck off :lol:

Alex learned all the parts to that cartoon cat's rap, guaranteed.

Not really my cup of char, even back then. Level 42 are a guilty pleasure mind.

I started off liking stuff like Queen & Kate Bush as thats what my Dad listened to and I still like both today. But then through my brothers influence I started liking Punk & Ska. As I hit my teens and rebelling against pretty much anything I slid towards Goth & Metal and could regularly be found pissed in the Mayfair or the Broken Doll. My late teens I found drugs, or they found me and next thing I know I'm in the Carlisle Sands centre at a "Phobia" of my head to Altern-8 and Rozalla, after all, everybodys free :lol: This edged its way to me liking trance which I still listen to when out running. Pink Floyd, FSOL, The Orb, Primal Scream all came from getting stoned at my mates flat.

So aye, I've been through numerous musical styles and enjoyed, still do enjoy, many of them. But the 80s were fucking shit (mostly) and still to the day I have a general dislike of chart music.

i was more of a phil collins fan :lol:

I think that's ok if you're about 9, which you probably were. Liked a bit of Nik Kershaw around the same age. Phil Collins always reminds me of the player profiles in Shoot and Match annuals as he always seemed to be their favourite pop star.

Decent stuff in the 80s, I liked some stuff of Duran Duran, Prince, New Order, Specials, Dire Straits, . Madonna was the first lass to be pinned on my bedroom wall, then Wendy James & Blondie.

Decent stuff in the 80s, I liked some stuff of Duran Duran, Prince, New Order, Specials, Dire Straits, . Madonna was the first lass to be pinned on my bedroom wall, then Wendy James & Blondie.

First album I ever bought was Duran Duran (Seven and the Ragged Tiger). On cassette, of course.

no jacket required was the first album i ever owned. i must have been 6 or 7. used to love sussudio. still do, in an ironic, 80s kind of way. and easy lover will still get a dancefloor moving. quality bit of 80s cheese.

the 80s was a shit era for lots of things though, music being one of them, so it's no big surprise it's CT's favourite.

Main thing I think in the 80s most of us likely remember & dislike is the manufactured music from SA&W and anything similar.

Main thing I think in the 80s most of us likely remember & dislike is the manufactured music from SA&W and anything similar.

Roadblock was probably the best thing they ever did, which is ironic really given they didn't even pretend to be someone else on that one.

I think that's ok if you're about 9, which you probably were. Liked a bit of Nik Kershaw around the same age. Phil Collins always reminds me of the player profiles in Shoot and Match annuals as he always seemed to be their favourite pop star.

We were sorting through a load of my dad's old football programmes at the weekend and one of them (not so old, obviously) was from Kenny Wharton's testimonial. I can't remember if his interview mentioned his musical preferences but it did say that his post-playing ambitions were to become a football coach or, failing that, "a postman or something like that". Different times. Mind, footballers have always had lousy taste in music, then and now. The fact that Stuart Pearce could be held up as some kind of countercultural icon for liking the Sex Pistols is testament to that. :lol:

Not really my cup of char, even back then. Level 42 are a guilty pleasure mind.

Level 42 is an acceptable guilty pleasure.

But the 80s were fucking shit (mostly) and still to the day I have a general dislike of chart music.

80s chart music yes but where do you think all this chart stuff in the 90s started?

Sonic Youth, New Order, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Cabaret Voltaire, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, etc etc all came out of the 80s

We were sorting through a load of my dad's old football programmes at the weekend and one of them (not so old, obviously) was from Kenny Wharton's testimonial. I can't remember if his interview mentioned his musical preferences but it did say that his post-playing ambitions were to become a football coach or, failing that, "a postman or something like that". Different times. Mind, footballers have always had lousy taste in music, then and now. The fact that Stuart Pearce could be held up as some kind of countercultural icon for liking the Sex Pistols is testament to that. :lol:

:lol:

Was at that game btw

Level 42 is an acceptable guilty pleasure.

80s chart music yes but where do you think all this chart stuff in the 90s started?

Sonic Youth, New Order, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Cabaret Voltaire, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, etc etc all came out of the 80s

Every decade influences another naturally, Kate Bush is one of my favourite artists and she went on to influence current "chart music" that I dislike (Florence and the Machine as an example). Wasnt all bad as I say. Cocteau Twins I like and rose to fame in the 80s but are far from what I class as shit chart music in that era.